Librarian's Banana

Started by Librarian, January 22, 2014, 11:04:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NARSES2

Quote from: Librarian on October 22, 2016, 05:18:15 PM
Mate, I gave up on the whole airbrush think ages back. Just TOOO much hassle ;D.

There's that thread running on how you know you're getting old...weeeell, I'm going to add forgetting which paints you've bought. I was digging about in the shed and pulled out my tray of unused paint tins and lo and behold a whole bunch of virgin Japanese paint tins from White Ensign. Mitsubishi cowl blue-black, Mitsubishi navy green and undersurface grey-green being amongst them so YAY!! no arduous paint mixing to do. There's aotake too but really gone off that whole can of worms...stick to natural metal probably. Humbrol 160 is an almost perfect match for 'propeller colour' as Hasegawa keep naming it so no probs there either.

I'll try and post some pictures soon...photobucket is a PAIN!

I love White Ensign paints, always use them on my Japanese builds. There is just something about Aotake  ;D

Had the same problem with Photobucket as their adverts were making it almost unusable. Now pay $9 whatever a year to go ad free and it's absolutely fine  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Librarian

Quote from: NARSES2 on October 23, 2016, 06:36:40 AM

I love White Ensign paints, always use them on my Japanese builds. There is just something about Aotake  ;D

This is going to be a real paint whif...Nakajima green cockpit, blue-black cowl, Kawanishi green uppers, possibly NM unders (late war Japanese a/c seem to have gone that route) but I have to admit that Aotake is very tempting for the flaps and wheel-wells...going to need all the visual help I can get to give her that Japanese look. I've had some fun splitting the flaps a la Kawanishi sooooo...

NARSES2

Late War Japanese can use any paint you fancy. You could even use stuff captured in the glory years and make a plausible excuse. I think Aotake was purely a naval colour but I'm not 100% sure
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Librarian

Sometimes I miss the full on ding dongs that raged across the ether about IJN/IJA colours. Aotake and Ameiro....think Reformation, bonfires at dawn etc. One of the most interesting debates I fully immersed myself in were those late war IJN paints, especially the Aichi B7A. Last I heard the general consensus was several shades of green in the cockpit (with some Aotake) and a very dark green like RLM70 upper with NM lower. Lost touch now...maybe I'll look back into it ;D. There's a very nice Shigeo Koike painting depicting colours along those lines:

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/b0/72/93/b0729399ca39e2f3f6d164dbd70bf617.jpg

Librarian

As promised, some update photos. Starting to look a little bit like a D3A on Wiggins' little helpers:

and the cockpit. Something like 20-25 pieces went into its construction...had a lot of fun with spare radios, boxes, flooring etc. Getting it into the fuselage took forever...test-fit, cut/sand, test-fit, repeat etc:

Currently putting on first coat of Mitsubishi Green...glorious colour, so rich. Just a tad better than Kawanishi Green.

Old Wombat

Just changing the canopy actually gives it a distinctly Japanese appearance. :thumbsup:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

AXU

NARSES2

Now that's looking good  :thumbsup:

TheChronicOne

Woooo!!   That's looking good. Great work, bud!  Clean.  :mellow:
-Sprues McDuck-

Librarian

Almost there...not the easiest build but most enjoyable...just the varnish to go on:

and these are up next...something really simple in a whif markings only:

AXU

What a beast...and looks right with hinomaru on it, :thumbsup: well done !!! 

TheChronicOne

Mahhhhhvelous, just Mahhhvelous.   :mellow:

Great job, bud!
-Sprues McDuck-

Old Wombat

Freaky how Japanese it looks! :blink:

Brilliant job, mate! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Quote from: TheChronicOne on October 29, 2016, 04:48:39 PM
Mahhhhhvelous, just Mahhhvelous.   :mellow:

You're not a closet cricket fan, are you, Brad? :unsure:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

NARSES2

Absolutely brilliant  :bow: and so Japanese. Would never have guessed she'd have got twin torpedoes.

Glad you went with the Aotake  ;D

Librarian

Quote from: NARSES2 on October 30, 2016, 02:07:56 AM
Absolutely brilliant  :bow: and so Japanese. Would never have guessed she'd have got twin torpedoes.

Glad you went with the Aotake  ;D

You were right...there is just something about Aotake. Very pleasing to the eye.

Sadly I did have underwing airbrakes and bombs with a scratchbuilt trapeze ready to go but went torp at the last moment. I have an idea for a dedicated divebomber with another kit so they won't go to waste.