GD F-111 fixed wing concepts

Started by McColm, December 01, 2013, 03:56:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

McColm

What if the Defence Secretary Robert S. McNamara  had insisted that a fixed wing F-111 be built as  an alternative to the BAC TSR.2?
I'm sure talks between General Dynamics and Boeing might have gone smoothly with each company coming up with their own designs. This may have lead to a naval version entering service.

Using the kits in my stash all 1/72 scale on a Airfix F-111A base model ;
The wings from a Airfix TSR.2
The wings from a B-66 Destroyer
The wings off a B-58 Hustler and if they are too big   I have a Mirage IVA .
Might even try the F-8E.

As in the real world the F-111 was built between 1963-1976.Which reflects on the wings choosen. I do have a few broken EF-111 kits in my stash which would go to build another example a long with a Su-24 Fencer .So three builds to work with .

kerick

F-15 wings would look good and if you want to stay in the time period perhaps you could simplify the outline of them.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

McColm

pyro-manic

A-5 Vigilante wings would work too.
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

kerick

Sounds cool either way!
So, who's gonna build it????
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

McColm

Something for me to do in between the C-97 and B-29 builds or waiting for the glue to dry on the EC-130V "mad hatter ".

McColm

If a fellow Whiffer sends me their Email address then I can them pictures and they can put them on this topic (s ) on my behalf .
Willing to pay if you live in the UK .

63cpe

Well, that's an coincidence. I just built an simplified f-111 variant out of an sectioned and shortend b-58 fuselage including tail, b-66 stabilo's, F-111 wings and b-66 engines. It's waiting for the paintjob (USAF South east asia scheme with light grey belly). It all works pretty well. I'll post pictures this evening.

I've built the cockpit a side by side one, so it's got to be rather cramped in real live!

Dizzyfugu

A-5 wings would be a very good choice, second that. What a fixed-wing F-111 (well, may a kind of bloated SEPECAT Jaguar...) could look like might be seen in real life through China's JH-7A:

McColm

The A-5 wings do fit,just done a dry run .

63cpe

Or....it might have looked like this:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jetsonsspecial/12559759744

This started as a leftover from an Hustler super cruiser project (still working on it..),but turned out nicely.  I'm finishing it at this moment as the weathering and a cote of future is still to be done.

I hope you like it!

David

kitbasher

Quote from: McColm on December 01, 2013, 03:56:00 PM
What if the Defence Secretary Robert S. McNamara  had insisted that a fixed wing F-111 be built as  an alternative to the BAC TSR.2?
I'm sure talks between General Dynamics and Boeing might have gone smoothly with each company coming up with their own designs. This may have lead to a naval version entering service.

Using the kits in my stash all 1/72 scale on a Airfix F-111A base model ;
The wings from a Airfix TSR.2
The wings from a B-66 Destroyer
The wings off a B-58 Hustler and if they are too big   I have a Mirage IVA .
Might even try the F-8E.

As in the real world the F-111 was built between 1963-1976.Which reflects on the wings choosen. I do have a few broken EF-111 kits in my stash which would go to build another example a long with a Su-24 Fencer .So three builds to work with .

Party pooper time.  

Just use an A-5 Vigilante?  No cutting or shutting, just a new paint job.

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on December 02, 2013, 12:35:36 AM
A-5 wings would be a very good choice, second that. What a fixed-wing F-111 (well, may a kind of bloated SEPECAT Jaguar...) could look like might be seen in real life through China's JH-7A:

I always think it's more like a fixed-wing Tornado (http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,37905.msg616741.html#msg616741), but I can see why some may compare it to a 'bloated Jaguar'.

What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

TinMan

I think the wings off an F-4 wint the tips canted down would look pretty cool. I had seen this done on another aircraft. I tink it was an F-18. Looked pretty cool. :o
TinMan

McColm