Main Menu

JS3 Hovertank

Started by Scooterman, January 03, 2014, 07:20:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scooterman

Knocking the dust from the modeling bench..........

1/72 Trumpeter JS3m turret on some sort of anime hoverbike thingie that Rotorhead TX gave me. Barrel extended a bit, Model Master RAF dark green with a dry brushed lighter green that the pics really don't capture well, out of scale sprue antenna (but I like the look) and two red stars from the bin that fell apart after applying Sol, but managed to piece somewhat back together.

Cobra

This is Too Cool! Any other Cool Projects Planned? Keep up the Superb Work :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: Dan

kerick

Cool look!
I've always wondered how far backwards one of these vehicles would go when the main gun was fired? Assuming the vehicle does not dig into the dirt, it would make an interesting physics problem.
Assuming the vehicle weighs 50 tons or 45,360 kg, and that the 122mm gun fires a 25 kg shell at 800 meters/second, the vehicle would travel backwards from a stopped position at 0.44 meters/second or about one mile/hour.
(25 kg x 800 m/s)/45,360 kg = 0.44 m/s or approximately 1 mile/hour.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

PR19_Kit

It may only travel an inch or so.

As the gun's axis is quite high it will exert a torque about the hoizontal axis of the tank and so tend to dig the skirt at the back into the ground. That should stop it moving too far.  ;D

The gun-layers job would be a bit of a bitch as he'd have to re-lay the gun every shot if he wanted to stay on target, unless the tank had a gyro-stabilised mount like ships do of course.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Fantastic and a surprise. Reading the title I expected a "normal" JS3 but with a hovercrafts skirts instead of the tracks  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

deathjester

WOW!!  I love this  :wub: :wub:  What a cool idea !!  :thumbsup:

kerick

Quote from: PR19_Kit on January 03, 2014, 11:35:59 PM
It may only travel an inch or so.

As the gun's axis is quite high it will exert a torque about the hoizontal axis of the tank and so tend to dig the skirt at the back into the ground. That should stop it moving too far.  ;D

The gun-layers job would be a bit of a bitch as he'd have to re-lay the gun every shot if he wanted to stay on target, unless the tnak had a gyro-stabilised mount like ships do of course.

Perhaps add a spade like device on the rear to catch the ground and absorb the damage?
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Sticky Fingers

Can't.... stop.... grinning.... ;D

So cool :wub:

Captain Canada

Nice work ! Looks the part to me. I always hate how the camera 'steals' away details like that....need to hire a professional model photographer ! :banghead:

You know what would be supercool, and cat crazy ? Making one of these out of a Rumba vaccuum !

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

TallEng

A round tank! :blink: :blink: What ever next?
And there I was thinking JS3 hmm... Joint Strike???

Grand idea :thumbsup:

Regards
Keith
The British have raised their security level from "Miffed" to "Peeved". Soon though, security levels may be raised yet again to "Irritated" or even "A Bit Cross". Londoners have not been "A Bit Cross" since the Blitz in 1940 when tea supplies ran out for three weeks

Scooterman

Quote from: kerick on January 03, 2014, 10:12:06 PM
I've always wondered how far backwards one of these vehicles would go when the main gun was fired? Assuming the vehicle does not dig into the dirt, it would make an interesting physics problem.

No issue whatsoever......122mm railgun;D

Quote from: Captain Canada on January 04, 2014, 09:26:44 AM
You know what would be supercool, and cat crazy ? Making one of these out of a Rumba vaccuum !

That's a BRILLIANT idea!    :thumbsup: :wacko:

kerick

Now I have to look up RC model tanks with a gun that fires (or at least makes noise!). JS3 might be hard to find but I know there is M-1 Abrams out there.
Tophe the Wise

Geoff

Weaver

Quote from: NARSES2 on January 04, 2014, 02:44:56 AM
Fantastic and a surprise. Reading the title I expected a "normal" JS3 but with a hovercrafts skirts instead of the tracks  :thumbsup:

I did exactly the same thing - nice one Scooter!  :thumbsup:

On the subject of recoil, railguns don't have any less recoil than CPR (Chemically Propelled Round, i.e "normal") guns. The recoil is caused by the fact that you're throwing mass away from you, not by the mechanism you use. In a railgun, the round and the barrel are "connected" by the magnet field so the gun is pushed backwards in proportion to the force in just the same way as a CPR gun.

I suspect that if real hovertanks ever do come to pass, they'll use a combination of lasers (if that technology comes to pass too), missiles and small recoiless guns like the RMK 30: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rheinmetall_RMK30
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Army of One

What a great build.......
BODY,BODY....HEAD..!!!!

IF YER HIT, YER DEAD!!!!