Dart Wellington and Tay Viscount

Started by Aircav, January 21, 2014, 02:38:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aircav

Hi'
Does anyone have the following please?

A low angle shot of the engine nacelle and main undercarriage bay of the Dart powered Wellington, LN715, plus does anyone know what the main undercarriage of the Tay powered Viscount, XV217 was from or was it specially designed for that particular aircraft?.
Many thanks
Steve
"Subvert and convert" By Me  :-)

"Sophistication means complication, then escallation, cancellation and finally ruination."
Sir Sydney Camm

"Men do not stop playing because they grow old, they grow old because they stop playing" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Vertical Airscrew SIG Leader

Captain Canada

Not me....sorry...but thanks for pointing me in the direction to see that Wellington ! Off to Google we go !

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

PR19_Kit

I think you mean VX217, don't you? XV217 was a Herk.

AFAIK the Tay Viscount did have unique main landing gear legs. They were four individual legs and retracted either side of the jet pipe.

Not a clue about the Dart Wellington, but the Dart's exhaust was well forward do I'd imagine the gear would have been as normal.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

kitnut617

Quote from: Aircav on January 21, 2014, 02:38:11 AM
plus does anyone know what the main undercarriage of the Tay powered Viscount, VX217 was from or was it specially designed for that particular aircraft?.
Many thanks
Steve

There's a photo in this wiki article

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vickers_Viscount
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Aircav

Your right Kit, it is VX217 I ment and so far this is the only photo of the wellington I could find.

"Sophistication means complication, then escallation, cancellation and finally ruination."
Sir Sydney Camm

"Men do not stop playing because they grow old, they grow old because they stop playing" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Rheged

Are you planning to move on from these to the Nene Viking and Ashton?
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

jcf

Just this poor pic from the Putnam on Vickers:

The undercarriage appears to be in the normal location.

Aircav

Quote from: Rheged on January 21, 2014, 02:56:55 PM
Are you planning to move on from these to the Nene Viking and Ashton?

Not thought that far ahead yet.  ;) ;D

The photo is a great help Jon, many thanks.  :thumbsup:

Sir Sydney Camm

kitnut617

I've seen some other photos of LN715 somewhere but this one was the easiest to find.  Top pic actually shows how the nacelle was converted on Wellington NA857 for the Napier Naiad turbo-prop but should give an idea that the u/c was the standard gear.

Bottom pic is another view of LN715 in flight, you can just make out where the exhaust exited.

Photos came from the Winter Issue, December 2010 of Air-Britain's Aeromilitaria.

Sorry about the quality, it's kinda early and I've not had enough coffee ---  ;D

This might be a bit better.
EDIT:

Erm! maybe not ---- more coffee ---  :banghead: :banghead:

OK, try this;

If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Aircav

Hmm, I getting a better idea of how the nacelle looked, many thanks  ;D
Steve

Sir Sydney Camm