Navalised E28/39

Started by Leading Observer, December 31, 2013, 12:57:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NARSES2

To my mind that's a brilliant idea  :bow: Sea Squirt in Pacific Fleet markings as a kamikaze interceptor as suggested above. If launched once the raid had been detected the limited endurance might not be so much of a problem ?
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

rickshaw

Might I suggest putting a late model Seafire wing on the E28/39 fuselage?

Four .30 MGs is not going to be sufficient to stop a Kamikaze.  Much better to have at least two or more 20mm cannons.
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

kitbasher

Catapults?

Naaah - ski ramp!
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

The Rat

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

Leading Observer

Thanks guys - some definite inspiration here. I think an arrestor hook along the lines of the Sea Hurricane e.g. a V shape,mounted just aft of the trailing edge would be appropriate. But what clour scheme, assuming entering service with the FAA about the same time the Meteor joins the RAF?
LO

Observation is the most enduring of lifes pleasures

kitnut617

Considering the E28/39 was a prototype, why not make your in-service version a little bit longer by adding a fuselage plug in front and behind the wing, say about 3mm for each one.  The fuel tank was directly behind the cockpit in the space between it and the engine front and the extra length would increase the tankage quite a bit.  The longer fuselage shape would have a similar effect as the elongated nacelles did for the Meteor.  You could also open up the tail pipe to something like later Meteor Mk.III's had to give it a bit more omph!  I would go with a pair of .303's in the fuselage nose and a pair of 20mm's in pods under the wings
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Leading Observer

Quotewhy not make your in-service version a little bit longer by adding a fuselage plug in front and behind the wing, say about 3mm for each one.  The fuel tank was directly behind the cockpit in the space between it and the engine front and the extra length would increase the tankage quite a bit.  The longer fuselage shape would have a similar effect as the elongated nacelles did for the Meteor.  You could also open up the tail pipe to something like later Meteor Mk.III's had to give it a bit more omph!

Nice! Although I fear it may be beyond my rather limited modeling skills :-\
LO

Observation is the most enduring of lifes pleasures

kitnut617

not as daunting as you might think L.O., just use a few pieces of styrene card but first make them a little bit bigger than the cross section of the fuselage.  Cut the fuselage vertically in front and behind the wing, glue one of the styrene cards to the open end of one fuselage part, then glue the other fuselage part to that.  Once it's thoroughly dried sand the card down to match the fuselage cross section, like what I've done to this Harrier fuselage ---

If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

NARSES2

Quote from: Leading Observer on January 03, 2014, 09:51:17 AM
Thanks guys - some definite inspiration here. I think an arrestor hook along the lines of the Sea Hurricane e.g. a V shape,mounted just aft of the trailing edge would be appropriate. But what clour scheme, assuming entering service with the FAA about the same time the Meteor joins the RAF?

Either EDSG/DSG over Sky or the much better looking EDSG over Sky with the low demarcation line. EDSG/DSG always looks dirty to me
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

TallEng

[/quote]

Either EDSG/DSG over Sky or the much better looking EDSG over Sky with the low demarcation line. EDSG/DSG always looks dirty to me
[/quote]

DSG had me confused for a while :unsure: I take it you mean Dark Slate Grey And not Dark Sea Grey?
My thought; what about Sea Blue? Although I can't for the life of me think of a British built Aircraft that was so painted. I just happen to think it looks good together with B.P.F. Roundels.

Regards
Keith
The British have raised their security level from "Miffed" to "Peeved". Soon though, security levels may be raised yet again to "Irritated" or even "A Bit Cross". Londoners have not been "A Bit Cross" since the Blitz in 1940 when tea supplies ran out for three weeks

NARSES2

Quote from: TallEng on January 04, 2014, 02:55:25 AM

[/quote]

DSG had me confused for a while :unsure: I take it you mean Dark Slate Grey And not Dark Sea Grey?
My thought; what about Sea Blue? Although I can't for the life of me think of a British built Aircraft that was so painted. I just happen to think it looks good together with B.P.F. Roundels.

Regards
Keith
[/quote]

Sorry Keith, yup Extra Dark Sea Grey and Dark Slate Grey. Agree re how Gloss Sea Blue with BPF markings looks  :thumbsup: Could say it was trialled by the USN who hastily borrowed a couple for close in defence ? and then handed back only for the FAA to find it had been repainted ?  :blink: