1/72 Martin Maine OSM-1 (ex-Matchbox Wellesley)

Started by The Big Gimper, March 01, 2014, 05:11:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Big Gimper

Folks:

Next in line is my Martin Maine OSM-1. It is a Vickers Wellesley licensed built by Martin to provide very long range reconnaissance and over water navigation support in the pacific theater. It was used by the USN as lead ship for fighters transiting from San Fransisco to Hawaii.

I stripped out the cockpit and replaced it with a TBF cockpit. It has two pilots and a wireless operator / gunner. The 2nd pilot is also the navigator. The engine is a Wright R-2600 borrowed from an Airfix B-25. The canopy is also from the TBF. The drop tanks are from a F-84. They have a nice 1940s look to them.

Work In Progress ::

Lots of stuff

sandiego89

Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

The Wooksta!

I'd go for a less powerful engine - the weight and power would probably overload the airframe.  Something like a Cyclone or the engine from a Maryland would be in the right category for the aircraft.  Right timeframe too.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

Captain Canada

Wow....that looks awesome ! Love the new canopy.....really accentuates the sexy lines of the old bird !

:wub:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

PR19_Kit

It's amazing just how Whiffable a Wellesley is, yours must be the 15th different version we've had on here, astonishing.  :o
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

The Wooksta!

Now I remember what I was going to do with the Wellesley I gave to Kitbasher - far east torpedo bomber to replace the Wildebeestes.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan:

Weaver

Splendid stuff!  :thumbsup:

My Wellesley is earmarked for Wellington wings to make a three-engined version.... :wacko:

"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Dizzyfugu

Quote from: PR19_Kit on March 02, 2014, 02:29:49 AM
It's amazing just how Whiffable a Wellesley is, yours must be the 15th different version we've had on here, astonishing.  :o

Yes, the Wellesley has a lot of potential. Lots of aircraft to work with - and this one looks good! Looking forward to see how the area between cockpit and C stand ends up, as well as the eventual livery of that thing? USN Atlantic colors, maybe?

Joe C-P

In want of hobby space!  The kitchen table is never stable.  Still managing to get some building done.

Captain Canada

I like the idea of the torpedoe bomber ! Would take up a lot of deck space but could probably get aloft in a short space !

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

The Wooksta!

It would be landbased RAF as opposed to a navy aircraft, with the same squadrons that flew the Vickers Wilderbeestes.

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan:

The Big Gimper

Quote from: The Wooksta! on March 04, 2014, 12:07:10 PM
It would be landbased RAF as opposed to a navy aircraft, with the same squadrons that flew the Vickers Wilderbeestes.

Hmmmm .. I have an Airfix Beaufighter TF-X which is in the parts bin. The decals are in good shape.

Lots of stuff

The Big Gimper

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on March 03, 2014, 01:13:22 AM
Quote from: PR19_Kit on March 02, 2014, 02:29:49 AM

Yes, the Wellesley has a lot of potential. Lots of aircraft to work with - and this one looks good! Looking forward to see how the area between cockpit and C stand ends up, as well as the eventual livery of that thing? USN Atlantic colors, maybe?

I'm going to do this one in USN Blue-Gray over Light Gull Gray.

Lots of stuff