My stash just grew again (2014)

Started by Thorvic, December 31, 2013, 09:45:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zenrat

Quote from: NARSES2 on May 08, 2014, 01:07:01 AM
Talking of Heyford's this months SAM has a build article together with plans, profiles (inc. an all yellow one) and an Aviation in Profile article.

As for the kit it's typically Matchbox of the period. From memory I can't remember any problems with her, but I was a lot younger. Most of the Matchbox biplanes were ok builds. Still got one in the stash which I've always wanted to put in a desert scheme

Thanks Mr 2.  They're scarce down here.  The only one on Evil-Bay ATM is a buy it now from a hobby shop.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Dizzyfugu

A Bf 109 G decal sheet for a small "quickie" project, and a 1:48 resin pilot figure for a future kitbashing project  :wacko:

Martin H

Three new arrivals today

Via Hannants.
Sword Lightning T-4.
Sword Lightning T-5.

Via Ebay.
Scratchaeronautics CASA C212 Aviocar.

I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

kitnut617

Quote from: Martin H on May 08, 2014, 09:48:11 AM
Three new arrivals today

Via Hannants.
Sword Lightning T-4.
Sword Lightning T-5.

Via Ebay.

You know that Aircraft in Miniature is releasing a 1/72 resin kit of the CASA C212 in the very near future, in their Rug Rats range

http://www.aim72.co.uk/page67.html
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Gondor

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on May 08, 2014, 08:21:25 AM
A Bf 109 G decal sheet for a small "quickie" project, and a 1:48 resin pilot figure for a future kitbashing project  :wacko:

ALL your builds are "quickie" builds compared to the rest of us  :banghead:

Added another Hasegawa RF-4E/RF-4EJ double boxed set to my stash. Neither to be Japanese but the RF-4E is likely to be Turkish while the F-4E could be Egyptian or maybe Spanish!

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

PR19_Kit

Quote from: NARSES2 on May 08, 2014, 01:07:01 AM
Talking of Heyford's this months SAM has a build article together with plans, profiles (inc. an all yellow one) and an Aviation in Profile article.

As for the kit it's typically Matchbox of the period. From memory I can't remember any problems with her, but I was a lot younger. Most of the Matchbox biplanes were ok builds. Still got one in the stash which I've always wanted to put in a desert scheme

It was that article in SAM that triggered off the idea that we talked about at MK Chris, and resulted in me buying the kit.

It looks pretty good in the box, although the instructions could be clearer with regard to the 3/4 different engine-prop variations possible. Not that it'll make the SLIGHTEST difference to my version anyway.  ;D

The fabric finish on the wings looks pretty good, not in the same class as the new Airfix Hurricane mind you, but the kit is well over 20 years old of course. It's a BIG aeroplane, and 'stands tall' in the Stirling's fashion too, you'll need a big shelf to display it Mr Zenrat. As to how much it's worth I'm not sure, my ebay buy cost me £11 which I thought was a bargain, especially as I'd lost an auction on another one the previous night that went for £12.50.  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

£22 sounds a lot I must say, but you get a fair amount of plastic for your money.

And the rash of HP Whiffs is because they made such interesting aeroplanes in the first place Trevor.  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Weaver

Hmmm - just been looking at some pics of the Heyford. Know what it needs? Floats..... :wacko:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Martin H

Quote from: kitnut617 on May 08, 2014, 09:58:37 AM
Quote from: Martin H on May 08, 2014, 09:48:11 AM
Three new arrivals today

Via Hannants.
Sword Lightning T-4.
Sword Lightning T-5.

Via Ebay.

You know that Aircraft in Miniature is releasing a 1/72 resin kit of the CASA C212 in the very near future, in their Rug Rats range

Oh I know that, but this one is priced well below what AIM will charge for their offering, and having a few AIM/Rugrats resin kits in the stash to compare, the Scratchaernautics kit is leaps and bounds ahead quality wise.
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

kitnut617

Quote from: Martin H on May 08, 2014, 01:12:35 PM
Quote from: kitnut617 on May 08, 2014, 09:58:37 AM

Oh I know that, but this one is priced well below what AIM will charge for their offering, and having a few AIM/Rugrats resin kits in the stash to compare, the Scratchaernautics kit is leaps and bounds ahead quality wise.

I would agree with you on the "old" Rug Rat stuff but his latest kits are all done in CNC'd machined moulds.  Looking at photos of the Scratchaeronautics website and how his was built I'd take the AiM one myself.  And I've got a few of the old Rug Rat kits myself so I do know what they're like.

However when I get my C212 it will be built like this below, This particular aircraft flew right over our house at minimum height a few years ago as it was surveying the area for some energy company. Unfortunately it was invovle in a fatal crash a few years later.

If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Dizzyfugu

Quote from: Gondor on May 08, 2014, 10:54:19 AM
Quote from: Dizzyfugu on May 08, 2014, 08:21:25 AM

ALL your builds are "quickie" builds compared to the rest of us  :banghead:

Gondor

Well, that's a true quickie - saw the parts, had an idea, and quickly tinkered it together, even though some surgical trouble occured yesterday (proportions need to be rectified  :rolleyes:). Neverthless, biggest problem was/is to find a suitable "user" or origin for the result, and that Bf 109 decal sheet should provide the solution...

As a side note, yesterday a 1:43 scale Citrioen 11CV from Heller arrived, also a kitbash donation...

zenrat

Quote from: Weaver on May 08, 2014, 12:50:39 PM
Hmmm - just been looking at some pics of the Heyford. Know what it needs? Floats..... :wacko:

or a field gun mounted on the top of the lower wing :wacko:

Thanks for the info Kit.  I may have to bid on a UK Evil-Bay example and get it shipped to my parents in Sussex to be added to my euro-stash.

Took delivery today of a 1/72 Valom Lockheed XFV-1.  Initial impression is parts count is low and it'll need some intake liners built and a pilot but it looks like what it is supposed to look like.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Howard of Effingham

Quote from: PR19_Kit on May 08, 2014, 11:09:36 AM
And the rash of HP Whiffs is because they made such interesting aeroplanes in the first place Trevor.  ;D

thanks kit!  ;D
Keeper of George the Cat.

Weaver

Quote from: zenrat on May 09, 2014, 01:45:26 AM
Quote from: Weaver on May 08, 2014, 12:50:39 PM

or a field gun mounted on the top of the lower wing :wacko:

With a shield and the crew stood behind it, of course..... :wacko:

Another idea: how about one of JW Christie's super-fast turretless tanks? AFAIK the RAF & British Army never played with underslung tanks, but others did, notably the Russians. There are kits of the turreted Christies the US Army trialled and it should be possible to bash the turretless one from there.... :wacko:

If the Christie's a bit too rich, then how about a Carden-Lloyd tankette? There are kits of the Polish versions available:

"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

pyro-manic

What about one of the Vickers Light Tanks?
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

McColm

Two 1/72 Airfix kits:
A-4 Skyhawk
RF-5 Freedom Fighter