Announcement: TAM-1, or "a different kind of Frogfoot"

Started by Dizzyfugu, March 04, 2014, 12:43:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dizzyfugu

This is still in the conceptual phase, but the idea is complete and I even found a historic "slot" to justify it.

Currently working on another project, and the twin-fuselage MiG-15 from Bulgaria is also on the list for this GB - but timing looks good that I will be able to add this wacko idea to the GB.

Some time ago, while researching Russian cammo schemes, I stumbled across this whiffy CG:

I liked the idea, but the design has some flaws - e. g. where to put the landing gear? So, there's more potential in it! Well, if we consider the Su-25 as the counterpart to the A-10, why not go all the way and convert a Su-25 to a complete A-10 layout?  :wacko:

Sounds like a challenge and will enter the hardware stage, as a Su-25 V2.0 built in Georgia by Tbilisi Aircraft Manufacturing (TAM) from inherited Frogfoot spare parts, as the type was in Soviet times produced on Georgian ground.

Muahahahaha!  :party:

Librarian

Looks like a superb machine. Most of the damage seen on these a/c (that returned) during conflicts have been to the rear tailpipe. If possible have the horizontal stabilisers below the engine pods to help mask IFR signature. The undercarriage would certainly need some thinking about....it depends on the width of the fuselage. You could have a long gear bay, gear pivots at the centreline, one retracts forward and one backwards.

Taking a longish break right now as the Invader was becoming a strain but I have been thinking about an A-10 fuselage, no engine pods, redesigned tail and a wing with props/nacelles....all part of the Gunship series.

Looking forward to seeing this one completed :thumbsup:.

Captain Canada

Yes it's a very interesting pic, but like you said, going with an all A-10 style layout would address the problems both you and Librarian mentioned.

:tornado:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

McGreig

Back in 2004 in his "Motherload of Russian What-Ifs" thread (www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,2232.0.html), Paul Martell-Mead/Overscan posted this Su-25/A-10 hybrid, but as it appears to retain the Su-25's high wing, it still doesn't deal with the undercarriage issue:

And I'm sure that I've read that Sukhoi were aware of the A-10 layout when designing the Su-25 but decided against it, but now I can't find the reference - - -

It would be good to see this turned into plastic  :thumbsup:

Dizzyfugu

Yes, that's what i have in mind! Just ordered a Hobbycraft Su-25 which allows an easy fuselage conversion, and I also have appropriate resin engine nacelles (ironically from Russia!) in the pipeline, too. I'll probably implant wing nacelles from a Matchbox A-10 for the landing gear, as I want the fuselage to stay clean, and the wings will consequently be mounted low. Original A-10 parts seem to be a bit too large, but the result should look interesting, anyway. Tail surfaces might be tricky, but it's still time for part safaris in the basement. I even have Georgian markings in the decal pile!  :mellow:

kerick

Those Su-25 wings remind me of the wings from an S-3 Viking, of which I have a pair in the stash. Hhmmmmmm......
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Dizzyfugu

They should be longer - a great combo option for the PR 19 memorial GB?  :rolleyes:

kerick

Just have to make a pair of those mini warp drive nacelles for the wing tips.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Dizzyfugu

McColm

Good idea,
Would it work better on the NAW-10 two seater A-10?
Got one in my stash.

Dizzyfugu

Depends on what you want to achive. For a more evil look, go for the two-seater, I'd say, and add some sensor turrets for PGMs and AW duties?

Dizzyfugu

Quick info for the audience: project is postponed (as many others), since I work on something completely different right now in order to get my head free from job troubles. Almost all parts are there, though.

The Hobby Craft Su-25 is the best basis for this I could imagine, I got new engine nacelles (1:144 resin nacelles, actually for a Tu-204 airliner), just the tail surfaces are a bit obscure. A-10 donation parts are just too big, esp. the fins still create some headache. But I am positive that this thing will come, sooner or later.  ;)

PR19_Kit

Yes indeed, the A-10 in any scale looks as if it's been modelled in the next scale above. It's a BIG aeroplane!  :o
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Dizzyfugu

I considered 1:100 (there's a Revell Snap Fit A-10 that could be salvaged...), but that's too small. And in the end I'd prefer a more distinctive look, so I will implant something from the scrap box. There's time for research.  ;)

Dizzyfugu

Hmm, I must admit that this won't enter hardware stage in time - even though I have a plan, the right kit and the spare parts that are to go with it. The TAM-1 will (have to) pop up at another occasion...  :-\