F-108 Rapier Question

Started by KJ_Lesnick, January 27, 2014, 08:42:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KJ_Lesnick

Martinbayer

Is there any way to make guesstimates based on known thrust figures and engine capabilities?

That being said, I'd like to remind everybody in a manner reminiscent of the SNL bit on Julian Assange, that no matter how I die: It was murder (even if there was a suicide note or a video of me peacefully dying in my sleep); should I be framed for a criminal offense or disappear, you know to blame.

martinbayer

Quote from: KJ_Lesnick on June 01, 2014, 05:23:36 PM
Is there any way to make guesstimates based on known thrust figures and engine capabilities?

Depends on what variables you have to work with, like engine thrust and fuel flow. I'd recommend to start by doing a search for "specific fuel consumption" for the engine(s) you're interested in. For example, YJ93 values are given here (although it doesn't provide the corresponding flight speed, since SFC is typically a function of velocity): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Electric_YJ93

Martin
Would be marching to the beat of his own drum, if he didn't detest marching to any drumbeat at all so much.

McColm

Wow, that was a deep debate. What was the conclusion?

martinbayer

Good question. Maybe KJ is still working out the math.

Martin
Would be marching to the beat of his own drum, if he didn't detest marching to any drumbeat at all so much.

KJ_Lesnick

There are variables I cannot account for... I can make up stuff (I'd probably use the J79 as a reference point)
That being said, I'd like to remind everybody in a manner reminiscent of the SNL bit on Julian Assange, that no matter how I die: It was murder (even if there was a suicide note or a video of me peacefully dying in my sleep); should I be framed for a criminal offense or disappear, you know to blame.