Irish Air Corps Whiffs

Started by nighthunter, February 03, 2014, 11:14:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nighthunter

Quote from: major on February 09, 2014, 05:03:58 PM
Quote from: nighthunter on February 09, 2014, 11:18:00 AM
That would be feasible, then again, I would need a lot more IAC roundels and a few more dollars to put into my modeling budget for a Sea Harrier or two... I would actually be willing to trade kits to use a Sea Harrier version as the FSR.2, Wouldn't be the first time the IAC operated a Naval aircraft in the land based role... ie the Seafires...

Budget cuts in our little castle has curtailed the illicit styrene fondling!
Apparently, food and bills are far more important. We've a lot of mouths to feed.
Having to look into alternative, ie free, unwanted household items, the bin, etc, materials.
So says the waged one in the house! :bow:
Cheers... Ray
Ray, good translation :P
"Mind that bus." "What bus?" *SPLAT!*

nighthunter

Anywho, work has started on the Harrier, new nose included. Once work has actually progressed, pictures will be taken.

nighthunter

Well, I now find myself in possession of a FRS1 kit, courtesy of my nephew. So that will be the Irish Harrier and I'm thinking of making my F-82 an IAC aircraft as well. or the F-8 or the F-20... Probably not the F-20, but the Mirage III isn't out of the running either. Point is, the Sea Harrier is definitely becoming and IAC Harrier.

Captain Canada

So now you have two harriers ? Double score !

:tornado:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

nighthunter

Hey, Cap, got any RCAF decals you'd be willing to give up for my Canadair Harrier GR.1+ ?

Captain Canada

For sure ! What are you looking for ?

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

major

Nighthunter, you still looking for IAC roundels?

Weaver

Nice one, or rather, nice two. :thumbsup:

Assuming that Ireland's Harriers are second-hand, you could give them both FRS.1s and GR.3s, since the two actually complement each other nicely. FRS.1s can do fighter cover (and anti-ship if needed), but they havn't got the GR.3's LRMTS, which is damned handy for precise CAS work, and AFAIK, they arn't wired for recce pods like the GR.3 is either.

As far as practicalities go, you could say that when the RAF gets it's GR.5s, they sell a load of GR.3s to Ireland at a knock-down price, two-thirds of which are canibalised to keep the rest flying for years. For the SHARs, you could say that the MoD buys more new F/A.2s and re-builds fewer FRS.1s so that some of the latter can be donated to Ireland in return for their peace-keeping efforts. This kind of tit-for-tat aid has real life precedents: for instance, Finland has bought more SISU 6x6 APCs than it needs so that it can "loan" them to Irish troops on UN missions, since Finland is prevented by post WWII treaties from sending it's own troops abroad.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

nighthunter

Quote from: major on April 17, 2014, 04:07:00 PM
Nighthunter, you still looking for IAC roundels?
Always need more, lol, and fin flashes!

nighthunter

Quote from: Weaver on April 17, 2014, 04:26:55 PM
Nice one, or rather, nice two. :thumbsup:

Assuming that Ireland's Harriers are second-hand, you could give them both FRS.1s and GR.3s, since the two actually complement each other nicely. FRS.1s can do fighter cover (and anti-ship if needed), but they havn't got the GR.3's LRMTS, which is damned handy for precise CAS work, and AFAIK, they arn't wired for recce pods like the GR.3 is either.

As far as practicalities go, you could say that when the RAF gets it's GR.5s, they sell a load of GR.3s to Ireland at a knock-down price, two-thirds of which are canibalised to keep the rest flying for years. For the SHARs, you could say that the MoD buys more new F/A.2s and re-builds fewer FRS.1s so that some of the latter can be donated to Ireland in return for their peace-keeping efforts. This kind of tit-for-tat aid has real life precedents: for instance, Finland has bought more SISU 6x6 APCs than it needs so that it can "loan" them to Irish troops on UN missions, since Finland is prevented by post WWII treaties from sending it's own troops abroad.
My thoughts exactly!

nighthunter

Work is now slowly progressing. Nose and cockpit done for SHar.

nighthunter

Quick question/poll, should the SHar be gray or green?

NARSES2

Got to be green if it's Irish  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Weaver

You could compromise and paint it Sky, i.e. the old underside shade used on FAA aircraft.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Captain Canada

Green for Irish, like Chris said !

:thumbsup:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?