Blohm+Voss BV P.195 ("Tophe won't like this...")

Started by Sticky Fingers, February 06, 2014, 06:38:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sticky Fingers

Dusk, 31-11-'46. Just a few more hours.

In the diminishing daylight the maintenance crew starts to prepare for work.

In Blohm & Voss terms this was a boring, almost straight forwards design, but perhaps their most succesfull.
It's a ground attack night fighter, armed with 4x MK103 30 mm cannons, 2x MG151 20mm and 1x modified Bordkanone BK 7,5.
It first saw service and action on the 31st of November 1946 when 5 Bv P195's dealt a heavy blow to Allied vehicles being loaded off LST's during the night following D-Day MkII.

Or not.
This is Revell (of Germany)'s 1/72 Blohm & Voss Bv P194, straightened out. It lost it's jet engine but gained some extra weapons, and a mid-fuselage, contra-rotating prop.

Despite loading all available space in the cockpit section and the front of the fuselage with lead weights it still sat firmly on it's tail, hence the weird looking main landing gear.
(Which I personally thing looks real good :mellow:)

Alas, still the nose wheel sits a few millimetres of the ground but it will be glued down once I've got all the stuff to make a small diorama around this plane. The complete nose wheel well was nicked from a Me 262, as were the main landing gear's wheels, and the rotating cowling around the props was made from a 1/24 Tamiya Volkswagen Beetle wheel rim (keeping things German, see?).

Exhausts now live where the tail wheel used to reside and were made from alluminium tubing. The gunpods under the wingroots were made from halves of a Me-109 droptank. Camo was thought up by myself, decals hand picked from the decal stash.

Hope you like  :smiley:

CSMO

Wicked good!. It looks like one that I saw in a comic book, years ago. Adios, Larry.
"Field Artillery brings dignity to what otherwise would be merely a vulgar brawl."

Dizzyfugu

Nice one! I also had the idea of creating a "normal" aircraft from the B+V - yours is really great and has many nice ideas to offer, like the propeller arrangement! The only drawback is that fitting the landing gear in any way is rather difficult...  :blink: Maybe putting the prop in front of the wing leading edge and moving the wings further back would have been "better"? But that's so easily said when you see the finished project. I think it's great, nevertheless!  :thumbsup:

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

springheel jack

That's nice. I bet that landing gear could soak up some rough ground
Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never

Churchill 1941

Sticky Fingers

Thanks for your comments, gents  :thumbsup:

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on February 06, 2014, 07:05:07 AM
Maybe putting the prop in front of the wing leading edge and moving the wings further back would have been "better"?

I played with that arrangement, but you'd end up with an almost BV P.192, and I thought the aesthetics of my design are rather better ;)

Tophe

Well, I dislike destroying asymmetry  :angry: while... I love unusual shape, and I love your model :wub:
May I photoshop it into a twin-boomer? ;)
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

Sticky Fingers

Hahaha thanks Tophe  ;D
QuoteMay I photoshop it into a twin-boomer? ;)
I was silently hoping you'd propose that, so yes, please, go for it :thumbsup:

TallEng

What a wonderful plane :thumbsup:
Did the bloke who designed that undercarriage go onto work at BAC on the TSR2?  :rolleyes:

Regards
Keith
The British have raised their security level from "Miffed" to "Peeved". Soon though, security levels may be raised yet again to "Irritated" or even "A Bit Cross". Londoners have not been "A Bit Cross" since the Blitz in 1940 when tea supplies ran out for three weeks

Librarian

Absolutely superb, just love that rear fuselage prop...brilliant :wub: :thumbsup:. Another on my hopes list in 1/48.

Captain Canada

That's awesome ! Love the colours...and the whole thing !

The landing gear is perfect for rough field landings in the dark....

:thumbsup:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Weaver

"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

PR19_Kit

What a fabulous looking model!  :thumbsup: :bow:

I love that 'mid-fuselage' prop idea but I've never seen it modelled before, terrific work.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

lancer

That is an amazing looking design and a fantastic model...I love it.
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

sandiego89

Wow, really great.  Especially like the main gear and the wing pods they retract into.  Radar? 
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA