Harrier gun pod question

Started by rickshaw, January 08, 2014, 09:47:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rickshaw

The original 30mm Aden gun pods carried on Harriers.  Where is the ammunition stored?  Is it all in the pod or is it carried in the fuselage?
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

grayman

Quote from: rickshaw on January 08, 2014, 09:47:42 PM
The original 30mm Aden gun pods carried on Harriers.  Where is the ammunition stored?  Is it all in the pod or is it carried in the fuselage?

I believe it was all in the pod (to the rear of the canon).

AV-8B was different:

HTH.  <_<
Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open -- General Sir Michael Dewar.

PR19_Kit

As Grayman says it was all in carried the pod. There's no room in the fuselage above the pod, it's stuffed full of engine....  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

DarrenP

wasn't there an ECM system fitted into the Aden Pod in lieu of the gun I remember seeing some stuff about its use in the falklands. But have heard nothing more about it.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: DarrenP on January 09, 2014, 05:42:11 AM
wasn't there an ECM system fitted into the Aden Pod in lieu of the gun I remember seeing some stuff about its use in the falklands. But have heard nothing more about it.

That was the 'Blue Eric' fit I think, or some other such humorous title.  ;D

AFAIK it was only fitted to one pod, leaving the other one with its Aden, and maybe only on the GR3s rather than the SHARs as well.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Captain Canada

Nice pictures of the gun layouts. I really need to take a trip back to Harrierville and get cracking on those kits !

:tornado:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?