When did "sprues" become "runners"

Started by van883, December 01, 2013, 11:00:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

van883

I got a copy of the Airfix magazine at Telford and note that "sprues" have become "runners". When did this happen?

Seems a bit like when "transfers" became "decals"

Van :blink:

Father Ennis

As far as I know, the two terms are and have always been interchangeable. It was only the speaker/author choice.   I always thought we used decals over here in the US while the Europeans used transfers ???    Come to think of it, I think that properly the sprue is the connection of part to "runner" and the long pieces to which they were attached were properly called runners.

PR19_Kit

There are some people on here who STILL use 'transfers'...........  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

JayBee

Everyone here uses transfers, just some can not spell properly.  :wacko:
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

Rheged

Sprue  is also young, fresh asparagus........lovely with Hollandaise  or melted butter.

Yes, I too am a reactionary who still thinks of "transfers"
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

zenrat

I'd always assumed transfers = Uk.  Decals = Aus & USA.

Now, is it dee-cals or deck-alls?

Or stickers?

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

PR19_Kit

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Dork the kit slayer

:blink:Tomato tomayto........................lets call the whole thing off :blink:
Im pink therefore Im Spam...and not allowed out without an adult    

http://plasticnostalgia.blogspot.co.uk/

Weaver

I've always used "Decals" (pron. Dek-alce) since it seemed to be pretty universal. I've always understood "Decals" to be water-slide, whereas "transfers" are either sticky-back ("stickers") or rub-down Letraset-style things.

Technically, I believe the long frames of an injection moulding are the "trees" or "runners" and a "sprue" is just the stub that connects a part to them, however since "sprue" is pretty much universally used and understood, I wouldn't worry about it (unless you're actually talking to an injection moulding company... ;) )

Language evolves and changes all the time, and what really matters is how people are using it for real, not how behind-the-curve academics say they should be using it. The best dictionary in the world is still only a snapshot of a particular moment in the process.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Captain Canada

In certain parts of Yankee controlled Amercia it's dee-cals. To us Canucks it's deck-als. Transfers to me are iron-ons, or the old school ones you had to burnish down.

It's been a sprue as long as I can remember. never heard anyonw call it a runner. A runner is when you skip out with paying  :thumbsup:

Also heard it called a 'parts tree'.

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

NARSES2

Quote from: Weaver on December 02, 2013, 04:54:31 AM
Technically, I believe the long frames of an injection moulding are the "trees" or "runners" and a "sprue" is just the stub that connects a part to them, however since "sprue" is pretty much universally used and understood, I wouldn't worry about it (unless you're actually talking to an injection moulding company... ;) )

Language evolves and changes all the time, and what really matters is how people are using it for real, not how behind-the-curve academics say they should be using it. The best dictionary in the world is still only a snapshot of a particular moment in the process.

Agree with both statements mate  :thumbsup: The French and others have tried to regulate their language and have failed.

Must admit I've always called them sprues and sprue gates however. But it's transfers for me, a little bit old to change now although as mentioned above by a few it's perhaps not quite the correct word technically, but when did I ever let that bother me  ;D
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

jcf

The terminology comes from metal casting in which one has gates, runners/trees/sprues(interchangeable terms)
and risers. The melt is poured into the mould via the gate, runs along the runners and the displaced air/vapours
exit via the risers. A reservoir is usually at the gate, it allows easier pouring and the increased mass of metal
allows for more controlled shrinkage on cooling. In jewelry scale investment casting this is generally called the button.
I haven't cast anything in yonks but I will say that it can be great fun working with molten metal.  :thumbsup:

NARSES2

Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on December 02, 2013, 10:49:27 AM
I haven't cast anything in yonks but I will say that it can be great fun working with molten metal.  :thumbsup:

Sure can be. We did some aluminium casting at school, indeed I still use the vice I made using the method back then. We melted down old milk bottle tops  :thumbsup:

I used to take every opportunity I could get to watch blast furnaces and BOS/Arc furnaces being tapped when I was at work. Exhilarating is the only word for it. There's something very primal about molten metal being poured, it's got a life. Our ancestors weren't far wrong when they built ceremonies around it.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Rheged

Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on December 02, 2013, 10:49:27 AM
The terminology comes from metal casting in which one has gates, runners/trees/sprues(interchangeable terms)
and risers.

.......and then, after the casting has cooled, the unwanted  gates ("useless  gits"  in Black Country dialect)  are removed.................and thus an insult is created too!
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

zenrat

How about that.  You learn something new every day.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..