Want an injection moulding machine?

Started by Weaver, January 14, 2014, 07:28:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Weaver

"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

rickshaw

The machine is only half the story.  It's not going to be any use without moulds and they cost a real packet.
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

kerick

It might come in handy for that six engine bomber with contra rotating props.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

jcf

Quote from: rickshaw on January 14, 2014, 09:02:12 PM
The machine is only half the story.  It's not going to be any use without moulds and they cost a real packet.

Full steel moulds, yes; metal-filled epoxy moulds as used in short run kits for decades, not so much.

loupgarou

Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on January 14, 2014, 10:54:54 PM

Full steel moulds, yes; metal-filled epoxy moulds as used in short run kits for decades, not so much.

The small one uses silicone moulds.
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

Weaver

As a matter of interest, does anyone have an approximate idea what the tooling costs are for the various different types of mould?
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."

- Indiana Jones

Hobbes

For the 1:24 Trabant, Revell spent something like €100k on the moulds.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Hobbes on January 15, 2014, 08:02:15 AM

That would have probably bought the entire existing supply of REAL 1/1 scale Trabbies!  :o
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Weaver

Cheers - that's the sort of rough figure I've heard before. Scary isn't it?  :blink:

- Indiana Jones

Sticky Fingers

Well, you could always pretend you make your own moulds... in 1/20 scale.
http://www.hlj.com/product/FNMMNK-101/Rsc
;)

Hobbes

Quote from: Weaver on January 15, 2014, 11:52:48 AM

Cheers - that's the sort of rough figure I've heard before. Scary isn't it?  :blink:

Yup, it's a lot of money. The Trabant is on the high end because it's a relatively large kit (lots of sprues and the car body means you need a deep, complex mould). Some of the money goes into engineering, making sure the liquid plastic flows well throughout the mould. The rest is milling and/or spark erosion on huge blocks of steel.

jcf

Quote from: loupgarou on January 15, 2014, 12:23:47 AM
Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on January 14, 2014, 10:54:54 PM

The small one uses silicone moulds.

... or aluminum, which means that it could probably use epoxy moulds.
Even a high rigidity silicone would flex too much for moulding a 'kit'.
The silicone does allow for limited undercuts and less concern over
proper draft when making patterns and moulds.

Ask Terry 'braincells37' Moore about 299 Models and the frankinjector moulding machine.  ;D

Mossie

In a previous job we used a vacuum moulding machine, a souped up industrial version of a simple vacuum former that you might use to make a garage kit.  We usually just needed a simple shaped hollow to take a bag for a product, it would cost us £10K minimum, fifteen years ago.   Add in complexity and the cost would rise massively.  We could get thermosetting plastic moulds made that would do for a prototype, you were still talking a couple of thousand pounds.  If we were lucky, the company might absorb it into their total costs if we ordered the full moulds.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

zenrat

Quote from: Hobbes on January 15, 2014, 01:17:40 PM
Quote from: Weaver on January 15, 2014, 11:52:48 AM

Yup, it's a lot of money. The Trabant is on the high end because it's a relatively large kit (lots of sprues and the car body means you need a deep, complex mould). Some of the money goes into engineering, making sure the liquid plastic flows well throughout the mould. The rest is milling and/or spark erosion on huge blocks of steel.

It's a nice kit.  My neighbour gave me one he didn't want and I was surprised by the level of detail in it.  I'm toying with the idea of a Trabant/BMW 635 Mistel...
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

retro_seventies

For a relatively simple 2 piece aluminum mould, sized approx 7x5, we're paying around $4000 US.  Production is in China and turnaround isn't lightning fast, but the price and the product are more than adequate.
"Computer games don't affect kids. I mean, if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." Kristin Wilson, Nintendo Inc, 1989.