Spitfire with 2 Griffons (push/pull) finally finished

Started by TallEng, January 20, 2014, 01:39:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tophe

[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

Captain Canada

Looks a lot like a Firefly in that first shot with the modified canopy ! Nice.

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

kerick

Quote from: TallEng on March 12, 2014, 09:01:20 AM
Now before Tophe gets too excited   :lol: I should mention that
The tank under the Starboard wing will be joined by one under the Port
Wing (when I find it ;))

Regards
Keith

Good hunting! I've been watching this project and it looks great. I may have mentioned this tempts me to try it with Mustangs.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

TallEng

SwiftFire point Air Defense Fighter
During the Battle of Britain, Chain Home stations — most notably the one at Ventnor, Isle of Wight — were attacked several times between 12 and 18 August 1940. On one occasion a section of the radar chain in Kent, including the Dover CH, was put out of action by a lucky hit on the power grid. Because the signals were soon restored, the Luftwaffe concluded the stations were too difficult to damage by bombing and left them alone for the remainder of the war. Had the Luftwaffe realised just how essential the radar stations were to British air defences, it is likely that they would have expended greater effort to destroy them. However these incidents were taken very seriously by the British, as the possibility that the radars could be knocked out would mean very little warning of an incoming raid.
It was with this in mind that a specification was issued for a fast climbing interceptor able to intercept the Bombers before they crossed the Coast.
The SwiftFire was Supermarines answer. Development started in late September but the project was fraught with difficulties. By the time Supermarine had sorted out the weight, cooling and other problems the need for the aircraft had all but disappeared. In a final attempt to interest the Air Ministry in the Aircraft, Supermarine re-designed the Airframe to accept two Rolls-Royce Griffon power plants and cameras in an effort to produce a rival for the PR Mosquitos. The Air Ministry were at the time looking for possible replacements for the Mosquitos operating in the Far East which were suffering problems with the glue disbonding, causing structural failure. It is believed about 17 SwiftFire PR 5's were produced before production was terminated due to the end of the war.
SwiftFire PS388 "R" served with the photographic development unit at Benson.
Late in 1946 she returned to The Supermarine works for overhaul. It was here that the idea came about to enter the Aircraft for the Kings cup Air race, and if that proved successful, of making an attempt on the piston engined worlds speed record, it was to this end that she received her highly polished dark Green paint work...

Regards
Keith
The British have raised their security level from "Miffed" to "Peeved". Soon though, security levels may be raised yet again to "Irritated" or even "A Bit Cross". Londoners have not been "A Bit Cross" since the Blitz in 1940 when tea supplies ran out for three weeks

Captain Canada

Very nice !

Love the colour, and the coming/ going spinner colours ! The second pic does it for me. Really shows off the lines. I can imagine it in the air in that pic as well. Lovely !

Great job on this one.

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Tophe

[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

kerick

Awesome! Now I have to do that with a pair of Mustangs!
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

dumaniac

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

kerick

With two sets of wings I could make some strategic cuts and give it 8 guns.
Tophe the Wise

PR19_Kit

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

eatthis

that looks  :wub:

you HAVE to race against mine with it  :cheers:
custom made pc desks built to order (including pc inside the the desk)

https://www.etsy.com/uk/your/listings?ref=si_your_shop

http://tinypic.com/m/hx3lmq/3

Weaver

Nicely done!  :thumbsup:

Not at all an easy project with the tapers of all the different fuselage sections being at odds, but you've done a very nice job of blending them all in.

The size comparison with the Do335 is interesting isn't it? I had it in mind to do a British push-pull aircraft, but mine would be based on the Firefly airframe, so it would be a "heavy", more akin to the Pfeil.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Spey_Phantom

on the bench:

-all kinds of things.