New Farley Fruitbat pictures

Started by The Rat, January 01, 2014, 10:07:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Rat

A recent death of an old friend has brought into my possession a couple of pictures of the legendary Farley Fruitbat. Although they do not contain any new information, they are definitely of interest to the aviation historian.

Picture #1 shows a Fruitbat (believed to be the nightfighter variant) banking to port on approach. Both navigation lights are clearly seen, and the twin landing lights are only just warming up after being turned on. No exhaust flame is visible, probably because the engines have been throttled back to idle. The base may be RAF Little Fartington, Rutland.

Picture #2 is obviously the ground attack variant on a night exercise, tracer fire can be clearly seen. Faint notation on the back of the print gives the pilot as Squadron Leader Neville Pratt-Bottomly. Location is probably the island of Upper Down, sadly now obliterated as a result of years of live-fire exercises.

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

kerick

Reminds me of the picture of a polar bear in a snowstorm eating vanilla ice cream!
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Mr.Creak

It's the Mk.1A.
You can tell by the seat adjuster handle.
What if... I had a brain?

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Mr.Creak on January 01, 2014, 12:16:16 PM
It's the Mk.1A.
You can tell by the seat adjuster handle.

Oh yes, they were very distinctive, on the IBs they reverted to the Mini 'style piece-of-string' adjusters used on the prototype.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Rheged

One can tell it's a Little  Fartington based  aircraft in picture 2 as the armourers there used only white tracer  rounds.  Had it been  Higher Cludgington based  the tracer rounds would have been red.
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

The Rat

Quote from: Rheged on January 01, 2014, 01:20:47 PM
One can tell it's a Little  Fartington based  aircraft in picture 2 as the armourers there used only white tracer  rounds.

Hmmm, I saw them as light yellow. The plot thickens...  :unsure:
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

rickshaw

Interesting how in the first picture, the two, "slowly firing up" landing lights betray their power source, Acetylene.  Now, those Acetylene lights were much cause of misery to both the ground and air crews of the Fruitbats. The fuel was very volatile but gave quite a bright white light.  The problem was it was dangerous to fuel them for each sortie and it was dangerous if there was a crash landing.  They were though, much slower to start up as pressure had to be built up from a hand pump powered by the observer/rear gunner.
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

eatthis

youre all mental its clearly a ufo
custom made pc desks built to order (including pc inside the the desk)

https://www.etsy.com/uk/your/listings?ref=si_your_shop

http://tinypic.com/m/hx3lmq/3

TallEng

Quote from: The Rat on January 01, 2014, 04:37:36 PM
Quote from: Rheged on January 01, 2014, 01:20:47 PM
One can tell it's a Little  Fartington based  aircraft in picture 2 as the armourers there used only white tracer  rounds.

Hmmm, I saw them as light yellow. The plot thickens...  :unsure:

Are you sure? :unsure: they could be orange tracer rounds, as used by the station armoury at Hiding in the hedges, where the O.C.U was based for a time.
You know how old color film can be affected with a colour cast, and then there is the RGB effect from your laptop/computer screen....
plus scanning of old photos/negatives and digitising.... its a minefield out there with regard to interpreting old pictures.... :thumbsup:

Regards
Keith
The British have raised their security level from "Miffed" to "Peeved". Soon though, security levels may be raised yet again to "Irritated" or even "A Bit Cross". Londoners have not been "A Bit Cross" since the Blitz in 1940 when tea supplies ran out for three weeks

Mr.Creak

Quote from: eatthis on January 02, 2014, 05:13:27 AMyoure all mental its clearly a ufo
Don't be silly.
The RAF didn't operate UFOs from Little Fartington.
What if... I had a brain?

rickshaw

Quote from: eatthis on January 02, 2014, 05:13:27 AM
youre all mental its clearly a ufo

Mental?  Nope, not me.  I've got the release papers that prove I'm not mental!  ;D ;D ;D
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

The Rat

Before he passed away my friend told me that there may be a Fruitbat crash site on the island of Lower Down, just north of Upper Down. As this is now a wildlife sanctuary it may be difficult obtaining permission for an investigation.

Captain Canada

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Rheged

Quote from: Mr.Creak on January 02, 2014, 05:57:27 AM
Quote from: eatthis on January 02, 2014, 05:13:27 AMyoure all mental its clearly a ufo
Don't be silly.
The RAF didn't operate UFOs from Little Fartington.

Didn't ETPS lease a  couple  from British Railways in the mid 1970's? The BBC reported on it at the time......

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4801928.stm
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet