German allies

Started by Geoff, December 16, 2013, 03:36:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Geoff

I am going to do a couple of AFVs based on Germany capitulating after the assassination of Hitler, and joining the allies against the USSR.
These will be a King Tiger , a Panther , and a Kangaroo. ;D

Ok the German Army will have the old Iron Cross as for WW1 and Bundes Heer. Would they use the white star as an air recognition marking on the upper decks of the vehicles to prevent blue on blue??  :tank: :tank: :tank: :tank: :tank: :tank:

Any opinions please?

scooter

Quote from: Geoff on December 16, 2013, 03:36:27 PM
Ok the German Army will have the old Iron Cross as for WW1 and Bundes Heer. Would they use the white star as an air recognition marking on the upper decks of the vehicles to prevent blue on blue??

Probably be a wise precaution
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

Martin H

Quote from: scooter on December 16, 2013, 03:52:19 PM
Ok the German Army will have the old Iron Cross as for WW1 and Bundes Heer. Would they use the white star as an air recognition marking on the upper decks of the vehicles to prevent blue on blue??

Probably be a wise precaution
Yeah! the USAAC wasnt known as the "American luftwaffe" for nothing LOL . And that was from their own troops! And the RAF wasnt immune from Blue on blue foul ups either.

An interesting idea Geoff, Its what was expected to happen by many units surrendering to the western allies anyway.
Theres that well known photo of Hs162's lined up to be handed over, with their aircrew standing by. Both the pilots and aircraft were fully booted and suited as they expected to be sent on their way to carry on the fight with the russians once the allies took over the airfield.
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

zenrat

I am going to do a couple of AFVs based on Germany capitulating after the assassination of Hitler, and joining the allies against the USSR....
You do know the Soviet Union was one of "The Allies"?
Whatever, real history has no meaning here.  Wouldn't you also need some sort of recognition device on the sides to prevent allied anti tank crews etc opening fire as soon as they identified the silhouette?
How about something like invasion stripes painted up the sides and over the top?
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Geoff

Quote from: Martin H on December 16, 2013, 11:04:35 PM
And the RAF wasnt immune from Blue on blue foul ups either.

Yep one of my dad's aircraft shot down a USAAF B-25. At night, interdicted airspace, no lights, no flight plan, no IFF, = target. Well visually the crew thought it was a Dornier - radial engines, twin tails in silhouette.

Quote from: zenrat on December 17, 2013, 03:09:06 AM

You do know the Soviet Union was one of "The Allies"?
Whatever, real history has no meaning here.  Wouldn't you also need some sort of recognition device on the sides to prevent allied anti tank crews etc opening fire as soon as they identified the silhouette?
How about something like invasion stripes painted up the sides and over the top?

Umm, yes I did realise the Red Army was on our side. I was starting from Patton's "I'll give you a war with 'em in 10 days and make it look their fault" mis/quote.
I thought the Red Army would use the white turret ring as for the battle of Berlin, or the later white cross when seen from above. Western allies could have a chevron marking??

zenrat

Sorry Geoff.  I think i've been working with too many 20 year olds whose grasp of history is limited to where their web browser has been.
Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

KJ_Lesnick

Martin H

QuoteYeah! the USAAC wasnt known as the "American luftwaffe" for nothing LOL . And that was from their own troops!
Actually that analogy was totally wrong -- the Luftwaffe were pretty good at CAS
That being said, I'd like to remind everybody in a manner reminiscent of the SNL bit on Julian Assange, that no matter how I die: It was murder (even if there was a suicide note or a video of me peacefully dying in my sleep); should I be framed for a criminal offense or disappear, you know to blame.

Geoff

Quote from: zenrat on December 17, 2013, 03:35:47 PM
Sorry Geoff.  I think i've been working with too many 20 year olds whose grasp of history is limited to where their web browser has been.

No problem.
Quote from: KJ_Lesnick on December 17, 2013, 03:38:07 PM
Martin H

QuoteYeah! the USAAC wasnt known as the "American luftwaffe" for nothing LOL . And that was from their own troops!
Actually that analogy was totally wrong -- the Luftwaffe were pretty good at CAS

Yes, that's the point

rickshaw

Martin H

Most ground troops wondered on who's side the USAAF was actually working.  Downunder, the usual quip was that the safest place during a USAAF airstrike was on the target!  They were well known, perhaps unfairly for bombing their own and allied troops.
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

Martin H

Quote from: rickshaw on December 17, 2013, 07:09:16 PM
Martin H

Most ground troops wondered on who's side the USAAF was actually working.  Downunder, the usual quip was that the safest place during a USAAF airstrike was on the target!  They were well known, perhaps unfairly for bombing their own and allied troops.
Theres the old saying. "When the RAF bombs, the Germans duck. When the Luftwaffe bombs, the Brits duck. When the USAAF bombs, every body ducks!"
Plus the legend of Patton him self being that sick and tired of seeing units under his command being accidentally attacked by their own airforce that he issued standing orders that permitted his troops to open fire on their own aircraft if it looked like they were going to be attacked by them.

Dont get me wrong. The yanks shouldn't be faulted for their courage and determination to get the job done, its more the fact that When they did screw up it was more widely publicized than most other airforces of the day. Plus a fairly heavy dose of "friendly" rivalry between allies.
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

Captain Canada

Great idea ! Definitely go with the star and circle.....and probably standard Allied camo. When the boys have been at war for 6 years old habits might be hard to break !

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

zenrat

What's the primary identifier for a ground attack pilot?
Shape, colour, identifying marks or a combination?
Fred

rickshaw

Quote from: zenrat on December 25, 2013, 04:06:10 PM

Location?  ;)
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

scooter

Quote from: zenrat on December 25, 2013, 04:06:10 PM

Usually the combination of all three. 
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

NARSES2

Agree with Rickshaw. At the speeds they were flying at you just had to hope that the combination of intelligence and map reading was accurate.

I know we can make disparaging remarks about friendly fire but it must have been incredibly difficult for those brave young men flying what was perhaps the most dangerous of missions on the edge of their nerves  :bow: Likewise for the poor so and so's in the trenches or on board the ships. I know the RN's unofficial attitude was to fire on any aircraft, or at least be ready to, up until at least late 1943 as prior to that it was almost certainly an enemy - that's dad's story anyway
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.