B737 relief transport

Started by kerick, November 29, 2013, 10:19:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kerick

I was musing one night about what would happen if the world ever got serious about getting food and such delivered to the people who really need it in the parts of the world afflicted with famine or disaster. It occurred to me that the faithful B737 would be a great choice except for those FOD collectors hanging under the wings. Last thing a disaster relief agency needs is one of its aircraft with damaged engines sitting on some remote strip out of reach of the mechanics. If its not possible to get the engines any higher off the ground then one should get the wings higher in the air.

This is a 1/200 scale kit of a B737-800 with the long fuselage and winglets. I moved the wings to a fuselage top position and attached sponson wings in the normal position to hold the landing gear and a little more fuel. Everything else is unchanged. This is my first use of Aves epoxy putty and I'm quite impressed. I built a center section for the wings by slicing matching sections from F-14 wings. These were not quite thick enough so the Aves allowed me build it up and blend the wings into the fuselage. Sections sliced from a pair of wings from the parts box were used to build up the sponsons. Of course now I'm to the point of deciding on a paint scheme. I wanted to stay away from something military and more like a recognizable scheme that would let everyone know this is a shipment of food and such not a military mission. ANy ideas from furtile minded folks out there? Forgive my spelling, its late.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Cobra

How about Doing it in a Light Blue with UN or Red Cross type Markings with the Words "Disaster Response" on the Fuselage? Hope this Helps. Dan

buzzbomb

McColm

Spey_Phantom

on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

Rheged

Unexpected, but a sensible approach to the problem.  The other possible relief transport is the flying boat.  Yes, I know, major FOD problems to the hull in the aftermath of a disaster  but versatile in other respects.
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

darthspud

As it's a 'whif' why not do it in International Rescue scheme?
Thunderbird 7 or somesuch?
too old for a paper round, too young for me pensions, dammit, back to work then!

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Rheged on November 30, 2013, 01:45:39 AM
Unexpected, but a sensible approach to the problem.  The other possible relief transport is the flying boat.  Yes, I know, major FOD problems to the hull in the aftermath of a disaster  but versatile in other respects.

An amphibian would be even more useful, one with a high wing and two hefty turbofans. Now where would I get one of them?

A phone call to Beriev at Taganrog is called for I think?  ;)
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Tophe

[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

TallEng

Hmmm... Nice project :thumbsup: I would suggest plain white fuselage and light blue Cheatline
With blue lettering for the United Nations such as U.N.D.R. (United Nations Disaster Relief/Response
Or possibly have it sponsored by various Churches ie Nordchurchaid or Joint Church Aid, Canairelief
As in the Biafra conflict. The International Red Cross also springs to mind, same sort of colours as
The former Swissair perhaps?
Or as a base,(assuming use of ex-airliner type aircraft) pick your favorite airline colour scheme, remove/paint out The titles and Logos and add  The titles/logos from one of the above organizations.
For further inspiration I can recommend :
'Shadows, Airlift and Airwar in Biafra and Nigeria 1967-1970, by Michael I. Draper. ISBN 1 902109 63 5
A very interesting read indeed, :thumbsup: and loads of Wiff ideas too, I shouldn't wonder.
Just a couple of ideas...
Regards
Keith
The British have raised their security level from "Miffed" to "Peeved". Soon though, security levels may be raised yet again to "Irritated" or even "A Bit Cross". Londoners have not been "A Bit Cross" since the Blitz in 1940 when tea supplies ran out for three weeks

Captain Canada

Now that's a neat idea ! Love the look of it.

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

kerick

Thanks for the input and kind comments. I knew you guys would have great ideas. I hope to have better pics soon.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

martinbayer

Quote from: kerick on November 29, 2013, 10:19:06 PM
I was musing one night about what would happen if the world ever got serious about getting food and such delivered to the people who really need it in the parts of the world afflicted with famine or disaster. It occurred to me that the faithful B737 would be a great choice except for those FOD collectors hanging under the wings. Last thing a disaster relief agency needs is one of its aircraft with damaged engines sitting on some remote strip out of reach of the mechanics. If its not possible to get the engines any higher off the ground then one should get the wings higher in the air.

One way to increase engine ground clearance while maintaining the general layout and wing position would be to put the turbofans above the wing a la VFW 614: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VFW-Fokker_614

I've always had a soft spot for that design :smiley:.

Martin
Would be marching to the beat of his own drum, if he didn't detest marching to any drumbeat at all so much.

kitnut617

Great idea kerick, I've had similar thoughts along these lines.

Here's something I'm working on right at this moment, I'm calling it an Airbus A310TP   --- in 1/72 scale

If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike