Antonov большое торговое судно (or Argosy)

Started by 63cpe, December 01, 2013, 09:33:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

63cpe

Hi all,

While the other projects aren't finished yet I started with the next one...Weather is awfull, everything i need is there..So let's start cutting...The plan is to create a soviet transport with the AW Argosy in mind. As usual everything is bigger and better (or uglier and more crude) with the sovjets so an Argosy would fit in perfectly! Besides I always wondered how an Argosy would look like in 60-ies Aeroflot livery.
So here goes nothing! I'll come up with the story later, but feel free to fil me in.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jetsonsspecial/11154907224/

In the background there is still the Myasichev (or Bartini-Tsybin; not dicided yet) 3 engined concept bomber i'm currently working on. A lot of sanding (400 and 600) because it will be sprayed in aluminium.
Hope you'll like the pictures.

David

Martin H

that looks like an interesting project. I will be following this one ;D
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

Captain Canada

Wow...that looks like a lot of work ! Going to be sweet tho

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

McColm

PR19_Kit

Will it have a gun turret on BOTH tailbooms?  ;D

It looks darned impressive so far, all that cutting and shutting's worked reallywell.  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

63cpe

Hi McColm,

I'm using 2x Roden's Antonov-12, the booms of an Noratlas and cockpit etc. from an Airfix F.27 Friendship.
The booms are lenghtenend with sheet styrene and the stabilo will be scratched. The props will be doubled (contra-rotating).

So there is still a lot of work to be done! This was only day one...

David

63cpe

@PR_19......ehm.....well....ehm. As i come to think of it...maybe, there is not enough room for rear turrets. But i guess there is enough room for barbettes....anyway i'll see what i can do!

David

McColm

I might try that out on a Heller 1/72 C-160.Add a cockpit to the roof and cut the front to form camshell doors. Its ironic that I have a Friendship and Noratlas in my stash .Used the cockpit of the Noratlas on the Playfix Mil-6 Hook.
I look forward to your build .

63cpe

OK, well..Here's an update on this project. At last things are taking shape....

https://www.flickr.com/photos/129378670@N05/

As PR19_kit suggested it will have twin AN-12 rear turrets. This meant I had to change both tail booms. in an earlier stage is planned to use lengthend the tailbooms of an Nord Noratlas. But the turrets from the An-12 meant i had to use beefier booms. There was still an C-119 in the stash so used those booms. These also had to be lengthened for about 5,5 centimeters. I used glue sticks for this as is was just 1 millimeter short in diameter and the right length.

Besides the booms I'm also using the engine nacelles and inner wing of the C-119. As you can see in the pictures the upper halve of the innerwings are still an bit too long. When trimmed, the wings will be straight. Only the outer end of both wings will droop as the An-12. The tail plane also comes from the C-119. I'm amazed how the different parts of the C-119 fit this project! I'm pleased with that!

The main undercarriage will be in the same way as the An-12 has although back to back as the fuselage was lengthened using another fuselage of an An-12.

Now most parts are roughly in the right place and shaped correctly. I turn to the fuselage for painting and getting the windows in. I also have to make the front and rear cargo doors out of balsa wood, putty both and sand, sand, sand........ I think next update will take a while...

David

PR19_Kit

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

63cpe

I totally agree! It's amazing how well the innerwing and stabilo of the C-119 fits the An-12..

Of course the wing/tailbooms and stabilo assembly have to be raised in the final stages of the construction....

Dizzyfugu

VERY cool! And it even keeps that Soviet touch... Looking forward to see what becoem of it.  :thumbsup:

McColm

Captain Canada

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

KiwiZac

What a monster. I love it! And to me the pictures, even in this rough state, scream "ARGOSY"!

Gonna follow this with GREAT interest!!
Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates