My stash just grew again (2014)

Started by Thorvic, December 31, 2013, 09:45:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Green Dragon

Only been to Hamley's once for a birthday treat way back in the 70's, got me a Hasegawa 1/32nd F-16 and an Entex Super Guppy, only place I've ever seen Entex on sale (apart from evil bay of course).

Paul Harrison
"Well, it's rather brutal here. Right now we are advising all our clients to put everything they've got into canned food and shotguns."-Gremlins 2

On the bench.
1/72 Space 1999 Eagle, Comet Miniatures Martian War Machine
1/72nd Quad Tilt Rotor, 1/144th V/STOL E2 Hawkeye (stalled)

PR19_Kit

Umpteen years back I used to maintain Hamley's Hornby demo layout which ran all the way round the circular well in the middle of the store.

It was an absolute B***C to work on as it had glass covers over each section that needed two of you to lift off, they were so heavy. And quite often some clumsy gawp would come over to see what you were doing and they then stood on the glass covers, which broke of course.  :banghead:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

The Wooksta!

Recent ebay win:

Novo Airspeed Oxford
Aeroclub Spitfire F14C vacform fuselage conversion

On layby at the LHS (hi Frank!)
Special Hobby BP Balliol
Special Hobby BP Sea Balliol
Brengun Spitfire Vb w. DB 605
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

Captain Canada

Second kit of the year......Airfix GR.1, again ! Such a lovely little kit, and I can't pass it up for $13 !

:wub:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Dizzyfugu

Quote from: pyro-manic on January 14, 2014, 09:02:07 AM
Quote from: Dizzyfugu on January 14, 2014, 08:28:59 AM
Had an eye on that one, too, but could not convince myself to purchase it. I'd also be stuck between building options - but I would not hand too much extra ordnance onto it. It's sleek as it is, I guess it could easily look Warhammer-like (unless that's intended, but it would IMHO be a shame  :dalek:)

I'd rather worry about the paint scheme - either a pale sand (original style, maybe Hemp), or a real world military paint scheme. JGSDF (Dark Green/Earth) could look interesting, or the Royal Army city scheme (white/grey/brown "cubes" all over), since the tank is rather an urban than a field vehicle?

Can you tell something about fit and pouring quality? Recasts can vary MASSIVELY!  :party:

It's from E2046, who have been pretty good thus far for me. Preliminary inspection seems promising. I'll get a couple of photos of the parts if you want?

My thinking was to switch out one of the gatling-gun arms for either a Tachikoma-style howitzer/grenade launcher, or possibly some sort of missile box-launcher. Nothing too major, and I certainly wouldn't be going all 40k-let's-see-how-many-guns-we-can-stick-on! ;D

Paint scheme would be fairly crucial - I like the idea of the Berlin Brigade disruptive scheme, though it's a pain to paint! Maybe a simpler splinter/digital pattern...

The other, slightly wacky thought was to do it as a Tachikoma. Bright blue, add the eye globes, reading a book. ;D I have the Wave 1:24 Tachi, so could pose them together....

Thank you  :cheers: -  I was not aware that E2046 had them; I stumbled across the kit on ebay several time. I'll have a look at the parts there, though.

Another wacko idea could be to create a civil construction or fire rescue mech from it! Imagine this crab thing in bright red, with flashing lights and water/foam cannons...? That's a bit Patlabor-ish, but I like the concept of civilian mechas. Had the idea of converting a Brocken labor in 1:60 into a "fire brigade vehicle" some time ago, but this has not turned into hardware yet.

I'd be glad if you post a WiP report, when things get serious ;)

Weaver

From Airfix, using more flying hours: another 1/72nd Harrier GR.3.

"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Mossie

From The Real Model Shop in Hull:
Master Box Mk I Female British Tank, Somme Battle Period 1916
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

NARSES2

Quote from: PR19_Kit on January 16, 2014, 08:33:50 AM
Umpteen years back I used to maintain Hamley's Hornby demo layout which ran all the way round the circular well in the middle of the store.

Oh I have very fond memories of that. Way back when I used to be taken to Hamley's a couple of times a year as a treat and I could have stood and watched that all day. Is it still there ? Must admit I didn't notice last time I popped in on a Christmas present shopping trip.

Hamley's still has 3 adult toy sections, 2 men's, 1 women's. Trains and collectors model/toy soldiers for the lads ; dolls house furniture for the lasses. Have you seen the price of some of that furniture ?  :banghead:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

They took the demo layout out some time in the 80s Chris, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if they've put it back again with the current resurgence of Hornby. It was built on curved sectional support 'tables', each one around 6-8 ft long and I reckon they could have stashed them away somewhere 'just in case'.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Captain Canada

Quote from: Weaver on January 17, 2014, 04:20:25 AM
From Airfix, using more flying hours: another 1/72nd Harrier GR.3.

When I grabbed my GR.1 yesterday, my LHS guy said "the GR.3s will be in next week" And I was like " what GR.3....Jaguar ?" I had totally forgotten about them !

Can't wait....love that aeroplane !

:thumbsup:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Daryl J.

Gondor

Just took delivery of

1 x 1/72 Hasegawa F-110A  :thumbsup: I have been looking out for this kit for several years so many thanks to Thorvic for spotting it for me. Only problem is the decal placement sheet is missing so if anyone has one in either 1/72 or 1/48 a scan of both sides would be much appreciated.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

Weaver

From the Big H:

1. Falcon 1/72nd vac-form Triple Two-Seater conversion set No.3: F-106B, F9F-8T Cougar & Mirage IIID

So if Trumpeter scale their 1/48th F-106B down to 1/72nd before I get a chance to use it, you owe me..... :wacko:

2. 4 x Freightdog 1/72nd Matra 68mm pods.

Oops - wanted 4 x 2" RN pods but when I looked on Colin's website they were gone. I thought I'd get them from Hannants with the Falcon set, but I managed to click on the wrong things.... :banghead: Oh well, I will need 68mm pods at some point. Then when I looked on Freighdog again, the 2" pods were back in stock again, so I've got some on the way after all................ :rolleyes:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Radish

4 x 1/72nd HobbyBoss P-40C....think Biggles. :banghead:
Once you've visited the land of the Loonies, a return is never far away.....

Still His (or Her) Majesty, Queen Caroline of the Midlands, Resident Drag Queen

Martin H

Just transfered from Thorvics stash to mine in exchange for coin of the realm. (all 1/72nd)

IOM kit Grumman AF-2 Guardian.
Hasegawa Lockheed P-2V7 Neptune.
Hasegawa Lockheed P-3C Orion.
Hasegawa Avro Lancaster (RCAF rescue boxing)
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.