IAMI Saegeh (صاعقه); Islamic Republic of Iran Air Force (IRIAF)

Started by Dizzyfugu, December 01, 2013, 11:44:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dizzyfugu

Unfortunately this does not qualify for the Asiarama GB, but here we go... a semi-whif!  :party:

1:72 IAMI Saegeh (صاعقه);aircraft "2-7275" of 51 Squadron,Islamic Republic of Iran Air Force (IRIAF); Vahdati AB; August 2012 (Whif/Hobby Boss kit conversion) - Fake TV footage ;) by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

1:72 IAMI Saegeh (صاعقه);aircraft "2-7275" of 51 Squadron,Islamic Republic of Iran Air Force (IRIAF); Vahdati AB; August 2012 (Whif/Hobby Boss kit conversion) - Fake TV footage ;) by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

Some background:

The Saeqeh (Persian: صاعقه, "Thunderbolt"), alternatively spelt Sa'eqeh, Shaequeh or Saegheh, is an Iranian built single-seat jet fighter, derived from the American Northrop F-5. It is a joint product of the Islamic Republic of Iran Air Force and the Iranian Ministry of Defense, and the second generation of the Iranian Azarakhsh fighter.

The Saeqeh was originally called the Azarakhsh 2 or Saeqeh-80. The number 80 corresponded to the Iranian year 1380 (2001), which was the originally planned date for the first flight. However, after delays in development, the number 80 was abandoned and the Saeqeh project continued with the alias "Azarakhsh-2".

1:72 IAMI Saegeh (صاعقه);aircraft "2-7275" of 51 Squadron,Islamic Republic of Iran Air Force (IRIAF); Vahdati AB; August 2012 (Whif/Hobby Boss kit conversion) by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

1:72 IAMI Saegeh (صاعقه);aircraft "2-7275" of 51 Squadron,Islamic Republic of Iran Air Force (IRIAF); Vahdati AB; August 2012 (Whif/Hobby Boss kit conversion) by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

The Saeqeh is the most advanced F-5 modification project known and was developed by MATSA Air Force Technology and Electronic Center and the Shahid Sattari Air Force University of Tehran, starting in 1998. The airframe is very similar to the Northrop F-5, the most significant difference are twin vertical stabilizers, but there are also other differences like modified air intakes.

The first prototype of the jet made its first test flight in 30 May 2004, and the aircraft was revealed to the public via state television in July of the same year. The first prototype also featured new afterburners, and reports exist that the first prototype serial [S110-001] had square air inlets, at least for some time. Production aircraft reverted to the F-5E style air intakes, even though this should later change once more.

According to the translation by the Washington-Based Middle East Media Research Institute (MEMRI) of a broadcast on Islamic Republic of Iran News Network (IRINN), the Saeqeh became operational on September 6, 2006, when it participated in an Iranian military war game exercise called "Blow of Zulfiqar". In that exercise, which began on August 19, 2006, the new fighter carried out actions described as "a mission to bomb virtual enemy targets", and "a mock bombing mission". Two prototypes, which appeared to differ from the one that had been shown previously, conducted a fly-past at Tehran's Mehrabad Airport on 20 September 2007. Three prototypes took part in a military parade on 22 September 2007, and serial production was handed over to Iranian Aircraft Manufacturing Industries (IAMI).

Little information on the specifications of the Saeqeh has been released, so it is uncertain how much the type differs from the F-5E. The Commander of the Islamic Republic of Iran Air Force, Brigadier-General Ahmad Mighani, said that the Saeqeh is up-to-date in terms of aerodynamic balance and in possessing missile and radar systems. The new design is said to show a significantly improved take-off and turning performance, and in 2008 Iran announced the aircraft has a range of 3,000 km.

The fighter-bomber's latest incarnation features a digital glass cockpit and other improvements, as well as "the ability to track down enemy aircraft, engage in combat, target locations on the ground, and carry an assortment of weapons and ammunition". The Managing Director of the Aviation Organization of the Ministry of Defense and Logistics of the Armed Forces, Majid Hedayat, described the Saeqeh as a logistic and combat plane with high maneuvering capability and the ability to bomb close targets. The fighter jet is claimed to be "similar to the F-18 fighter jet, but it is more capable and has been manufactured domestically," the commander of the Iranian army General Attollah Salehi was quoted as saying by the state news agency IRNA.

Foreign sources remain skeptic as the installments on the aircraft are doubted to be any superior to the ones of the F-5, for the capacity to load armaments is obviously not very different. With the same number of attachment points on the wings and identical configuration, the Saegeh will be able to serve as an attack airplane but it will hardly be able to face more sophisticated aircraft, esp. in air-to-air direct combat.

In September 2010, Iran displayed the first complete squadron of Saeqeh fighter jets during an air show staged during military parades at the beginning of the Iranian Sacred Defense, and production seemed to continue as in May 2012 three new-generation Saeqeh fighters (correct designation unknown, but again with modified air intakes) had been manufactured and delivered to the Iranian Air Force. These aircraft reportedly carry armament of Soviet/Russian origin, including R-3 "Atoll" and R-73 "Archer" AAMs, as well as radio-guided Kh-23 "Kerry" AGMs (which require a separate pod with guidance equipment, though), TV-guided KAB-500kr smart bombs, napalm tanks and iron bombs of various caliber of up to 500 kg (907 lb).

On 26 August 2012, deputy Defence Minister Mohammad Eslami announced that an upgraded version of the Saeqeh, with enhanced radar systems and smart munitions, would be introduced in the Iranian Air Force by the end of the Solar Hijri year 1391 (2013).

General Characteristics:

Crew: 1
Length: 52.13ft (15.89m)
Width: 26.67ft (8.13m)
Height: 13.12ft (4.00m)
Weight (Empty): 9,700lbs (4,400kg)
Weight (MTOW): 19,842lbs (9,000kg)

Performance (estimated):
Maximum Speed: 1,056mph (1,700kmh; 918kts)
Maximum Range: 1,864miles (3,000km)
Service Ceiling: 52,493ft (16,000m; 9.9miles)
Rate-of-Climb: 34,400 feet per minute (10,485m/min)

Powerplant:
2x afterburning turbojet engines of unknown type (probably General Electric J85 engines or close derivatives)

Armament:
1× (early versions 2×) internal 20mm cannon, probably M39A2 guns of American origin
A total of seven hard points (incl. Wing tip missile mounts) for various air-to-air, air-to-surface guided or drop munitions including missiles, bombs, rocket pods and fuel drop tanks.

The kit and its assembly:
A rather simple whif, close to reality - kind of a semi-whif, if that exists at all? Besides, I wonder why there are no kits of this Iranian F-5 derivative available, not even conversion kits? The Saegeh has been around for some time in the real world, mostly as a phantom, though, but it seems to be overlooked. Time for a change, even though I must admit that I considered the first pictures I saw of it some time ago to be Photoshop jokes, and it is not the sexiest aircraft. But it is easy to realize, and here's my take on it.

1:72 IAMI Saegeh (صاعقه); aircraft "2-7275" of 51 Squadron,Islamic Republic of Iran Air Force (IRIAF); Vahdati AB; August 2012 (Semi-Whif/Hobby Boss kit conversion) - WiP by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

1:72 IAMI Saegeh (صاعقه); aircraft "2-7275" of 51 Squadron,Islamic Republic of Iran Air Force (IRIAF); Vahdati AB; August 2012 (Semi-Whif/Hobby Boss kit conversion) - WiP by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

Another reason why I built one is that I actually wanted an aircraft in the smart IRIAF MiG-29 (also seen on Chinese MiG-21F/Chengdu F-7) paint scheme in pale, bluish gray and sand with small roundels and only a few stencils. Since I could not find any picture of an in-service Saegeh (you only find the Blue Angels style demonstrators, or some parade paint schemes), this indigenous aircraft would be the ideal option to realize such a project.

"My" Saegeh is based on the Hobby Boss F-5E, only with minor changes. Compared to the simple, smaller Hobby Boss kits this one turned out to be disappointing. While there is ample detail in the cockpit and landing gear wells as well as fine engravings, the overall fit is rather poor, esp. between the fuselage halves, the wings, even the landing gear remains a puzzle. Well, I do not regret that I donated the kit to the whif surgery table.

Most obvious addition are the twin fins – these are actually the outer wing parts from a vintage Matchbox F-5 which I cut down to about 3.2 cm and simply glued to the rear fuselage, where the original central fin was simply omitted and its fairing leveled out. The spine's end was shaped after consulting pictures of the real aircraft, but I did not get the outer base area of the twin fins right – I  did not find good pictures of that fuselage section in time, but the result is very O.K., anyway, so I stuck with it.

One cannon was removed (according to pics of real Saegeh, even though some specimen feature two of them?), and I provided the aircraft with ordnance of Russian origin: a pair of modern R-73 AAMs on the wing tip rails (from the very good ICM Rusiian/Soviet AAM set), and a pair of vintage Kh-23 AGMs (from the not-so-good mixed set from Master Craft). As a design gimmick I added a guidance pod for the latter under one of the outer pylons - not certain if that would be necessary, it just looks cool...

A Matchbox pilot was added, as well as some blade antennae, an air scoop on the rear fuselage and something what looks like stabilizers/connectors at the base of the fins' inside. The arrestor hook was omitted, even though some Saegae seem to carry one - sources remain controversial.

Painting and markings:
As mentioned above, this model, despite being based on a real world aircraft, is to depict a contemporary but fictional service aircraft in IRIAF colors. Iranian MiG-29s became the benchmark for the cammo pattern and the colors.

IRIAF MiG-29 almost have a surreal look, esp. when fresh from the factory, but the paint seems to deteriorate quickly and fade out so that the appearance differs strongly from picture to picture.

Taking pictures of real IRIAF aircraft from airliners.net and a painting guidance from Begemot as benchmarks I decided to mix the colors. The overall grey is 50% Humbrol 127 (FS 36375) plus 40% Humbrol 147 (FS 36495) and 10% Russian Cockpit Tourquise, as the original color appears to have a greenish, even teal hue, at least when fresh. Other aircraft show a pale and dull gray, similar to FS 36375, if not lighter – there's a wide range of tones.
The sand tone is based on Humbrol 121 (60%), with some Humbrol 94 (30%) and 64 (10%). After a black ink wash both tones were thoroughly dry-brushed with lighter shades, in order to simulate a sun-bleached and somewhat dusty look, blurring the edges and emphasizing the panel lines.

Decals come from various aftermarket decal sheets, most of them from an F-5 Aztec Decal sheet, the aforementioned Begemot MiG-29 sheet (which offers more then 50 options for different aircraft!) and even from a MicroScale Su-24 sheet, plus some warning stencils from the Hobby Boss kit itself and the scrap box.

With some graphite, soot stains and dirt around the engines was added, and finally everything sealed under a coat of matt acrylic varnish.

The cockpit interior was kept medium gray (Humbrol 140), while the landing gear is all Aluminum, as well as the inside of the opened air brakes and the landing gear wells.

Overall, a simple (semi) whif, and the twin fins suit the F-5E well – even though I have my doubts that just adding these improves a Tiger II's performance to F/A-18 level?

rickshaw

Very nice.  I've been considering doing one for some time.  Yours looks good!   :thumbsup:
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

Dizzyfugu

Quote from: rickshaw on December 02, 2013, 01:46:38 AM
Very nice.  I've been considering doing one for some time.  Yours looks good!   :thumbsup:

Thank you! I must admit that it is easy to realize - but finding suitable twin fins proved to be tricky. I was lucky to find the vintage F-5 wings, they are a very good option. On the other side, I did not get the rear end right, I did not find good pics of the rear flanks where the fins are literally bolted onto the fuselage - the real thing features rather crude fairings, so my interpretation looks more elegant than the true Iranian product...  :rolleyes: Anyway, the sand/grey livery came out nicely, and the in-flight pics demonstrate well how effective this cammo pattern is.

comrade harps

Love it.  :wub:

QuoteAnyway, the sand/grey livery came out nicely
Nice and faded and grimy.  :thumbsup:
Whatever.

Mossie

I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

sandiego89

Nice use of the F-5 wings for the vertical stabs.  Well done.
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

Captain Canada

Beauty ! Great job on that one. Always loved the F-5, and that one looks awesome. I doubt too that it improves performace that much. Maybe quite a bit tho !?

:thumbsup:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

tc2324

Nicely built and presented as always Dizzy.  :thumbsup:

Think that`s the first model of it I`ve seen?
74 `Tiger` Sqn Association Webmaster

Tiger, Tiger!

Dizzyfugu

Thanks a lot, everyone. I was also not able to find a model/kitbash so far, I was and am surprised that there are not any to find, as this thing is rather easy to create?

:cheers:

TallEng

Nice work  :thumbsup: as ever Dizzy, and the desert Camouflage looks good as well.
Like many people I do wonder how adding twin fins 'improves' the F5 :unsure:
Surely if you wanted to improve the F5 you'd stick an F404 engine in the back and call it done ;D

Regards
Keith
The British have raised their security level from "Miffed" to "Peeved". Soon though, security levels may be raised yet again to "Irritated" or even "A Bit Cross". Londoners have not been "A Bit Cross" since the Blitz in 1940 when tea supplies ran out for three weeks

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

nighthunter

Quote from: TallEng on December 02, 2013, 06:59:41 AM
Nice work  :thumbsup: as ever Dizzy, and the desert Camouflage looks good as well.
Like many people I do wonder how adding twin fins 'improves' the F5 :unsure:
Surely if you wanted to improve the F5 you'd stick an F404 engine in the back and call it done ;D

Regards
Keith
Make that two F404's LOL
"Mind that bus." "What bus?" *SPLAT!*

perttime

Quote from: nighthunter on December 02, 2013, 10:28:26 AM
Quote from: TallEng on December 02, 2013, 06:59:41 AM
... Surely if you wanted to improve the F5 you'd stick an F404 engine in the back and call it done ;D
Make that two F404's LOL
But then you'd have to mount the wing at the rear and the stab at the front to balance it...