1/72 Bristol Bolton Mk.I High Altitude Fighter

Started by The Big Gimper, February 28, 2014, 02:09:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Big Gimper

It was the winter of 1940 and it was a very grim time. Great Britain was still feeling the sting of Dunkirk but the euphoria the Battle of Britain helped keep up the spirits. But the worst was yet come: The war of music is about to begin.

Starting in November 1940 everyday a Junkers Ju-86P would be winging its way overhead Great Britain: waltzing Windsor Castle with Wagner, bombing the BBC with Beethoven and serenading Shakespeare soliloquies with Strauss.

Needless to say the King and Queen were not amused.

An urgent call from the Marshall of the RAF went out to all aircraft manufactures. Stop the Ju-86P and please stop the music.

Here we have the Bristol Bolton proposal based on their high altitude type 138. Wright R-2600 with supercharger, new canopy, light weight landing gear, 2x 20mm Hispano cannons and  6x browning .303 machine guns.

It is a Frog Bristol 138 with an Airfix B-25 engine, Frog Hornet Prop and spinner, P-38 canopy, Spitfire XIV cockpit, TA-152 air intakes, F8F landing gear struts, doors and wheels. 20mm cannons from Model master. Colour of Eagles PRU Blue with Microscale Micro Satin semi-gloss finish. Decals from almost everywhere.

Work In Progress ::

Lots of stuff

sandiego89

Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

crudebuteffective

Remember, if the reality police ask you haven't seen us in ages!
When does "old enough to know better" kick in?

The Wooksta!

Nice, except Bristol would never have used a US engine when they had their own Hercules and Centaurus powerplants available.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

Alvis 3.14159

Yeah, stop making fictional aircraft with humorous backstories not be totally believable!
:rolleyes:

Alvis 3.141519

CSMO

Twenty millimeter cannon firing through the propeller arc. That is novel, indeed. I would be hoping the ordnance crew and the mechanics got the timing right on the interrupter gear dead-on the money. Cool looking plane. The RAF did take the Ju.86Ps seriously. Well done, sir! Adios, Larry. :thumbsup:
"Field Artillery brings dignity to what otherwise would be merely a vulgar brawl."

Army of One

Nice idea.........like the finish....think we all know someone who's really gonna love it.....
BODY,BODY....HEAD..!!!!

IF YER HIT, YER DEAD!!!!

Weaver

"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Dizzyfugu

Great kitbashing - looks great!  :thumbsup:  :bow:

My next project also goes into that direction, pretty inspirational!

Captain Canada

Funny stuff and beautiful model !

I knew it was a P-38 canopy but that's as far as I could get....great use of the ol' spares box !

:tornado:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

lancer

That is nice, very nice. But, aren't the wings a bit on the long side???   :rolleyes:
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

PR19_Kit

Quote from: lancer on March 01, 2014, 12:50:28 PM
That is nice, very nice. But, aren't the wings a bit on the long side???   :rolleyes:

Nah, that's the LOW altitude version. Wait till he builds the Bolton Mk II..............  ;D :lol:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

The Big Gimper

@Wooksta: Good catch. I  don't have any Hercs etc in the spares box. And the R-2600 fit so nicely on the 139 so I got lazy and ...

@CSMO: Good catch. I installed the 20mm cannons without the prop on. So yes they are firing through the prop arc but the Bristol Boffin's built a special interrupter gear to ensure the shells miss the blades, most of the time.

@Lancer and @PR19_Kit: Hmmm I had not thought of building MK.II but if these wings are too short, then I guess I need to remedy that.

@Alvis, Weaver, Dizzyfugu, Captain Canada et al: Thank you for the kind compliments coming from the Silver Backs of Whiffing ...

Work In Progress ::

Lots of stuff

Captain Canada

Quote from: The Big Gimper on March 01, 2014, 04:37:43 PM
@CSMO: Good catch. I installed the 20mm cannons without the prop on. So yes they are firing through the prop arc but the Bristol Boffin's built a special interrupter gear to ensure the shells miss the blades, most of the time.

Just make sure the armoures get the left-hand turn bullets and right-hand turn bullets into the proper wings  :thumbsup:

Then again, Clyde was an Orangutan..... ;D
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?