Psychedelic Warlord

Started by zenrat, December 28, 2013, 02:37:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zenrat

I built this as a tribute to Hawkwind Guitarist Huw Lloyd Langton who died last year.

I put a picture of the band on the bonnet.

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

PR19_Kit

VERY smart!  :smiley: ;D :lol: :thumbsup: :bow:

Did you stretch the van or did it come in that long wheelbase form? And just how did you do the lovely paintjob?
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Weaver

That's beautiful  :wub: - I'd like to know how you did the paint job too.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

zenrat

Thanks folks.  It's an AMT "Dirty Donny Vantasy" Chevy Van kit channelled 5mm over the stock chassis with Monogram El Camino Wheels.  Body Length is as it comes - Revell do the short wheelbase Chevy van.

The paint job is a gold metallic base which then had the pinstripes masked.  More masking and unmasking and remasking with various colours of candy and some splatter effects.  All the complicated black parts (fractals, photo of the band, magic mushrooms, swirly spiral pattern and lots of small cannabis leaves) are decals.  I found them all the designs on the interweb, cropped, resized and otherwise adjusted and then printed them on clear decal paper.   Double layers of decals (to get the required were applied with lots of micro sol and set and then following remasking black was airbrushed on the bottom half to hide the edges of some of the fractal decals.
Then it was all drowned in 2 pack clear and polished.
In retrospect I should have left the bonnet panel gold to make the band picture clearer.
These are the decals I made up.

I'm building a twin engined Dodge drag van ATM but when that's done i'll be looking at another band van.  Either Motorhead or Blue Oyster Cult.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

ericr

Steel Penguin

wonderful    I would say " groovy" but that's a bit old hat init
the things you learn, give your mind the wings to fly, and the chains to hold yourself steady
take off and nuke the site form orbit, nope, time for the real thing, CAM and gridfire, call special circumstances. 
wow, its like freefalling into the Geofront
Not a member of the Hufflepuff conspiracy!

Weaver

Quote from: zenrat on December 29, 2013, 03:32:15 AM
Thanks folks.  It's an AMT "Dirty Donny Vantasy" Chevy Van kit channelled 5mm over the stock chassis with Monogram El Camino Wheels.  Body Length is as it comes - Revell do the short wheelbase Chevy van.

The paint job etc.....

Ah,  I see it now. I was seeing the colours as being over the black (and thus I couldn't figure out how you'd masked it) whereas in fact the black is over the colours. Clever. :thumbsup:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

PR19_Kit

Ah of course! I hadn't considered you might have channelled it, so that's why it looks 'longer'. Nice one indeed.

I really MUST re-build my Merlin engined drag racing Chevy van, it's built on the same kit as yours but looks somewhat different, as you'd imagine.  ;D :lol: ;)
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit