Model car parts suppliers

Started by PR19_Kit, January 11, 2014, 10:24:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PR19_Kit

For reference..........

That's an early 2C in the lead, followed by the 2F and the 2D trailing.

Which is rather odd as most references say the 2F was built from the 2D.....
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

kitnut617

It must have been the 2C then, it looks familiar
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

zenrat

Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on January 12, 2014, 10:55:18 AM
Zenrat, you're welcome to your opinion, however just because someone is personally passionate
about build quality and concerned with accuracy it doesn't make them a JMN, it's how they enjoy
their hobby. This whole beware the evil JMN thing is tiresome.

I'm all for passion in a hobby Jon.  That forum is badly run with the mods actively playing favourites allowing their favoured members to get away with whatever they want while clamping down severely on the rest if they step out of line.
But.  Just my opinion like I said.

Your remark is ironic as I found the What If forum while goggling the meaning of JMN...
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

jcf

Ironic? Not really, as my personal participation in What-If has ef'all to do with mythical
JMNs. I play here because I've played around with off-center paint-schemes and oddball
creations, so-called 'whiffery', almost as long as I've been building models, and I've been
sticking moulded plastic bits together since 1966.

What I find ironic is that the people who whine the loudest about JMNs don't seem to
get that they are indulging in their own form of JMN-ery.  :banghead:

Back to the Chaparral, Kit I'll post some pics later this week, along with a 1/32 Monogram 1965
Pontiac GTO I did as a two-day speed-build during the NWSM Show at the Museum of Flight Feb., 2012. 
The GTO was built in the same fashion, polished plastic body, hairy stick acrylics and Sharpies
(black, silver, orange and red) for the details :thumbsup:

Weaver

Getting your kicks from accurate modelling is perfectly fine and doesn't make you a JMN, nor does simply "not getting" whiffery.

To earn the JMN appellation you have to go out of your way to actively impose that view on other sorts of modeller, particularly us. There are people, fortunately fewer in number these days it seems, who go out of their way to come up to the What If table at shows and make a big show of tutting and muttering about how "wrong" and "silly" it is. At the extreme they can be quite offensive: there was one guy who went up to a bunch of teenage air cadets who'd built TSR.2s in "operational" camo schemes and tore a strip off them, telling them that they'd "completely wasted their time" because all the real TSR.2s were white... :banghead:

The term is probably used excessively and inappropriately, but these people definately arn't "mythical": I've met them in person several times, and I've only done a tiny number of shows compared to many on here.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Weaver on January 13, 2014, 06:18:30 PM
The term is probably used excessively and inappropriately, but these people definately arn't "mythical": I've met them in person several times, and I've only done a tiny number of shows compared to many on here.

Indeed, they've been almost endemic in recent years at UK shows, but I noticed a slight decrease in their number during 2013. This was also echoed by an increase in WHiffed models on other club stands too, so maybe OGL's suppposition that we're becoming almost 'mainstream' has some merit?

[Just noticed I've drifted my own thread here........  ;D :lol:]
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

jcf

Well then, I guess I live in modeller's paradise here in Cascadia because I can
honestly say I've never encountered the sort you describe in person.  ;D

Perhaps they are a British thing?, a sub-species of anorak?  ;)

As to JMN-ish behaviour on the web ... well, it's the web with all that implies.  :banghead:

Back on subject, Revell have released a new tool kit based on an old Monogram
from the '60s, the 1/25th Slingster 6-in-1 dragster customizing kit. The
original Sizzler vintage kit was to a nominal 1/24th scale but according to
some sources many of the components were closer to 1/20th. 
:blink:

http://cs.scaleautomag.com/sca/modeling_subjects/f/31/t/116868.aspx

http://public.fotki.com/funman1712/first-look-at-all-n/new-revell-slingste/new-revell-slingste-1/

PR19_Kit

Strewth, I had a Sizzler kit (Was it released with two different names back then?) way back when and I agree with the reviewer in that it was very weird, almost as if they'd made the kit out of a bunch of parts that just happened to almost match each other.

The later Revell Tony Nancy 22JR Dragster/Coupe kit was, and is, a lot better scource for parts as they DO fit each other. I have two of them in stock for just that purpose, although I may build the 22JR dragster RW as I saw, and heard  ;D the real thing run during the US Drag Racing Team tour here in 1964. Not as quick as Don Garlits though!  :thumbsup:

That Tour changed my whole life one way and another  ;D

Regards
Kit

PR19_Kit

Apropos of my last post I just found this.

http://www.trakbytes.co.uk/anec9.html

Fascinating story from a guy who was on the other side of the fence at the DragFest.  ;D

I went to every one of the meets on that Tour, but my brother only came to the first one and then gave up as the weather was appalling at some of them. My strongest memory is of Don Garlits trying VERY hard to break 200 mph in the quarter mile at Woodvale in TORRENTIAL rain! He managed 196 or so, and then apologised to us all while standing on his car in the middle of the strip holding a PA mike! I can still hear that 'Good Ole Deep South' accent, 'Weall a'hm reealy sorry ah didn't make the 200 folks, but we don't draave in weather lark this baeck home'  ;D

Regards
Kit

zenrat

Quote from: PR19_Kit on January 14, 2014, 03:35:45 PM
...The later Revell Tony Nancy 22JR Dragster/Coupe kit was, and is, a lot better scource for parts as they DO fit each other. I have two of them in stock for just that purpose, although I may build the 22JR dragster RW as I saw, and heard  ;D the real thing run during the US Drag Racing Team tour here in 1964. Not as quick as Don Garlits though!  :thumbsup:

That Tour changed my whole life one way and another  ;D

It's not an easy build but they go together (typical of the era - take your time and test fit and you'll be fine.  Rush it and you'll have a mess).  The front wheels bug me but i don't think I have the patience to scratchbuild more accurate ones.  The chrome on mine is a bit iffy.  I'm working on the roadster at the moment and have had to strip and alclad a lot of it.
Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: zenrat on January 17, 2014, 04:16:29 PM
Quote from: PR19_Kit on January 14, 2014, 03:35:45 PM
...The later Revell Tony Nancy 22JR Dragster/Coupe kit was, and is, a lot better scource for parts as they DO fit each other. I have two of them in stock for just that purpose, although I may build the 22JR dragster RW as I saw, and heard  ;D the real thing run during the US Drag Racing Team tour here in 1964. Not as quick as Don Garlits though!  :thumbsup:

That Tour changed my whole life one way and another  ;D

It's not an easy build but they go together (typical of the era - take your time and test fit and you'll be fine.  Rush it and you'll have a mess).  The front wheels bug me but i don't think I have the patience to scratchbuild more accurate ones.  The chrome on mine is a bit iffy.  I'm working on the roadster at the moment and have had to strip and alclad a lot of it.

SUPERB!  :thumbsup: :bow:

Brings back some wonderful memories almost instantaneously!  ;D

Is that from a new build kit or the 60s original? I have both versions in The Loft, although I used parts from the 60s mould Roadster for my Super Bug Competition Coupe, plus I have a 70-80s compendium kit that has both of them plus a support truck as well.

Regards
Kit

zenrat

Thanks Kit.  It's the repop they released a year or two ago.  I can't afford the originals so I look forward to restored re-releases.
Looks to me like they cleaned the moulds up a bit (minimal flash) but that's about it - other than that it's just like they were back in the day.
I added plug wires and fuel line.
I did some more to the roadster yesterday.  I ignored the instructions so I could glue the 2 body halves and fill the seam before painting and now it's a pig to fit all the little bits that go inside like the steering and brake master cylinder.

The Orange Crate has also been re-released as has the AMT '36 Ford with all the old parts restored.

Fred

PR19_Kit

That's the impression I got too, that they cleaned the moulds for the re-pop I mean. My version in the compendium kit is terrible, flash all over the place, but the chrome sprue is OK, thank goodness.

That blower scoop on both of Nancy's cars, the 22Jr and the rear engined dragster, were a big inspiration to me, I just loved the shape. One of my old models I'm in the middle of restoring has a similar shaped scoop but maybe 2 or 3 times the size! :o :lol:

You'll see what I mean when I post the pics before much longer....  ;)

Regards
Kit

Captain Canada

I had a great big order from that Detail in Scale site, mostly decals for 1/12th scale MotoGP and 500GP bikes, tests schemes, specials etc....almost $200 worth. I had to cancel it for financial reasons...then when I went to reorder, he had decided to fold up his tent and do something else ! A real shame, the site was awesome.

On that token, I'm still looking for a good place to find the stuff I'm after, Maybe a bike modeliing forum out there ?

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

zenrat

I don't know of any specifically bike oriented forums but the oz auto builders forum (link on pg1) has a bike section as do a few others.  On US forums they tend to have too many Harleys for my liking.

Have you looked at Hobby Link Japan www.hlj.com for decals?
Fred