WWII kitbash

Started by sturmvogel, January 17, 2014, 11:37:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PR19_Kit

Quote from: NARSES2 on January 22, 2014, 07:14:09 AM
Just finished Alison Weir's "Lancaster and York" and must admit it's one of the few books since school where I've found it necessary to take notes  :banghead:

Didn't it cover the Lincoln and Shackleton as well?  ;D

Or even kick off with the Manchester....?
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Captain Canada

That's pretty neat looking ! Go for it !

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

NARSES2

Quote from: PR19_Kit on January 23, 2014, 04:53:37 AM
Quote from: NARSES2 on January 22, 2014, 07:14:09 AM
Just finished Alison Weir's "Lancaster and York" and must admit it's one of the few books since school where I've found it necessary to take notes  :banghead:

Didn't it cover the Lincoln and Shackleton as well?  ;D

Or even kick off with the Manchester....?

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: ;D ;D
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

sturmvogel

Quick revival of this (no pictures unfortunately). Decided to change the flaps from the Spitfire's (which looked terrible) to the Bf109's (which are positioned down and look much better). Still need to find some putty like Mr. Surfacer 500 (or any blending putty that will work on styrene). Then the masking, priming, and painting can begin.
"Helos don't fly, they vibrate so hard the ground rejects them." -Tom Clancy

Due to budget cuts, the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off

zenrat

You've chopped up British, American and German planes.  Why not give it Japanese or Russian markings?
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

sturmvogel

Quote from: zenrat on March 20, 2014, 08:46:15 PM
You've chopped up British, American and German planes.  Why not give it Japanese or Russian markings?
I have a set of Indian AF markings from a MiG-21 I built earlier (think I still have the Soviet markings as well).

sturmvogel

Got the landing gear bays painted (forgot the doors at my house, but I can get them this weekend). The new flaps are also visible.

Another view of the flaps:

Test mounting the prop:

Found the Soviet decals, probably going to do a scheme similar to late-war Yak-9's (two shades of blue) or a splinter scheme of two greys.

Tophe

[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

Captain Canada

Now that's different !

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

sturmvogel

Another quick update, finally remembered to bring the gear doors, got those painted earlier. Milliput (the original yellow-grey) has been ordered, so I can finally get the wings and nose blended into the fuselage properly. Unfortunately priming will not be able to be done, but I will polish the model as best as I can, so the paint looks somewhat nice. The final livery hasn't been chosen yet, but I have a couple ideas.

sturmvogel

A fairly short update (no photos due to my laptop being repaired), got the Milliput and applied it to the kitbash. Holy hell why didn't I get this sooner? It's probably one of the best things I have ever used. Going back to the kitbash, I changed the prop blades from the Bf109 ones to the Mustang blades. Those need to be painted. The wing cannon are also changed, with the barrels shortened. Painting of the camoflage should begin by the end kf this week, possibly earlier. That depends on how quickly I can build Academy's 1/72 M25 Dragon Wagon and get it painted (going to use it as a possible solution to transporting nuclear waste casks on roads, complete with a 1/72 scale version of the cask)

sturmvogel

Finally some work has been done on the kitbash! I started painting the camoflage. A single coat of light blue was brushed down as a base, left to sit for a night, then the white for the recognition panels was added (three coats worth). Two coats of yellow were added for the stripes, and it was left to sit again for a few hours. Masking was completed and the first coat of darker blue was added recently. The second coat will be added later tonight or tomorrow.

Base coat of blue

After the addition of the recognition panels and first coat of dark blue

ChernayaAkula

Cool concept!  :thumbsup: Looks really, really nice!
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

sturmvogel

I have good news and bad news. The good news is that I am almost completely finished with the various fiddly bits (added the landing gear earlier, installed the canopy last night, prop is almost installed). The bad news is that I seem to have lost the Soviet decals. I still have the American, British, and German decal sheets, so now I need to choose the nationality yet again.

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..