Gloss Sea Blue

Started by NARSES2, February 11, 2014, 08:05:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NARSES2

I have a couple of projects in the pipeline that will be the classic USN Gloss Sea Blue overall. Easiest way to do this would be a spray can so does anyone know the appropriate Humbrol, Halfords or Tamiya colours ? They are probably the ones I can "easily" lay my hands on. I have looked but they all use slightly different names.

Thanks in advance

Chris
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Mossie

Humbrol 15 Midnight Blue is close Chris.  Not exact I think, but probably close enough and available in a spray.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

PR19_Kit

Halfords Rover Midnight Blue, at least it stands SOME chance of drying before the turn of the century, unlike Humbrol.....  :banghead:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Dizzyfugu

Quote from: Mossie on February 11, 2014, 08:30:21 AM
Humbrol 15 Midnight Blue is close Chris.  Not exact I think, but probably close enough and available in a spray.

NO! Go for 181, it's the original FS 15042 - but IIRC it is out of production. An alternative is Modelmaster 1717, it's also the authentic tone anhd very good - used it on my Sea Mustang Whif.

Humbrol 15 is IMHO way too... blue. FS 15042 has a subtle, greenish hue, pretty unique. Humbrol 15 looks more like a Blue Angels blue, IMHO too light and pale. But it is AFAIK available as spray.

kitnut617

Humbrol 181 is the Glossy Sea Blue colour to go with  ----- if you can find some.  It's OOP now ---

According to the Humbrol Colour System book, you can mix it like this:

Humbrol paint;  H21 H15 H68 H22
Ratio;              12   10    4     3
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Captain Canada

I just found that out yesterday Robert ! I would have scooped up a few tins otherwise....trying the Testors Model Master version this week. Maybe.....

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

major

Absolutely invaluable link when it comes to paint.

http://www.ipmsstockholm.org/colorcharts/colorcharts.asp

I have, on occasion, and when i'm not skint, and when using a lot of a particular colour,
called to a nice old chap, who will mix FS colours and supply in various handy sized aerosols.
Mixes a lot of custom colours for my cars and bikes. Has perfect matched from just paint chips!
Cheers... Ray

Mossie

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on February 11, 2014, 09:55:43 AM
Quote from: Mossie on February 11, 2014, 08:30:21 AM

NO! Go for 181, it's the original FS 15042 - but IIRC it is out of production. An alternative is Modelmaster 1717, it's also the authentic tone anhd very good - used it on my Sea Mustang Whif.

Humbrol 15 is IMHO way too... blue. FS 15042 has a subtle, greenish hue, pretty unique. Humbrol 15 looks more like a Blue Angels blue, IMHO too light and pale. But it is AFAIK available as spray.

No need to shout, it's rude.

Chris stipulated a spray, in brands that he can easily access.  Humbrol 181 is both not readilly available or available in spray form. As far I'm aware, there are no spray cans that are at an exact match for USN Glossy Sea Blue, certainly that are easily available in the UK.  If I was going to suggest a tin, I'd have suggest Xtracolor X121 or the equivalent Xtracrylix, both readilly available to Chris and spot on colour wise.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Dizzyfugu

No offence intended - just a rather horrified outcry!  ;)

NARSES2

Yup it's a spray I'm after as Mossie says.

I've plenty of tins/tubs of enamel and acrylic in the correct shade just fancied grabbing hold of an aerosol.

I'll check out the Humbrol 15 and also pop into Halfords and see if they have Rover Midnight Blue. I need some primer so will be going in the next week or so.

Cheers Mossie/Kit
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Dizzyfugu

Good idea! Car tones/acrylic sprays could be an option - I have used these as fallback options for authentic tones, as we used to have a large car supply store in town (unfortunately gone with the wind...). Merzedes Benz has an opaque tone called "Schwarzblau" that could come close to FS 15042, even though it will lack the greenish hue. But it's worth a try!

RAL 5011 is also sometimes recommended as FS 15042 alternative - the RAL tones can be found as rattle cans, too.

NARSES2

I'll look at the Humbrol tin in Smiths/MZ tomorrow. Plus I've just discovered there is a Halfords just "over the road" from our Hudder's hotel. Be usefull if they have it otherwise its a bus/walk or bus/tram/walk, bus/train/walk to my nearest branches.