Pusher/puller Spitfire

Started by FAR148, January 18, 2014, 08:31:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PR19_Kit

Put BOTH engines in front of the cockpit, like the MC72, extend the tail some and have a looooong extension shaft to the rear prop.  ;)
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

eatthis

Quote from: Weaver on January 18, 2014, 02:17:35 PM
Funnily enough, the most "Spitfire-like" push-pull concept I've ever come up with a twin-boom one. You basically have a Spitfire cockpit section between two Spitfire engine sections, with Vampire-like tailbooms holding the fins and tailplane. Because the booms don't have to accomodate the rear engine or prop, they can have whatever "Spitfire-looking" taper you like, and the fins can be perfect copies of the Spitfire one.

iv got a twin boom version on the go with 3 engines and push/pull  :lol: it also has 4 cannons in the nose and 4 in the inner wing root  :wub:

custom made pc desks built to order (including pc inside the the desk)

https://www.etsy.com/uk/your/listings?ref=si_your_shop

http://tinypic.com/m/hx3lmq/3

eatthis

Quote from: FAR148 on January 18, 2014, 11:41:05 AM
Great model :thumbsup:  but it does not "look" like a spitfire. It's a very iconic shape that is easily recognized.  Once you start playing around with the proportions of the spit.... it starts to look strange. I'm not trying figure out what would it takes to make a real pusher/puller spit. I'm just trying(AOL keyword: trying) to make a pusher/puller spitfire and keep those classy lines.

Hope that make sense.... :-\ :unsure:
Steven L

i agree to a point (i still think it looks a fair bit like a spit) but as has been stated if you want an engine behind the pit then the rear fuse needs major alterations.

i agree about the rear prop fairing though it was a bit of an afterthought because the rear prop was too close to the ground for my liking and i wish id done the fairing differently

FAR148

Ok after rethinking and redrawing things, I went with the mid engine/driveshaft idea.  Here's where I'm now.....

Steven L  :cheers:

TallEng

Looks good :thumbsup: have you shortened the rear fuselage? It looks kind of stumpy.
And for interest this is my latest Blu-tack and masking tape mockup :rolleyes:

Regards
Keith
The British have raised their security level from "Miffed" to "Peeved". Soon though, security levels may be raised yet again to "Irritated" or even "A Bit Cross". Londoners have not been "A Bit Cross" since the Blitz in 1940 when tea supplies ran out for three weeks

eatthis

Quote from: TallEng on January 19, 2014, 09:11:06 AM
Looks good :thumbsup: have you shortened the rear fuselage? It looks kind of stumpy.
And for interest this is my latest Blu-tack and masking tape mockup :rolleyes:

Regards
Keith

yeh hes shortened the ail for the same reason me and you have lengthened the nose/moved the wing rearward ie weight/lift distrubution its a good idea and i wish id thought of it lol

andrewj

Interesting designs , two engines , same sized airframes , same fuel capacity, doesn't add up . I think you'll need to enlarge the airframe considerably , after all the Do335 was not a small aircraft .

Andrew

FAR148

Quotehave you shortened the rear fuselage? It looks kind of stumpy.

Her overall length is the same. Her tail was moved forward.

QuoteInteresting designs , two engines , same sized airframes , same fuel capacity, doesn't add up

Don't bring reality into this. Don't forget, this is "What If" not JMN forum  :thumbsup:

Steven L   :drink:

perttime

Yep Cool looking but unlikely to be practical, or even feasible.  :angry:

Now, make it anyway! A high speed interceptor against Martians, or something  :thumbsup:  ;D

My eye misses more tailplane area. Got any spares that might fit?

jcf

Quote from: FAR148 on January 19, 2014, 11:23:11 AM

Don't bring reality into this. Don't forget, this is "What If" not JMN forum  :thumbsup:

Realistic What-Ifs are just as valid as any stuck-a-bit-o-this-on-a-bit-o-that flight of fancy and preferring
realistic What-Ifs, and discussing the hypothetical engineering of same, does not make one a JMN.  :banghead:

FAR148

QuoteRealistic What-Ifs are just as valid as any stuck-a-bit-o-this-on-a-bit-o-that flight of fancy and preferring
realistic What-Ifs, and discussing the hypothetical engineering of same, does not make one a JMN.

Very true but I don't care about the hypothetical engineering. No joy for me in that. Again I'm just playing around with an idea and trying to make it look right.

Cheers
Steven L  :cheers:

kerick

Build what makes you happy, we all do this for the fun of it.
This discussion has provided me with a possible solution to a whif problem of my own! It would involve two Mustangs and a Black Widow.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Weaver

Quote from: eatthis on January 19, 2014, 05:29:27 AM
Quote from: Weaver on January 18, 2014, 02:17:35 PM
Funnily enough, the most "Spitfire-like" push-pull concept I've ever come up with a twin-boom one. You basically have a Spitfire cockpit section between two Spitfire engine sections, with Vampire-like tailbooms holding the fins and tailplane. Because the booms don't have to accomodate the rear engine or prop, they can have whatever "Spitfire-looking" taper you like, and the fins can be perfect copies of the Spitfire one.

iv got a twin boom version on the go with 3 engines and push/pull  :lol: it also has 4 cannons in the nose and 4 in the inner wing root  :wub:

Oh that's very nice - want to see that finished!  :thumbsup:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Librarian

Could you put on a shot of the underside? Looking very very much to completion, very nice :thumbsup:.

dumaniac

Using the design of the Do335 - maybe stretch the fuselage to accommodate the rear engine - the extended fuselage also makes room of more fuel cells - yeah okay - but the longer fuselage also could accommodate a tri-axile undercart to keep the rear prop off the ground

just a suggestion

nice project and I look forward to seeing more pics of the progress cheers

Bernie