Librarian's Banana

Started by Librarian, January 22, 2014, 11:04:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Librarian

I'm just about ready to start whiffing again, but I've encountered a slight impasse. I have a Gunship idea I'd like to get on with whilst at the same time I have an A-26 Invader screaming at me. As I want to concentrate on a Whiffy Vietnam the A-26 bothers me as it's been done to death....but I would like to do it. I want to keep the glass nose, remove the turrets and On-Mark the wings, cowlings and bomb bay. She'll probably be Marines green/grey.

The Gunship/Spectre will be based around the Grumman Tracker but this time in the light grey early 'Nam camo with oodles of upper surface white.

I'm also in the proces of re-vamping the U-2/Skyraider I built last year. Lots of issues were bothering me so I've bitten the bullet and stripped her down for major overhaul. She'll also end up 'Nam based.

Just been through a living hell...painting my daughter's bedroom PINK :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:. Quite honestly not just a horrible colour but one that requires a minimum of three good coats of paint before its acceptable.

Updates on the Whiffs as and when.... :thumbsup:.

kerick

A-26 gunship with guns mounted through out the fuselage? Just a thought....
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

pyro-manic

What about hanging some night-ops stuff on it, like the big chin pods the Tropic Moon B-57Gs had? Or maybe a truck-hunter interdictor version with the 20mm turret?

Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

Devilfish

Fit the A-26 with turbo-props for starters....

Dizzyfugu

Quote from: Librarian on January 22, 2014, 11:04:51 AM
Just been through a living hell...painting my daughter's bedroom PINK :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:. Quite honestly not just a horrible colour but one that requires a minimum of three good coats of paint before its acceptable.

Maybe some Desert Pink would have been more suitable... ensuring a subtle influence of the Dark Side of the whiffing hobby  :wacko:

Librarian

Quote from: kerick on January 22, 2014, 04:25:35 PM
A-26 gunship with guns mounted through out the fuselage? Just a thought....
I considered the A-26 Gunship but the problem would be the notoriously poor visibility sideways from the cockpit...I vaguely remember reading Kenney's account and why he tried very hard to refuse the Invader to get more Havocs, visibility being one of many reasons.
Quote from: pyro-manic on January 22, 2014, 11:11:41 PM
What about hanging some night-ops stuff on it, like the big chin pods the Tropic Moon B-57Gs had? Or maybe a truck-hunter interdictor version with the 20mm turret?

I do have the Airfix B-57 kit in the stash with all those luverley chin pods etc....very nice. Is that a traversable gun turret under the fuselage? It's something I've planned for the Tracker.
Quote from: Devilfish on January 22, 2014, 11:23:37 PM
Fit the A-26 with turbo-props for starters....
Turboprops would be fun but I want to keep the conversion as simple and cheap as possible.I've regained mojo but not to the extent I used to have it.
Quote from: Dizzyfugu on January 22, 2014, 11:50:03 PM
Quote from: Librarian on January 22, 2014, 11:04:51 AM

Maybe some Desert Pink would have been more suitable... ensuring a subtle influence of the Dark Side of the whiffing hobby  :wacko:
I've always thought that some IL-2 whifff would look good in Desert Pink as tank busters, with RAF markings. Got a two and a one seater in the stash. Would also make a very acceptable floatplane conversion.
Many thanks for the input :thumbsup:.

PR19_Kit

I once re-decorated the lounge of one house in the WWII USN tri-blue scheme, dark blue up near the ceiling fading to almost white as it reached waist level. The dining room was done in IJN bomber scheme too, dark green over orange.  ;D

The then Mrs_PR19 didn't approve all that much, perhaps that's why she's an ex-Mrs_PR19......  ;)
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Librarian

One summer, whilst the wife was esconced in Leicester with her sister, I painted the shed in late war King Tiger camo. I loved it, the kids loved it, the wife didn't. Now its all green ;D.

Mortal Wombat

Quote from: Librarian on January 23, 2014, 05:30:55 AM
One summer, whilst the wife was esconced in Leicester with her sister, I painted the shed in late war King Tiger camo. I loved it, the kids loved it, the wife didn't. Now its all green ;D.

Gentlemen, I've just bought a house on my own. You have just inspired me to greatness. Thank you so much!
Like I said last time, it won't happen again...

Captain Canada

I love these ideas.....no bother about the A-26 being done to death...yours is still yours !

And really looking forward to seeing the Tracker, one of my favourite aeroplanes !

:cheers: :tornado: :wub:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Captain Canada

Oh, and on the 'threadjacking' part of this thread, I once had the makings of a WWII Kreigsmarine flag on the roof of my old pick up. People didn't know what to think so I stopped it.

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

pyro-manic

Quote from: Librarian on January 23, 2014, 02:14:27 AM
I do have the Airfix B-57 kit in the stash with all those luverley chin pods etc....very nice. Is that a traversable gun turret under the fuselage? It's something I've planned for the Tracker.

Yep, M61 Vulcan. Only experimental, I think, but still pretty cool. There's a nice cheesy video on Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMnbrXw1wSs
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

kerick

If its close to OD green just paint big white stars on the sides.....
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Librarian

Quote from: kerick on January 23, 2014, 10:30:37 AM

If its close to OD green just paint big white stars on the sides.....

I've heard of having a 'Sherman' in a shed..... ;) ;D.

Making some headway with the AS-2 Thwacker gunship. Have to say that the Kinetic/Italeri kit is pretty basic, and not the best fit either. Already has some flash on the molds. Might have to do some serious scratchbuilding with the interior, which is non-existant, and detailing of the cockpit, which is very sparse. I'll post some piccies tomorrow...eeeyakaboo, the Lurgi has also landed :banghead:.

Librarian

After all that painting stress and a nightmare including pink tigers (honest) I've caught a nasty dose of something, but put some effort into the kit:

Glued in, filled and sanded the weapons bay as this a/c didn't have one. Where the ASW dome? was I took the blanking plate, cut out a large hole in the centre and fitted a turret with a minigun. Spent ages going through the spares box but most turrets have two apertures which I didn't want. Then joy, found a nice single ap. turret...where from I know not but it looks the biz. Drilled out four small and two large holes for the miniguns and 37mm cannon fairings. Added some lumps and bumps along with a FLIR turret to give a purposeful look. Have to put some serious thought into detailing the forward interior or just put a door where the cockpit entrance is. Laziness or inspiration...hmmmmm :-\.