Spitfire with 2 Griffons (push/pull) finally finished

Started by TallEng, January 20, 2014, 01:39:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Canada

Sure Thing ? You bet ! Sure Fire ! Oh ya !

My only complaint with it is the P-51 style elevators.....just don't look 'Spitfire' enough to me.

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Old Wombat

Thanks, guys! :thumbsup:

CC, the elevators are the 2nd choice, I tried the Spitfire units & they looked absurdly small. However, I may try to modify them a bit so they look more Supermarine-ish.

Guy
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

TallEng

Quote from: Old Wombat on February 13, 2014, 01:19:41 AM
Thanks, guys! :thumbsup:

CC, the elevators are the 2nd choice, I tried the Spitfire units & they looked absurdly small. However, I may try to modify them a bit so they look more Supermarine-ish.

That's a problem I found too!
so I used the tailplanes from a Handy F.22 ;D
Which I suppose you could scratch/bodge from plastikard

Regards
Keith
The British have raised their security level from "Miffed" to "Peeved". Soon though, security levels may be raised yet again to "Irritated" or even "A Bit Cross". Londoners have not been "A Bit Cross" since the Blitz in 1940 when tea supplies ran out for three weeks

TallEng

Right, spurred on by Old Wombats Landing gear :blink:
I've decided that my SwiftFire needs an undercarriage.
So TallEng(ineering) supported by BluTac proudly present
The SwiftFire on its (provisional) legs ;D

That plastic looking bloke blutacked to the plans is for a sense of scale.
As ever thoughts, comments etc great fully received .

Regards
Keith
The British have raised their security level from "Miffed" to "Peeved". Soon though, security levels may be raised yet again to "Irritated" or even "A Bit Cross". Londoners have not been "A Bit Cross" since the Blitz in 1940 when tea supplies ran out for three weeks

kerick

Keep rolling my friend, this looks great!
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Captain Canada

We only want it rolling long enough to get airborne  :thumbsup:

Looking good ! Love the stance....looks like shes ready to fight !

:tornado:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Army of One

Looking good there.........can't wait to see it painted...... :thumbsup:
BODY,BODY....HEAD..!!!!

IF YER HIT, YER DEAD!!!!

CSMO

It looks like a Napier Heston on steroids. It is turning out pretty cool!   Adios, Larry.
"Field Artillery brings dignity to what otherwise would be merely a vulgar brawl."

TallEng

Last update for a couple of days as I start nightshift :rolleyes:

So....
Tail wheel courtesy of an old Airfix Hawk T.1 nose leg.

I've faired it in scince the photo. (You can also see the cracked wing fairing caused by too vigorous excavation of the main U/C bays :rolleyes:)

Next up I've made and boxed in (a first for me) the main undercarriage bays

They're a little bit rough  :blink: but I can live with that, also included a MK. 1/2 Spitfire for comparison.
And lastly a group photo with my other current builds, the Mk I/II and Mk.22 Spitfire and at the back the SwiftFire

Note also that TallEng(ineering has temporarily re-located to the Kitchen table as the Dining table was wanted for dining!!!
I'll have to be thinking of a colour scheme next :unsure:

Regards
Keith

Captain Canada

Looking good ! Nice to see the new tail wheel.

:tornado:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

kerick

If you take that Swiftfire to a model show I want to be there to watch some folks lose their minds! :blink:
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Old Wombat

That Mk.I/II looks almost USAAF in that paint, so far.

Can't wait to see the Swiftfire finished! :thumbsup:

Guy

TallEng

Just recently life, work, overtime, gardening etc etc have been getting in the way of more important
Matters, so progress on the SwiftFirehas been anything but swift.... :banghead:
However a small update can be offered; :rolleyes:
Camouflage/colour scheme.

An attempt at an experimental colour I wanted to call Medium PRU Blue, but it's not quite what I had in mind :blink: I might try another mix. what I really wanted was a lighter bluer and greyer colour, and not something that reminds me of old Morris Minors. ;D
Then a small disaster :banghead: I needed to raise the fairing behind the cockpit to match the rear part of the cockpit, so canopy masked off, putty applied and dried , sanded to shape, remove masking tape and....
Oh dear I thought (possibly) the putty had somehow got under the tape and fogged/etched the clear plastic :banghead:, well I tried polishing etc but the marks are quite deep and not having a spare canopy meant a bit of lateral thinking was required. Now the SwiftFire was always going to be a bit short on fuel; two Griffons and the same fuel as an PR XIX must equal half the range, (back of an envelope calculation) so the area behind the canopy is now an extra fuel tank :thumbsup:

And speaking of extra fuel, here's a thought for more. (New canopy fairing in progress)

And lastly a size comparison with a Pfeil

Well that's it for the moment, comments etc appreciated

Regards
Keith

Old Wombat

Well, I like it! Very cool! :mellow:

Like the colour, too, but I think I can see what you were trying to achieve & I'm pretty sure I'd like that, too.

Fuel + 2x Griffons is a problem & is one of the reasons I left the Surefire so long in the nose (extra tankage), I also put the drop-tanks on after the last photo's (Al Zeimer's at work again), so your reasoning for the canopy fix is good. So's that ginormous tank under the starboard wing. :thumbsup:

Guy

TallEng

Now before Tophe gets too excited   :lol: I should mention that
The tank under the Starboard wing will be joined by one under the Port
Wing (when I find it ;))

Regards
Keith