DH 82 Tiger Moth ...

Started by jcf, January 16, 2014, 03:46:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jcf

Quote from: Mossie on September 03, 2014, 04:07:12 AM
Was a radial ever fitted to a Tiger Moth?  I know a few models in the Moth series were fitted with radials, but I've never seen one on a Tiggie.  Armstrong Siddely Lynx maybe, similar to the Hawk Moth?

A Lynx would be way too big, and 200lbs heavier than the Gipsy Major,
maybe a Genet Major or a Warner Scarab?

Mossie

Thanks John, I'd missed the Genet Major and could only think of the Genet.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

zenrat

The fighter is interesting.  I've been thinking along those lines and now realise I must have read this thread back in the dim mists of antiquity (January) and promptly filed it in some part of my subconscious mind.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Mossie

Thanks Paul, that's what I had in mind when thinking of the Tiger Moth, the Genet Moth upgraded.  The Tiger might look good with a similar nose, or possibly in a ring fairing for the later seven cylinder version of the Genet Major.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

JayBee

And of course earlier this week Hannants got this in stock :

http://www.hannants.co.uk/product/AMU72281

Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

jcf

You wouldn't have the extended nose of the Genet Moth on a Tiger Moth with
a Genet Major. The Genet Major and Gipsy Major are very similar in weight,
so the A-S engine would mount in the same location as the De Havilland engine.

The Genet Moth had the extended nose because the A-S Genet was over 100 lbs lighter
than the D-H Gipsy engine.

Captain Canada

Never seen that Genet Moth before...kinda neat but also kinda ruins the nice lines. Expensive little kit too ! You'd think it would be easier to just cob one up with the new Airfix kit ?

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

jcf

If you straighten the wings.  ;)

The Genet Moth was a conversion of a DH.60 Moth, rather than a DH.82 Tiger Moth.

maxmwill

Well, if a Texan can be converted into a bomber(for the 100 hour, or Soccer War), a Fighting Tiger Moth would be a doable idea.

maxmwill

Quote from: NARSES2 on January 18, 2014, 05:53:16 AM
I have a plan for the new Airfix one when it's out  :rolleyes:

After thinking further on it, I'm about paralleling your plan, as I already have a Tigermoth kit, a reissue of the old Matchbox 1/32. ;)

maxmwill

Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on September 04, 2014, 09:50:36 AM
If you straighten the wings.  ;)

The Genet Moth was a conversion of a DH.60 Moth, rather than a DH.82 Tiger Moth.

I've seen a few pictures of the Genet Moth, and I don't think that it was the 7 cylinder Genet Major, but the smaller 5 cylinder engine.

This Genet Moth model looks really nice.

jcf

Mmm, yeah, no one said the DH.60 Genet Moth used the Genet Major, that engine was
suggested for a fictional DH.82 Tiger Moth conversion to a radial.

Mossie

Just to confuse matters, the Genet Major I had five cylinders like the Genet.  The Genet Major IA was the one with seven cylinders and to confuse things further, was also known as the Civet I.

maxmwill

Ok.

For a while now, I've been trying to research the DH 60 Genet Moth, because I though it might make for an interesting build in 1/48, having never heard of a kit for the Genet Moth, and have found very little on it.

But, after that link from Hannants was shared, I might try it in 72nd, the A model kit, because I never could get the structure forward of the cockpit right on the quarter scale model.