Radar query......

Started by Army of One, January 02, 2014, 02:08:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mossie

You don't need to replace everything due to multi-mode radar, hence the slightly larger nose of the P.71.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Captain Canada

It's always amazed me how small the front end of the Jag is.... like the pilots feet are going to stick out !

:thumbsup:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Weaver

Quote from: Mossie on January 05, 2014, 05:21:10 AM
You don't need to replace everything due to multi-mode radar, hence the slightly larger nose of the P.71.

I suspect the naval P.71 would have had radar plus doppler nav (like a SHAR) while the Air Force version would have had laser plus inertial nav (like a Jag). Multi-mode radar doesn't do the navigating unfortunately, and doppler is both much smaller than inertial in terms of "black boxage", and is easier to use when operating from a moving ship that doesn't provide a good reference platform for setting the inertial system up. However doppler also doesn't provide the precision of inertial when used from a land base and it's an active emitter which non-ideal.

There's a cutaway of the Jaguar here: http://zarco-macross.wdfiles.com/local--files/wiki:sepecat-jaguar/124-1.jpg Look how much non-disposable hardware is located between the cockpit and the laser bay....
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones