S-55 types ar Aeroplanes or Convert-a-planes

Started by Captain Canada, December 16, 2013, 06:12:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zenrat

Quote from: Chris Payne on December 17, 2013, 01:17:28 PM
Quote from: Librarian on December 17, 2013, 12:59:10 PM
That's truly upset me. As a small boy, I found her far more interesting and beautiful than the fighters etc. That was also the day I fell in love with the Beaufighter....faithful to this day :thumbsup:. Are there any Beverleys still around?

The only surviving Blackburn Beverley is XB259 and she is on display at Fort Paull, near Hull.

Not too far from Beverley then...
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Mossie

Yes, about 15 miles away from Beverley and less than 20 miles from where she was built at Brough.  Also  just two or three miles from where I live.

I've uploaded some photos I took of her onto the Beverley thread:
http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,4860.0.html
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: zenrat on December 18, 2013, 03:41:28 AM

'259 spent a lot of its life actually IN Beverley, at the Museum of Army Transport, and when that closed it was re-located to the Fort Paull Musuem.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

rickshaw

Quote from: PR19_Kit on December 18, 2013, 09:36:42 PM
Quote from: zenrat on December 18, 2013, 03:41:28 AM

'259 spent a lot of its life actually IN Beverley, at the Museum of Army Transport, and when that closed it was re-located to the Fort Paull Musuem.

Did they drive it or fly it there?
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

Mossie

Drive it, it wasn't and airworthy and neither venue had a runway.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

PR19_Kit

Yes, they took it apart to do it! There's some pics of the move somewhere, maybe on the Fort Paull site, taken from a distance and you can see this camouflaged block of flats moving through the Yorkshire countryside!  :o
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

rickshaw

I wonder how much work would be required to make it flyable again?  It would marvellous to see it in the air with all its Centaurs roaring.   :thumbsup:
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

PR19_Kit

About the same that would be needed to get Concorde G-BOAF airborne again. ie LOTS and LOTS of money and an infinite amount of patience, not to mention fast disappearing expertise I should imagine.

'259 didn't look all that good structurally to me when I was last inside her at the Museum of Army Transport, she showed lots of signs of corrosion and there was a large collection of bumps and bends on the wings and tail. It looks like they may have sorted some of those out from Mossie's photos, but I'd not be happy with the corrrosion level.

Regards
Kit

kitnut617

Quote from: PR19_Kit on December 21, 2013, 04:09:38 AM
'259 didn't look all that good structurally to me when I was last inside her at the Museum of Army Transport, she showed lots of signs of corrosion and there was a large collection of bumps and bends on the wings and tail. It looks like they may have sorted some of those out from Mossie's photos, but I'd not be happy with the corrrosion level.

The UK isn't the best place to store exhibits outside is it ?  When I first came to Calgary there was a Lancaster on a pylon at the south end of the airport, it had been there for years apparently.  After a bunch of squatters got moved out of it (yes some yo-yo's were living in it), it was taken down to get clean up, it had been decided to store it inside after that but the subsequent engineering report revealed that it was in very good condition and good to fly again with a little restoration.  The atmosphere here is so dry, corrosion is pratically non-existent here.   It's not known when that will happen because all of a sudden another group of people have come out of the woodwork and claim it's theirs (nothing from these people until it had been announced the museum would try to get it flying again).  Now it's in the courts ----

If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Captain Canada

I almost bought the Italeri HO-4S to start the build...but that's going against my 'finish started stuff now' policy. Oh well....we'll see next time I'm in there !

:tornado:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Captain Canada on December 21, 2013, 07:26:46 AM
I almost bought the Italeri HO-4S to start the build...but that's going against my 'finish started stuff now' policy. Oh well....we'll see next time I'm in there !

:tornado:

You could get someone ELSE to buy it for you maybe? That wouldn't gao against your policy.  ;)

Regards
Kit

Captain Canada

LOL.....good one ! But this, a new Lightning, and I want to start that P-80 Skyraider as well !

Damn ideas......

:blink:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Captain Canada

I'm thinking army olive and orange markings like Army training helos. Figure a quick build with most of the parts to fly on her own deleted...like a glider but as a prototype.

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?