Main Menu

What's this?

Started by zenrat, December 26, 2013, 04:35:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zenrat

I was watching a video of sports car racing at Sebring in 1957 and spotted this parked up with the RVs in the infield.

Rest of the film is here.  There appear to be a lot of what look like C119s scattered around the airfield.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=OzegAlq92V0
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Captain Canada

Isn't that the Piaggio pusher amphib ? Not sure of the designation, but there have been a few incarnations of it. I think the Italians just retired them. Well, from the Air Force anyway, but I think their Coast Guard is still flying them.

The other ones are the Boxcar's brother, the Packett.

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

The Rat

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

zenrat

Thanks folks.  Piaggo eh, like the scooters.  It's nice looking little aircraft.  Only ever kitted in 1/72 as vac form according to my goggling.

Watching the film it amazes me Moss and Fangio can walk normally give the obvious size of their 'nads. Polo shirts, corker crash helmets, no seat belts (no more than a lap belt anyway), telegraph poles in the runoff and just look at the size of the expansion joints on the concrete runway sections!

Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

PR19_Kit

That aircraft was sometimes called the Royal Gull, no idea why. One flew by at the Seawings 2000 event at Southampton but didn't land as it was a tad rough, and it looked superb. I've often thought that a cross-kit with an Avanti's wings and engines would work well, but I didn't know there WAS a vacform of a P.136! Who made it please?

Perhaps we should suggest it to the 'Lift Here' guys in Serbia, it's just up their street.  ;)
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

martinbayer

Quote from: PR19_Kit on December 27, 2013, 04:07:19 AM
That aircraft was sometimes called the Royal Gull, no idea why. One flew by at the Seawings 2000 event at Southampton but didn't land as it was a tad rough, and it looked superb. I've often thought that a cross-kit with an Avanti's wings and engines would work well, but I didn't know there WAS a vacform of a P.136! Who made it please?

Broplan: http://www.internetmodeler.com/2000/february/first-looks/broplan_piaggio.htm

Martin
Would be marching to the beat of his own drum, if he didn't detest marching to any drumbeat at all so much.

kitnut617

Quote from: PR19_Kit on December 27, 2013, 04:07:19 AM
but I didn't know there WAS a vacform of a P.136! Who made it please?

According to 'the book', Broplan, Challenge and O'Neill made 1/72 offerings, all vacuforms --
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

PR19_Kit

Broplan?   :o

Hell's Bells, I should have known that. I'm quite a fan of Broplan stuff having build quite a few of theirs and got even more filed away in The Loft, but I never noticed they did a P.136. I'll see if I can get one and put my Turbo Royal Gull plan into action.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

jcf

Kearney-Trecker assembled and marketed the P.136 in the US under the Royal Gull and Trecker Gull/Super Gull monikers.

zenrat

Any connection with the Kearney-Trecker-Marwen who built machine tools as KTM?
Fred

jcf

Yep, Kearney & Trecker of Milwaukee, Wisconsin.