Soviet/Russian cockpit colours

Started by rickshaw, December 04, 2013, 10:21:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rickshaw

I've noticed over the years that Soviet/Russian aircraft cockpits are painted a sort of bilious green colour.  Does anybody know the FS number or even an approximation in Humbrol/Tamiya colours?
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

Dizzyfugu

There is no real Humbrol equivalent, but you might mix 65 with 88. Not certain about Tamiya.

There's a respective enamel from Modelmaster/Testors available, though, from the Authentic line, which is not available everywhere, though.

PR19_Kit

It's a sort of greeny blue colour.

Apparently it's meant to be relaxing for the flight crews but I think it's a product of the same Soviet paint plant that made that awful green they use on all their landing gear wheels. I'm pretty sure that some apparatchik got a decimal point in the wrong place when they made those mixes and produced BILLIONS of litres when it should only have been thousands......
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

rickshaw

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on December 05, 2013, 01:32:06 AM
There is no real Humbrol equivalent, but you might mix 65 with 88. Not certain about Tamiya.

There's a respective enamel from Modelmaster/Testors available, though, from the Authentic line, which is not available everywhere, though.

Any idea as to the Testors colour?

scooter

Quote from: rickshaw on December 05, 2013, 05:48:44 AM
Quote from: Dizzyfugu on December 05, 2013, 01:32:06 AM

Any idea as to the Testors colour?

Modelmaster SKU# 2135 "USSR Interior (SG) Blue/Green"
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

NARSES2

Quote from: PR19_Kit on December 05, 2013, 02:54:19 AM
It's a sort of greeny blue colour.

Apparently it's meant to be relaxing for the flight crews but I think it's a product of the same Soviet paint plant that made that awful green they use on all their landing gear wheels. I'm pretty sure that some apparatchik got a decimal point in the wrong place when they made those mixes and produced BILLIONS of litres when it should only have been thousands......

Apparently the wheel colour is because they are all produced in the same place and prior to WWII the factory made tractors. Come WWII and they used the same paint and no ones managed to get them to change it yet  ;D If it ain't broke don't fix it  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

NARSES2

Quote from: rickshaw on December 04, 2013, 10:21:53 PM
I've noticed over the years that Soviet/Russian aircraft cockpits are painted a sort of bilious green colour.  Does anybody know the FS number or even an approximation in Humbrol/Tamiya colours?

There's now a Russian company producing accurate colours

http://www.cybermodeler.com/hobby/paint/akan/paint_akan_47319.shtml
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

rickshaw

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on December 05, 2013, 06:19:55 AM

It's #2135 -google is your friend.

http://www.testors.com/products/573264

I was hoping my friends here would come through, and they did!  Thanks.

However, there appears to be nothing comparable in any of the acrylics (my preferred type) I can find downunder.  Bugger!    :banghead:

Having however done a bit more research I find that Chinese aircraft don't use that colour!  Hurrah!  I am saved for the moment!   :thumbsup:

Librarian

www.WhiteEnsignModels.com have a very nice range of WW2 and Modern Soviet/Russian colours. ACSM07 Interior Turquoise would be the colour you're after. I use the enamels, not sure if they do acrylic.

Dizzyfugu

I have also used PRU Blue (the Humbrol tone has a rather turquoise touch) for Soviet/Russian cockpits. Looks good, too, and is not as mind-boggling as the "real" cockpit tone.

NARSES2

Quote from: Librarian on December 06, 2013, 03:21:28 AM
www.WhiteEnsignModels.com have a very nice range of WW2 and Modern Soviet/Russian colours. ACSM07 Interior Turquoise would be the colour you're after. I use the enamels, not sure if they do acrylic.

Enamels only, very good I must say though  :thumbsup:

lancer

Another good match for Russian cockpit green is Vallejo's Emerald. I've used it a few times now and it looks very close to the real thing.
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

zenrat

Quote from: lancer on December 07, 2013, 12:03:29 PM
Another good match for Russian cockpit green is Vallejo's Emerald. I've used it a few times now and it looks very close to the real thing.

Which is acrylic.  The Victorian Hobby Centre in Melbourne carry Vallejo
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..