P-47 Question

Started by KJ_Lesnick, January 19, 2014, 11:54:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KJ_Lesnick

Did the P-47 have dive brakes or just dive flaps?
That being said, I'd like to remind everybody in a manner reminiscent of the SNL bit on Julian Assange, that no matter how I die: It was murder (even if there was a suicide note or a video of me peacefully dying in my sleep); should I be framed for a criminal offense or disappear, you know to blame.

dogsbody

Not dive brakes. The small flaps on the underside of the wings on late " D " models and later marks were to limit the rapid speed build-up in a dive, preventing the entry into an uncontrollable compressibility dive.

Sorry for the long running sentence.

Chris
"What young man could possibly be bored
with a uniform to wear,
a fast aeroplane to fly,
and something to shoot at?"

KJ_Lesnick

dogsbody

QuoteNot dive brakes. The small flaps on the underside of the wings on late " D " models and later marks were to limit the rapid speed build-up in a dive, preventing the entry into an uncontrollable compressibility dive.
Do you mean to help get it out of the dive (those are called dive-flaps)?  What you are describing sounds like a speedbrake...
That being said, I'd like to remind everybody in a manner reminiscent of the SNL bit on Julian Assange, that no matter how I die: It was murder (even if there was a suicide note or a video of me peacefully dying in my sleep); should I be framed for a criminal offense or disappear, you know to blame.

dogsbody

Basically, yes, a speed brake. It was deployed before entering a dive or just after entry, to delay the onset of compressibility.

http://rwebs.net/avhistory/history/p-47.htm

Chris
"What young man could possibly be bored
with a uniform to wear,
a fast aeroplane to fly,
and something to shoot at?"

KJ_Lesnick

Were they stable in 60 degree dive-bombing attacks, or did they use shallower attacks?