Navalised E28/39

Started by Leading Observer, December 31, 2013, 12:57:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leading Observer

Just taken delivery a 1/72 Gloster E28/39, and had a wild thought ;D - what if the first carrier jet was the E28/39. I'm thinking possibly 1942ish camo, arrester hook etc
LO

Observation is the most enduring of lifes pleasures

Captain Canada

Great idea.....something new to me as well !

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

The Rat

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

sandiego89

Oh, great idea.  Do it.  Given the small size and limited thrust, perhaps a carrier trials aircraft would be best?  Or 1945 Kamikaze interceptor.  
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

Leading Observer

Thanks guys - first project for 2014
LO

comrade harps

QuoteGiven the small size and limited thrust

Just a thought from the limited thrust observation - rocket assisted take-off gear!
Whatever.

JayBee

Thrust problems?
IF, and this is What If world, you are using the old Frog/Novo kit the fuselage is overscale and therefore too big.
So you have a bigger engine for your navalised E28/39, NO problems.  :rolleyes:

Happy New year

Jim
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

sandiego89

Quote from: comrade harps on December 31, 2013, 02:12:49 PM
QuoteGiven the small size and limited thrust

Just a thought from the limited thrust observation - rocket assisted take-off gear!

Well if off a carrier, take off thrust is not so much the worry, as period catapults could sling off an aircraft of that weight no problem- I was more concerned about thrust and spool up time for an approach and wave off.
Dave "Sandiego89"

Leading Observer

Perhaps I'll keep the yellow "P" markings :unsure:
LO

rickshaw

If operational, what and where would the armament go?   IIRC there isn't much room in it for any weapons.
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

sandiego89

Dave "Sandiego89"

Runway ? ...

Fun.
Rato would be good and I'd be tempted to have podded cannons and/or rockets under the wings as armament although there seems to be a bit of space under the pilot for an mg or two.

jcf

Quote from: rickshaw on December 31, 2013, 05:26:23 PM
If operational, what and where would the armament go?   IIRC there isn't much room in it for any weapons.

From the start the design was required to include weigh and space provisions for armament,
four .303 Browning plus 2000 rounds. According to Goulding's Interceptor the guns
were to be mounted in the wings.

The most powerful engine tested in the Pioneers was a Power Jets W.2/500 of 1760 lbs thrust.
Highest speed attained was 466 mph (Rover W2B), highest altitude 42,170 ft (W.2/500).

The biggest problem was the limited fuel load of 81 gallons for an endurance up to 56 minutes.
Fine for a research aircraft but very limiting for a service machine. The longest single flight of
the test series was 32 minutes.

While available thrust wouldn't be an issue, a longer span wing would probably be a help.

Rheged

Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on December 31, 2013, 09:09:20 PM

While available thrust wouldn't be an issue, a longer span wing would probably be a help.

I assume that the bold highlighted  comment might possibly attract the attention of one of our colleagues....
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Rheged on January 01, 2014, 02:14:50 AM
Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on December 31, 2013, 09:09:20 PM

I assume that the bold highlighted  comment might possibly attract the attention of one of our colleagues....

Isn't that ALWAYS the case?  ;D :lol: ;)
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit