My library just grew again 2014...

Started by Rheged, December 31, 2013, 10:18:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NARSES2

Quote from: Flyer on July 26, 2014, 06:41:34 AM
Quote from: Steel Penguin on July 26, 2014, 06:16:18 AM
the long war by  Terry Prattchett and Stephen Baxter,  like the 1st one ( the long earth) and with the title of the 3rd one (the long mars) now out in hard cant resist

just started his Discworld series, is the long war a stand alone novel or part of a series?

edit: part of a different series is what I was meant to ask...

Part of a different series.

If you've just started the Discworld series you are in for a treat. Enjoy
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Steel Penguin

Flyer  yes different series, its a co written near future sci fi novel.  its number 2 in the series, number 1 is " the long earth"  number 3 is   "the long mars"  there is tell on the Wiki page of it being a 5 part series.  With regard to the disk world series, your in for a good set of books, the tone of them does vary a bit depending on the story, but ive never been disappointed with one.
the things you learn, give your mind the wings to fly, and the chains to hold yourself steady
take off and nuke the site form orbit, nope, time for the real thing, CAM and gridfire, call special circumstances. 
wow, its like freefalling into the Geofront
Not a member of the Hufflepuff conspiracy!

NARSES2

In all honesty you can probably read Sorcery out of sequence as it's almost a stand alone book in the Discworld series.

there are a couple of stand alone books. Sorcery, Pyramids and Small Gods are the ones that stand out in this respect, and Small Gods is one of my favourites  ;D The others break down into Rincewind, Witches, Guards or recently the "Moist von Litwick" series. Whilst not essential to read these in order it does help as the characters really develop. Indeed the Vimes that appears in Guards, Guards is hardly recognisable in the latter Guards series books in my view.

Please do not take this as a complete guide as it's been done from memory, and I'm getting older

Chris
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

JayBee

You forgot the Nac Mac Feegles, Chris, and that could be a Verra Painful thing to do.  :wacko:
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

scooter

Quote from: Flyer on July 27, 2014, 07:24:08 AM
Excellent ;D I shall start Sourcery tonight or tomorrow with that knowledge, I'm not that into the Cussler book I'm currently reading.
I find Cussler to be hit or miss sometimes, especially with the Kurt Austin spinoffs.  But at least he's acknowledged that Dirk Pitt *is* getting too old for saving the world and/or maritime history.
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

McColm

Is Dirk Pitt still alive on the page, the author keeps trying to kill him!

pyro-manic

Quote from: NARSES2 on July 27, 2014, 06:49:53 AM
In all honesty you can probably read Sorcery out of sequence as it's almost a stand alone book in the Discworld series.

there are a couple of stand alone books. Sorcery, Pyramids and Small Gods are the ones that stand out in this respect, and Small Gods is one of my favourites  ;D The others break down into Rincewind, Witches, Guards or recently the "Moist von Litwick" series. Whilst not essential to read these in order it does help as the characters really develop. Indeed the Vimes that appears in Guards, Guards is hardly recognisable in the latter Guards series books in my view.

Please do not take this as a complete guide as it's been done from memory, and I'm getting older

Chris

Sourcery is a Rincewind one, though. But if you've read Colour of Magic and Light Fantastic then carry on, because it's the next one. :thumbsup:

Given that Vimes starts off as a hopeless alcoholic and ends up a "toff", as Nobby would put it, it's not surprising he changes a lot.
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

Mossie

Listening In: RAF Electronic Intelligence Gathering since 1945 by Dave Forster & Chris Gibson
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Hobbes

Quote from: Steel Penguin on July 26, 2014, 06:16:18 AM
the long war by  Terry Prattchett and Stephen Baxter,  like the 1st one ( the long earth) and with the title of the 3rd one (the long mars) now out in hard cant resist

I'm torn on these: Terry Pratchett is one of my favourite authors, but Stephen Baxter's Voyage frustrated me no end: so much potential wasted by blathering about politics instead of space travel.

NARSES2

Quote from: pyro-manic on July 27, 2014, 12:10:10 PM

Sourcery is a Rincewind one, though. But if you've read Colour of Magic and Light Fantastic then carry on, because it's the next one. :thumbsup:

[/quote]

Yup but it still stands somewhat alone in my view.

Quote from: JayBee on July 27, 2014, 07:15:29 AM
You forgot the Nac Mac Feegles, Chris, and that could be a Verra Painful thing to do.  :wacko:

Yup but they are in the Tiffany Aching books which strictly speaking are intended for older children - so I suppose I'm ok with them  ;D

Howard of Effingham

Quote from: Mossie on July 28, 2014, 01:18:26 AM
Listening In: RAF Electronic Intelligence Gathering since 1945 by Dave Forster & Chris Gibson

got myself a copy of this at the birmingham show last sunday. what a good book it is.

unsuprisingly OGL and Richard said that the book would probably give me modelling ideas.

it has!  ;D
Keeper of George the Cat.

NARSES2

Another Aeroplane Magazine Company Profile bookazine, this time on Curtis from Smiths

pyro-manic

I picked up Paul Lucas' "TSR.2: Lost Tomorrows of an Eagle" at the Yeovilton airshow last weekend. Have pretty much read the whole thing now. Interesting stuff. I think a strategic bomber version carrying an Avro W.130 or Hatchet type stand-off missile is on the cards... :thumbsup:
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

TallEng

Got to love that VC-10R?  on the rear cover :thumbsup:
How good would it look with Trent's and Winglets?
Also got; Hastings, including a brief history of the Hermes (Handley Page's post war Transport aircraft)
Only to find there's not even a Vacform Hastings in the one true scale :banghead:

Regards
Keith
The British have raised their security level from "Miffed" to "Peeved". Soon though, security levels may be raised yet again to "Irritated" or even "A Bit Cross". Londoners have not been "A Bit Cross" since the Blitz in 1940 when tea supplies ran out for three weeks

Gondor

Quote from: TallEng on August 01, 2014, 10:16:44 AM
Got to love that VC-10R?  on the rear cover :thumbsup:
How good would it look with Trent's and Winglets?
Also got; Hastings, including a brief history of the Hermes (Handley Page's post war Transport aircraft)
Only to find there's not even a Vacform Hastings in the one true scale :banghead:

Regards
Keith

I received the same book today.  :wub:

Maybe my next 1:1 project should be more book shelves!

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....