What's the most fuel efficient car

Started by KJ_Lesnick, December 21, 2013, 02:55:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KJ_Lesnick

What's the most fuel efficient car in the world that is

1: Run under continuous power: No stopping of engines down hills and starting it up when level or going up hills
2: Street legal even if it's only got one person in it
That being said, I'd like to remind everybody in a manner reminiscent of the SNL bit on Julian Assange, that no matter how I die: It was murder (even if there was a suicide note or a video of me peacefully dying in my sleep); should I be framed for a criminal offense or disappear, you know to blame.

PR19_Kit

That's going to be difficult to answer with the current breed of hybrid cars, some of which only run their IC engines when they need to, and the driver has no control over that.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

CSMO

The Lego car with the Lego motor that runs on compressed air. Adios, Larry.
"Field Artillery brings dignity to what otherwise would be merely a vulgar brawl."

Hobbes

Your #1 rules out most hybrids. It also rules out the VW XL1 prototype, which would otherwise win handily.

Within the rules, a small diesel (VW Lupo 3L, Kia Rio diesel) is your best bet, with fuel consumption around 3l/100 km average.

andrewj

Probably a car like the VW Polo 1.2 TDI Bluemotion, up to 80 mpg , simple and efficent and at about the 12K mark , half the price of a hybrid.

Andrew

wuzak

Quote from: PR19_Kit on December 21, 2013, 03:53:00 PM
That's going to be difficult to answer with the current breed of hybrid cars, some of which only run their IC engines when they need to, and the driver has no control over that.

Like the Volt and Fisker Karma?

Theoretically, if you only do short trips (<30 miles) and recharge at each end the "range extender" ICE would never start up.

rickshaw

How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

KJ_Lesnick

It doesn't matter if the engine is combustion, electrical, hybrid; it only matters that it runs all the time.

What car ist he most efficient?
That being said, I'd like to remind everybody in a manner reminiscent of the SNL bit on Julian Assange, that no matter how I die: It was murder (even if there was a suicide note or a video of me peacefully dying in my sleep); should I be framed for a criminal offense or disappear, you know to blame.

Hobbes

Any parallel hybrid can start and stop its combustion engine and its electric motors independently from each other. Going downhill, the ICE is switched off and the electric motor is run as a generator. So no motor runs continuously in a parallel hybrid. Same with a purely electric car. Downhill, the motor won't be powered.

A series hybrid does have a continuous connection between the ICE and driven wheels, unless it's equipped with 'sailing mode' which declutches automatically when you release the throttle. I suspect the only hybrid that qualifies under your rules is the first-generation Honda Insight, which is less efficient than the Lupo 3L.

Even an ordinary ICE will have its ignition and fuel supply switched off going downhill; you'll be engine braking on the way down, generally.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: KJ_Lesnick on January 10, 2014, 07:33:55 AM
It doesn't matter if the engine is combustion, electrical, hybrid; it only matters that it runs all the time.

What car ist he most efficient?

It's apples and oranges, there isn't one single answer to the question.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

jcf

Quote from: rickshaw on January 10, 2014, 01:09:54 AM
The Stanley Steamer!  ;D ;D

Steamers are in the running for most fuel inefficient;D

PR19_Kit

Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on January 10, 2014, 11:10:42 AM
The Stanley Steamer!  ;D ;D

Steamers are in the running for most fuel inefficient.  ;D

My drag racing Hillman Imp would have been a contendor for that trophy perhaps, it managed about 12 mpg with a 900 cc engine.  ;D

Petrol only cost around 5/- per gallon at the time though, that's around 5.5 pence/litre....... :o

Regards
Kit

Hobbes

Hobbes

Quote from: PR19_Kit on January 10, 2014, 12:20:13 PM
Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on January 10, 2014, 11:10:42 AM
The Stanley Steamer!  ;D ;D

Steamers are in the running for most fuel inefficient.  ;D

My drag racing Hillman Imp would have been a contendor for that trophy perhaps, it managed about 12 mpg with a 900 cc engine.  ;D

Petrol only cost around 5/- per gallon at the time though, that's around 5.5 pence/litre....... :o

A couple of years ago, a mileage marathon was ran in the Netherlands. Last place was for two guys in a 1950's Bentley, who managed 50l/100 km  ;D