An Australian Spitfire

Started by NARSES2, December 21, 2013, 06:09:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NARSES2

Spitfire XIVe of 548 Squadron No 1 Wing RAAF based at Darwin in early 1946.

548 Squadron had been raised in late 1943 and originally equipped with Spitfire Mk VIII's.  From 1944 it had been based around the Darwin area after the original No 1 Wing squadrons,  452 and 457, had left to follow the retreating Japanese across the SW Pacific.  In late 1945 it handed it's Mk VIII's over to the RNEIAF and re-equipped with XIVe's. Unfortunately for the pilots apart from the extremely rare Japanese reconnaissance flight the IJAF had long departed Australian skies and neither squadron ever fired their guns in anger.

The kit is the AZ one and goes together very well with nothing untoward to report. Paints are my usual mixture of Xtracrylic, Humbrol and Lifecolor with the markings coming from the spares box but in the main are from Ventura and Xtradecal sheets. I painted her in standard RAF SEAC colours rather than in RAAF hues as I expect the RAAF wouldn't have bothered to over paint what in effect was their own scheme just in slightly differing shades. You may have expected to see large areas of white identification markings but by 1944/1945 these were not being applied in Australia as with the lack of opposition there was no need.

The RAAF XIV and RNEIAF VIII side by side. Shows the difference between the two shades of dark earth particularly. Aussie is Lifecolor from their authentic set, RAF is Xtracrylice

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

NARSES2

Flippin eck ! The tonal difference on the blue of the roundels looks now't like that to the naked eye  :blink: Ventura transfers
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

kitnut617

Quote from: NARSES2 on December 21, 2013, 06:10:46 AM
Flippin eck ! The tonal difference on the blue of the roundels looks now't like that to the naked eye  :blink: Ventura transfers

I was just going to ask if that's how they were Chris, I've got a project in the works for something similar (timeline anyway).  I take it the roundels aren't like that then ---
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

NARSES2

I don't think so but Ventura are normally very good. Maybe one of our Aussie compatriots knows ?

kitnut617

Are they Ventura or Jay's Models decals ?
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

NARSES2

Quote from: kitnut617 on December 21, 2013, 06:24:37 AM
Are they Ventura or Jay's Models decals ?

They are from the Ventura kit of the Spitfire VIII, not sure who manufacturer was

TallEng

Splendid spitfire :thumbsup:
Those roundels do look awfully like the ones where the white was painted out to tone down
The colour and produce the red/blue roundel, if you see what I mean. :blink:
Now all it needs is an explanation about the roundels being painted in the wrong proportions
At the factory, and the unit having to hurriedly convert them to the correct sort because.....
Which lead to that overpainted look.

Regards
Keith

The British have raised their security level from "Miffed" to "Peeved". Soon though, security levels may be raised yet again to "Irritated" or even "A Bit Cross". Londoners have not been "A Bit Cross" since the Blitz in 1940 when tea supplies ran out for three weeks

NARSES2

Brilliant Keith. Wrong sized roundels they can be and indeed maybe that's what the actual kit was showing. I'll have to check it out

Captain Canada

Another beauty Chris ! Love the colours. What numbers are they ? I swear to Dog one of these days I'm going to start taking notes so as not to keep asking the same questions over and over..... :banghead:

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

NARSES2

Quote from: Captain Canada on December 21, 2013, 07:07:44 AM
Another beauty Chris ! Love the colours. What numbers are they ? I swear to Dog one of these days I'm going to start taking notes so as not to keep asking the same questions over and over..... :banghead:

:cheers:

Xtracrylic Dark Green XA 1001 and Dark Earth XA 1002

Captain Canada

Thanks Chris ! I'll write it down...I promise !

:thumbsup:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?