Librarian's Banana

Started by Librarian, January 22, 2014, 11:04:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Wombat

:banghead: :banghead: Just as I start getting interested!  :banghead: :banghead:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

TheChronicOne

Quote from: Librarian on December 15, 2016, 03:28:49 AM
I'm striking this build...just can't get any enthusiasm for it. Seem to be going through a radial phase at present but I've decided to take a break. Swore I wasn't going to do any excessive cutting and sanding projects but I've gone that way again :banghead:. Just want to build a model and paint it whif. Anyway, I'll see what the new year brings and in the meantime catch up on my reading ;D.
Aw rats!  Oh well, if you ain't "feelin' it" then no biggy! I imagine this isn't the last we've heard of this build.. . . . .

Enjoy your reading. I've been having thoughts of picking up my last started book again. I last read from it around 12 months ago. Ringworld by Larry Niven. I was just getting to one of the good parts, too!
-Sprues McDuck-

kerick

" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

TheChronicOne

I think so too! I've really liked what I've read so far. Sci Fi can either be done well, or terribly, in my mind, and Niven is doing well with me for sure!

I last left off after they had their first conflict something or other on the inner surface of the ring. The group had to flee in a hurry if I remember right. I plan to go back a chapter or few when I start reading again because some of this stuff is mushy because I was distracted too much as I read. 

I know there was one sequel.....   how many others has he written in the "Ringworld Universe?" 
-Sprues McDuck-

Librarian

Haven't read it for many years but recall genius...vaguely recall similarities with "Strata" (Pratchett). Been on a crime/thriller binge recently...some very good new authors out there.

Many apologies about the MB.6...I think one of the issues was that the rear looked too P-51. The rear fuselage needed to be a bit deeper. I'll have a good think about it whilst considering what General Manfred von Richthofen would have been flying if the war had continued well into the 1920s ;D

TheChronicOne

Yeeeeah buddy, I like the sound of that.  :D
-Sprues McDuck-

Librarian

Quote from: Librarian on December 15, 2016, 10:38:16 AM
Haven't read it for many years but recall genius...vaguely recall similarities with "Strata" (Pratchett). Been on a crime/thriller binge recently...some very good new authors out there.

...although it could be "Rendezvous with Rama" I'm thinking about. Too many books, too much age and not enough leetle grey cells left :banghead:

Steel Penguin

Chronic   ring world,  ring world engineers ,  ring world throne,  ringworlds children,  ( didn't know  the 4th one was written  ohh!)    and may be mentioned in the man- kizin wars stuff.

and if anyone has a copy of the RPG and supplements id love a read,  im guessing its Chaosiums standard D100 system, but I wants to thieve the ideas.

the things you learn, give your mind the wings to fly, and the chains to hold yourself steady
take off and nuke the site form orbit, nope, time for the real thing, CAM and gridfire, call special circumstances. 
wow, its like freefalling into the Geofront
Not a member of the Hufflepuff conspiracy!

TheChronicOne

Thank ya kindly. :D Just about right number of books-- I can't stand when a series is 136 books long and also don't want to stop at just one.
-Sprues McDuck-

zenrat

There are also 5 Ringworld prequel books.
Betrayer of Worlds, Destroyer of Worlds, Fate of Worlds, Fleet of Worlds and Juggler of Worlds.
I have them and the 4 Ringworld in a folder to e-read at some point.

I know what you mean about long series Brad.  They are OK if you get in at or near the beginning but it's hard to justify buying all the books to catch up if you come in late.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

TheChronicOne

Ohhh you don't say! Cool. I bet if I bide my time I could get the whole lot off ebay at some point. I  might ought to just start over with the prequels and work my way back to Ringworld then the sequels. I really need to take my copy back to the library, as a matter of fact. I don't remember how but I wound up with it but didn't check it out. I guess I "stole" it on accident some day that I was chillin' at the library.  :o ;D

Anyway. I had been fascinated with the "idea" ever since I saw the Star Trek TNG Episode with Scotty where they encounter a Dyson's Sphere. A Dyson's Sphere is good but a Ringworld makes a LOT more sense realistically.
-Sprues McDuck-

zenrat

That would be "Relics".
A good episode.

If you like reading about Spheres and Rings and other BIG space stuff check out some Iain M Banks.  Start at the beginning with Consider Phlebus.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Rick Lowe

Yeah, 'Relics' was one of the better ones, with some really nice nods to TOS.

There was a sequence of 'Schlock Mercenary' where the crew came upon a sorta-Dyson Sphere, but this was a series of habitats linked together by solar-sail type material.
I'm of the opinion that this makes a lot of sense, in that you're not having to find an Earth-orbit-size amount of solid material for your construct...

scooter

Quote from: TheChronicOne on December 16, 2016, 04:45:25 PM
Anyway. I had been fascinated with the "idea" ever since I saw the Star Trek TNG Episode with Scotty where they encounter a Dyson's Sphere. A Dyson's Sphere is good but a Ringworld makes a LOT more sense realistically.

*snickers* My Star Trek sim group (we're part of probably one of the last text based OLPRG groups left, and official from CBS) just finished up a visit to a ringworld.
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

Librarian

Methinks there's some Trekkie revenge being enacted on my blog ;D.

Anyhow, I'm back on track with an earlier idea involving updating/modernising an I-16...undercarriage, cowling. Quite a lot of plasticard cutting, shaping, filling and sanding but starting to look good. Wife wants the laptop.... :banghead: