My library just grew again 2014...

Started by Rheged, December 31, 2013, 10:18:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NARSES2

Just flipped through the Churchill book but there's a lovely quote from the great man where he's in a shot with T.E.Lawrence (of Arabia fame). Apparently he thought him somewhat a man who is not in complete harmony with the normal.  ;D Have to remember that one
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Gondor

Received yesterday from SAM publications their new Scaled Down Modellers Data File number 1 on US Top Guns. Book two in the series, British Phantoms is to follow and I am really looking forward to that particular Book.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

Gondor

Received today from SAM Publications, Book two of their Scaled Down MDF series on the RAF and Royal Navy Phantom's   :thumbsup:

Gondor

My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

jcf

U.S. Submarines Through 1945, Norman Friedman, NIP 1995

Ed Heinemann: Combat Aircraft Designer, Ed Heinemann & Rosario Rausa, NIP 1988 ed.

Rheged

50p in a shop in Leominster,  THE ROYAL AIR FORCE  pictures by Michael Turner, text by Chaz Bowyer, forward by  Raymond Baxter.A selection of artistic impressions of RAF aircraft between 1918 and 1980.

One of the  lesser known aircraft illustrated is the Fairey Hendon.  A twin engine bomber monoplane designed in 1927 to the same requirement as the Heyford but for some reason  not built until 1934. Only 14 were built, but it seems  eminently  Whiffable!!
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

zenrat

I have plans for some of my remaining Heyford bits to become something similar to a Hendon.  Extended wings a prerequisite though.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

PR19_Kit

Quote from: zenrat on November 07, 2014, 04:59:06 PM
  Extended wings a prerequisite though.

Well, yes, and......................?  ;D :lol:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

At SMW Japanese Secret Projects Vol 2
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Steel Penguin

2 from osprey.
on the seven seas, pirate small units,  after black sails ive a hankering.
and  Steampunk soldiers and weapons  worth a punt, if all it does is raze a smile its worth it  ;D
the things you learn, give your mind the wings to fly, and the chains to hold yourself steady
take off and nuke the site form orbit, nope, time for the real thing, CAM and gridfire, call special circumstances. 
wow, its like freefalling into the Geofront
Not a member of the Hufflepuff conspiracy!

NARSES2

Quote from: Steel Penguin on November 13, 2014, 06:44:47 AM
and  Steampunk soldiers and weapons  worth a punt, if all it does is raze a smile its worth it  ;D

That's the one Mike M had 15 people staring at over his shoulder at SMW - great stuff  :thumbsup:

Steel Penguin

it was that recommendation that made me get it  :thumbsup:
the things you learn, give your mind the wings to fly, and the chains to hold yourself steady
take off and nuke the site form orbit, nope, time for the real thing, CAM and gridfire, call special circumstances. 

Steel Penguin

6th doctor source book for the cubicle 7 Dr Who game.  its a compulsive read, and has a few interesting hindsight comments regarding the Time war echoing back to the earlier seasons..
but im now waiting for the 7th

Also read through the 5th  Peter Grant book  Foxglove summer, by Ben AAronovitch,   another riveting page turner.  I cant say much without hitting spoilers, but its another good one in the series.

kitnut617

In the Wet by Neville Shute (eBook version on our Kindle).  Needed to read it because of a GB I'm in over on Beyond the Sprues.  It involves an Avro Atlantic but in the book it's called a De Havilland Ceres
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

PR19_Kit

Quote from: kitnut617 on November 20, 2014, 03:21:54 PM
In the Wet by Neville Shute (eBook version on our Kindle).  Needed to read it because of a GB I'm in over on Beyond the Sprues.  It involves an Avro Atlantic but in the book it's called a De Havilland Ceres

Blimey, that takes me back. One of Shute's better books to my mind, hard-over aviation stuff front to back.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

kitnut617

Quote from: PR19_Kit on November 20, 2014, 04:42:35 PM
Quote from: kitnut617 on November 20, 2014, 03:21:54 PM

Blimey, that takes me back. One of Shute's better books to my mind, hard-over aviation stuff front to back.

Amazingly how accurate Shute got flying times etc, right, considering the book was published in 1952. For instance, White Waltham (near Windsor) to Edmonton Alberta non-stop, 8 1/2 hours.  You lucky to get it that good these days on modern airliners. Plus the route that gets described, White Waltham, Belfast, Iceland, Greenland, Thunder Bay, Edmonton could be right out of a modern air route, and at 50,000 feet
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike