Saab 32 Lansen in a three tone cammo?

Started by Dizzyfugu, December 04, 2013, 01:52:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dizzyfugu

Uh, no creative pressure, please - I got another current one (inspired by PM correspondence and a recent post here in the forum) on the list. But the kit is already there: came today (= over night), it's one of the most recent re-boxings. Some serious flash on the kit, and a shame that there's no ordnance included.  :angry:

But this one is, nevertheless, on the list - after along time!

As a side note: checked the magazine where I found the profile, and there "FC 29" is attributed to 15th Squadron in 1967 (the squadron badge of this aicraft shows a standing/rearing griffon on a ble and yellow ground) - but after Pellson's comments I doubt this, too, as the letter code does not match at all. I also found a signature/source of this profile: someone called Michael Römer, probably a German artist.

kitbasher

See the December 2013 edition of Airfix Modelworld for a Lansen article, including details of colours used.

Only ever seen one Lansen - at Aeroseum (http://www.aeroseum.se/) just outside Gothenburg:

A very handsome aircraft.
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

martinbayer

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on December 07, 2013, 03:42:37 AM
I also found a signature/source of this profile: someone called Michael Römer, probably a German artist.

You're right, here's an online source http://www.aerografik.de/, and here is the specific profile http://www.roemer-grafik.de/grafikpool/POOL_S.HTM.

Martin
Would be marching to the beat of his own drum, if he didn't detest marching to any drumbeat at all so much.

Pellson

Quote from: martinbayer on December 07, 2013, 11:29:01 AM
and here is the specific profile http://www.roemer-grafik.de/grafikpool/POOL_S.HTM.
Martin

Nice profiles allover, but fomr some reason with several unnecessary mistakes. Apart from the sqn/wing calls and the already discussed camo scheme, the angle of the drop tanks on the Danish Draken is.. surprising..

Back to the Lansens profiles, the two black and white planes are real and were used as test vehicles approximately as described on the German site.

The badges however, are from top to bottom:
- F15 in Soderhamn (15th Wing), a rampant goat. Coat of arms derived from the coat of arms of Halsingland, the province where the wing was located. The province CoA is at least since the early 16th century, probably somewhat older.
- F6 in Karlsborg (6th Wing), coat of arms derived from the CoA of the local provice Västergötland, a rampant lion, all shield split diagonally in black and yellow. Interestingly, the sister wing F7 which was established simultaneously and within the same province got the same CoA but without the white stars. Again, the province CoA is quite old, at least dating from the late 15th century.
- F17 in Ronneby (17th Wing), again CoA derived from province CoA, this time an oak growing through the three swedish crowns. This CoA is somewhat younger being established in the late 17th century when the new naval base Karlskrona was established in the area. The reason for the location was threefold. 1: A southerly harbour more seldom gets frozen over. 2. At the location, Swedens southernmost archipelago protects the harbour from weather but through deliberate fortification, also from enemies. 3: The area is traditionally home to vast oak forests - which incidentally provided the main construction material for warships in those days and thus, the royal crowns and an oak was chosen as the CoA.

About the Drakens, btw - the Draken flew uncamouflages as per the recce draken profile, but only in it's early fighter versions (J35A and J35B) and this lasted only a a few years until the ubiquitous bluegrey/dark olive scheme trialled on the Lansen was introduced allover the fleet. The recce Drakens never flew operationally without it.
The top camouflaged profile is correct, but only for the first three squadrons of J35A delivered to F13 in Norrköping, and as these within a few years were substituted with later Draken versions, the camo pattern was quickly disused.
Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

Dizzyfugu

Once more, many thanks for the input! Just finished another Scandinavian project (pics posted today) and am already checking for decals and codes...  :wacko: Still some other work to do, though, but I can already see "my" Lansen in Humbrol 118, 86 and 91, with RLM76 undersides.  :rolleyes: