Librarian's Banana

Started by Librarian, January 22, 2014, 11:04:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Librarian

And here she finally is, The Amalgamated PAT-12 Catfish, having flown across the sitting room once and ended up in the bin twice. The last time I retrieved her from a black bag just minutes before the refuse truck turned up. Cutting and sanding the canopy and fuselage at the same time to obtain a fit was the hardest part by far; must have cut, sanded and test fitted 80 odd times. Then the next nasty bit was removing the original wing support, finding a wing thick enough, fitting the two upper halves together for symmetry, cutting and sanding a perfect fitting opening to slot the wing in then cutting and sanding the correct section for the wing to sit on......two visits to the bin bag :banghead:. After all that she went together quite quickly, allowing some fun with paint schemes and weapon fit. She's seen at a display of current aircraft with an atypical loadout for demo purposes. each nacelle weapon bay can carry a variety of anti-shipping munitions but in this case the port bay has a 1000lb depth charge, whilst the starboard is closed with a torpedo shaackle fitter (like Marauders and Mitchells had). Outer hardpoints carry short range torpedoes and barrel charges. A 'borrowed' GPE pod with AF colours as due to a technical malfunction during a squadron-wide test earlier had seen two thirds of their GPE pods jettisoned into the Bitterzee Lake :rolleyes:.

PR19_Kit

WHAT is that????  :o :o

I'd certainly hate it to come across me if I was a submarine on the surface one dark night!

The lower hull seems to be a Catalina, and maybe the wing too, but everything else is Whiffgeneered to the max. A super job, whatever it is.  :thumbsup: :bow:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Tophe

:wub: Yes, many congratulations!
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

Captain Canada

Now that is nice. A perfect whiff. Love all the lumps and bumps and especially the weapon fit. So glad you got to the curb before the bin man !

Excellent whif.

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

lancer

That is blooody awsome!!!
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Librarian

Thanks for all kind comments. Still have to varnish (HATE!) and I might put some sway braces on the large torpedo.

The entire wing/engine nacelles is from a Kinetic Tracker that I gave up on. Like a clunky Matchbox kit with worse fit. The wing support is composed of the upper halves of a Do335 wing, left over when I cut a project from three aircraft to two....a very useful source of spare parts so far. Canopy from a Mosquito and the tail from the TU-2 which is getting something else; I had to do it to stop myself making a REAL :banghead: aircraft.

Next up is a simple fighter floatplane and then something interesting with an AN-2 floatplane, then back to wheels.

This time I'll post photos as I go along as for the entire build of Catalina my camera had gone walkabout.

Librarian

OK, AN-2 on backburner until I cannot afford a certain something but these are up next. Always wanted to amphibianate a TA-152 so started on that. Probably been done a hundred times but I want to ;D.

Also started putting together my DO-335 version of an A-10....this is going to be fun:

Anyone know where to get 1/48 (approx.) rowing boats?

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Librarian on January 24, 2015, 08:21:53 AM
Anyone know where to get 1/48 (approx.) rowing boats?

Try '0' gauge model railway scenery accessories, that's a close match in scale.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Captain Canada

Hey, might have been done before but we're always up for a good ol' fashioned amphibionation around here !

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Old Wombat

Quote from: Captain Canada on January 24, 2015, 10:02:10 AM
Hey, might have been done before but we're always up for a good ol' fashioned amphibionation around here !

Absolutely! :thumbsup:

Any old cut-price princess can turn a frog into a prince - it takes real skill to turn a prince into a frog! :cheers:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Librarian

...and a little work done on my A-Fighter series:

DogfighterZen

What's that on the left? Me-262/mustang type thing?  :unsure:
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

DogfighterZen

Quote from: Flyer on January 30, 2015, 05:20:42 PM
Quote from: DogfighterZen on January 30, 2015, 03:07:47 PM
What's that on the left? Me-262/mustang type thing?  :unsure:
Looks like a re-winged P-39. They all look great, I really like the twin fin 335 :thumbsup: :cheers:
yep, p-39 it is, took a closer look.  :thumbsup:
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

Captain Canada

Beauty ! Big aeroplanes eh ?

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?