My library just grew again 2014...

Started by Rheged, December 31, 2013, 10:18:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TallEng

Quote from: Captain Canada on September 29, 2014, 05:16:41 PM
Bought that new Aviation Classics title on the Shackleton, and have to say I'm disappointed. I was hoping for alot more......seems ( to me ) to be alot of filler and not enough about the aeroplane itself !?

:unsure:

You could try Either:
COASTAL COMMAND LEGEND: Avro's Maritime Reconnaissance Bomber - THE SHACKLETON Paperback – 1 Jan 2005 (lots of pictures and profiles. More an operational history of the Shack) approx 108 pages

Or Avro's Maritime Heavyweight: The Shackleton Hardcover – 1 May 1990
by Chris Ashworth  (Author) (more a complete history) approx 245 pages

I can recommend both :thumbsup: I guess it depends on how deep your pockets are ;D
But don't remember any mention of other possible users.

Regards
Keith

The British have raised their security level from "Miffed" to "Peeved". Soon though, security levels may be raised yet again to "Irritated" or even "A Bit Cross". Londoners have not been "A Bit Cross" since the Blitz in 1940 when tea supplies ran out for three weeks

zenrat

Not a new buy but i've just got round to reading it.
Weird Aircraft by Peter Henshaw.  As the title suggests it looks at some of the less conventional directions aircraft design took.
It's well written and well illustrated but unfortunately the two seldom intersect - you find yourself wishing for pictures of what is being described or wondering what the thinking was behind the pictured aircraft.

So a bit dissappointing really.  Lucky I only paid a few dollars for it pre-loved.

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

zenrat

"The four small, square ended propellers turned slowly one by one, and became four whizzing pools.  The low hum of the turbo-jets rose to a shrill smooth whine.  The quality of the noise, and the complete absence of vibration, were different from the stuttering roar and straining horsepower of all other aircraft Bond had flown in.  As the Viscount wheeled easilly out to the shimmering east-west runway of London Airport, Bond felt as if he was sitting in an expensive mechanical toy.
There was a pause as the chief pilot gunned up the four turbo-jets into a banshee scream and then, with a jerk of released brakes, the 10:30 BEA flight to Rome, Athens and Istanbul gathered speed and hurtled down the runway and up into a quick, easy climb."

Ian Fleming, From Russia With Love, Chapter 13.
Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: zenrat on October 07, 2014, 02:40:55 PM
"The four small, square ended propellers turned slowly one by one, and became four whizzing pools.

Square ended props on a Viscount? I don't think so..............

And they're turbo-props too, not turbo-jets.

[Pedant mode off]
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Nick

Quote from: PR19_Kit on October 07, 2014, 03:42:19 PM
"The four small, square ended propellers turned slowly one by one, and became four whizzing pools.

[Pedant mode off]

If you take away the 'square-ended props' part, he'd be talking about the Tay Viscount in airline service.... a true whiffer!

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Nick on October 08, 2014, 06:14:41 AM
Quote from: PR19_Kit on October 07, 2014, 03:42:19 PM

[Pedant mode off]

If you take away the 'square-ended props' part, he'd be talking about the Tay Viscount in airline service.... a true whiffer!

And a 4 engined one as well.  :o
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

Spey_Phantom

bought at the Belgian Modelforum membersday:

Ingolf Meyer's Luftwaffe Advanced Aircraft Project to 1945 (Volume 1: Fighter & Ground attack aircraft, Arado to Junkers)
on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

Captain Canada

Thanks for the tips on the Shackleton titles ! I'll have to check those out.

As for the mag, it's actually better than I thought it was ! The early history of the company is quite insightful.

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

rickshaw

Drawn in the style of Herge' Tin Tin, this is a good, rollicking read.   If you love Tin Tin, you'll love this.   :thumbsup:
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

McColm

I too have a copy of Aviation Classics , Avro Shackleton. Just thumbs through it. Good coloured pics for detailing. I'll have a proper read back on nights this Thursday.
I also grabbed a copy of Aviation Archive- British Jet Airliners. Packed with photos, cutaways and colour profiles. Covers the Comet, Trident, VC10 & VC7, BAC One Eleven, Concorde, BAe 146 , Nene Lancastrian, Ghost Lancastrian, Nene Viking and the drawing board.
A must read for the Whiffer

zenrat

Anyone read "Gone to Russia to Fight - The RAF in South Russia 1918 to 1920" by John T Smith?

Fred

NARSES2

I've got it and the one on the Northern incursions as well (The Day We Nearly Bombed Moscow) Not read either but have flicked through them. Both look very interesting
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

A pristine card back copy of 'Sigh for a Merlin' spotted by Mrs_PR19 in a local charity shop for £1.50.  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Regards
Kit

zenrat

Fred

Nick

Command and Control by Eric Schlosser. A chilling look at the history of the US nuclear weapons arsenal, how they fumbled their way into mass producing the atom bombs, the inter-service rivalry vs the civilian control and the numerous accidents that happened. Interspersed with this history is the in-depth story of one event, the fire in the Titan II missile silo north of Damascus, Arkansas in 1980.

It is frightening to realise just how lucky we were not to have an accidental nuclear explosion anywhere in the USA or NATO sphere. Definitely a must-read.