Hawk 1/32 rubberband powered car models from 1961 and 1962.

Started by CSMO, November 26, 2013, 07:00:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CSMO

Hawk Models from Chicago, Illinois made these action kits in 1961 and 1962. They had a widing crank on the back and small rubberbands that fit on the front drive wheels for traction.  They made two series of fictional cars. Four were "sports" cars and four were Bonneville Salt Flats type speed record cars. The sports cars look cool as they were rather futuristic looking in 1961. The speed cars used the same canopies used in some of their airplane kits.

I built a few when I was a teenager. I got the bug last year to collect and build all eight, acquiring them via e-Bay. I left the running gear out and built them as "curbside" models. They have been brush-painted with Testors, Humbrol, Xtracolor, Model Master, and Pactra paints. I have kept the boxes as the box-art looks pretty cool. The box-art certainly induced me to part with my pocket money as a youngster.

Adios, Larry. :mellow:

"Field Artillery brings dignity to what otherwise would be merely a vulgar brawl."

PR19_Kit

Amazing, I've never seen or even heard of them before. I guess they didn't export them to the UK, although lots of other Hawk kits got here in the period.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

bobbo

Wow!  I'd forgotten about these!  I remember now terrorizing my cat with one of these.

bobbo

Rheged

I really DO  like the description of a twisted elastic band as a "torque reaction drive"
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

Captain Canada

Those are awesome ! And good for you for building them ! The box art is pretty cool too...Torque Reaction Drive  :thumbsup:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

darthspud

one or two of the canopies look a tad familiar.
one looks to have come from a Hurricane, another from a Spitfire or similar.

cool cars though.
too old for a paper round, too young for me pensions, dammit, back to work then!

NARSES2

Quote from: PR19_Kit on November 26, 2013, 11:03:26 PM
Amazing, I've never seen or even heard of them before. I guess they didn't export them to the UK, although lots of other Hawk kits got here in the period.

Likewise Kit - you learn something new every day  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

martinbayer

Quote from: NARSES2 on November 28, 2013, 07:33:56 AM
Quote from: PR19_Kit on November 26, 2013, 11:03:26 PM

Likewise Kit - you learn something new every day  :thumbsup:

The series was actually reissued ten years ago by Testors, so they pop up on Ebay fairly regularly for not too much.

Martin
Would be marching to the beat of his own drum, if he didn't detest marching to any drumbeat at all so much.