Radios in Aircraft

Started by KJ_Lesnick, December 07, 2013, 03:12:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KJ_Lesnick

What were the first aircraft to have radios of any kind, and what were the first to have voice radios?
That being said, I'd like to remind everybody in a manner reminiscent of the SNL bit on Julian Assange, that no matter how I die: It was murder (even if there was a suicide note or a video of me peacefully dying in my sleep); should I be framed for a criminal offense or disappear, you know to blame.

kerick

I remember reading about how Charles Lindburg's aircraft had radios when he explored routes to South America in 1928. It was an HF radio using Morse code.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Rheged

RE 8  aircraft of the   RFC  were certainly  using morse radio as  artillery spotters in World  War  One. The  only other detail that I can recall  is  that "GG"  was code for "on  target,  barrage fire"
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

rickshaw

Presently reading "Air War Gallipoli".  The RNAS was flying various seaplanes over the Dardanelles which carried radios in early 1915.  However, they were transmit only sets and relied on Morse.  No receiver.  They attempted to spot for the bombardment of the Turkish forts unfortunately with little success (for various reasons).
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

The Rat

There were WWI aircraft with radios, not sure which ones. A friend who recently passed had an RFC book about aircraft, for the edification of pilots, that was printed around 1917/18, and it mentioned them. It talked about how the aerial was winched out to trail behind the aircraft, don't recall anything more.
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

KJ_Lesnick

Would it have been possible to fit a fighter plane from 1930 to 1933 that would have been able to include a simple morse code radio that a pilot could use to bang out some dits and dahs with that wouldn't clutter the cockpit up too much or affect the aerodynamics of the plane significantly?

When was voice radio first made possible in any airplane
That being said, I'd like to remind everybody in a manner reminiscent of the SNL bit on Julian Assange, that no matter how I die: It was murder (even if there was a suicide note or a video of me peacefully dying in my sleep); should I be framed for a criminal offense or disappear, you know to blame.

The Rat

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

KJ_Lesnick

The Rat

I appreciate the link, and it is fascinating to know how heavy some early radios were.

I'm curious if you have the answer as to how much their weight reduced from the 1914-1918 era to the 1920-1930 era, and from there to the 1930-1940 era.  Also do you have any information as to when the first voice radios (i.e. being able to simply speak over the radio)

The Rat

Quote from: KJ_Lesnick on December 14, 2013, 09:35:59 AM
The Rat

I appreciate the link, and it is fascinating to know how heavy some early radios were.

I'm curious if you have the answer as to how much their weight reduced from the 1914-1918 era to the 1920-1930 era, and from there to the 1930-1940 era.  Also do you have any information as to when the first voice radios (i.e. being able to simply speak over the radio)

No idea, that's one of the few relevant links I found.

KJ_Lesnick

Do you have any idea where I could find more information?

Rheged

Quote from: KJ_Lesnick on December 14, 2013, 09:28:32 PM
Do you have any idea where I could find more information?

Do those here assembled think that either Cosford  or Hendon  would have the answer?   If so

Contact Cosford
T: 01902 376 200
cosford@rafmuseum.org

Royal Air Force Museum Cosford,
Shifnal, Shropshire TF11 8UP

Contact London
T: 020 8205 2266
london@rafmuseum.org

Royal Air Force Museum London,
Grahame Park Way, London
NW9 5LL
"If you can keep your head when all about you