RAM's M41AS Vietnam 1968

Started by Old Wombat, March 04, 2014, 06:35:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Old Wombat on July 25, 2018, 05:09:05 AM

OK, let's see if anyone (especially Aussies, Brit's, Kiwis, South Africans, Indians, West Indians or Pakistanis) can guess what this is!

A cricket kit bag?

Did they come in camo material for use in VietNam, or did the crew dye the WHITE bag?  ;D ;)
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Dizzyfugu

Old Wombat

Thanks, guys! :bow:

Quote from: PR19_Kit on July 25, 2018, 05:22:51 AM
A cricket kit bag?

Did they come in camo material for use in VietNam, or did the crew dye the WHITE bag?  ;D ;)

And the winner is Kit! :smiley:

No, not camo, Kit,  I wanted something a US/Vietnamese tank wouldn't be carrying & found a couple of images of 1960's leather cricket bags on the interweb, which I scratch built from Aves Apoxy Sculpt & 1mm Tamiya tape.
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Old Wombat on July 25, 2018, 01:47:21 PM
Thanks, guys! :bow:

A cricket kit bag?

And the winner is Kit! :smiley:

No, not camo, Kit,  I wanted something a US/Vietnamese tank wouldn't be carrying & found a couple of images of 1960's leather cricket bags on the interweb, which I scratch built from Aves Apoxy Sculpt & 1mm Tamiya tape.

Great, I thought it looked familiar. I had a white one, of course, back in my school days and it was exactly the same shape. REALLY good work scratchbuilding it!  :thumbsup:

Did they have time or the space to play in VietNam? I can just imagine the looks that the US guys gave them knocking the wickets into a convenient field alongside their tank!  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

zenrat

OK, let's see if anyone (especially Aussies, Brit's, Kiwis, South Africans, Indians, West Indians or Pakistanis) can guess what this is!

A cricket kit bag?

Beat me to it.

Looking good Womby.
:thumbsup:
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Old Wombat

Thanks, Fred! :thumbsup:

Quote from: PR19_Kit on July 25, 2018, 02:23:16 PM
Did they have time or the space to play in VietNam? I can just imagine the looks that the US guys gave them knocking the wickets into a convenient field alongside their tank!  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

They're Australians, Kit, of course they had the time & place to have a hit out, just as English troops would: Now is the time! Here is the place! ;D

The other option, still on the table, is an Australian Rules Sherrin football. ;)

zenrat

Quote from: Old Wombat on July 26, 2018, 05:04:47 AM
...The other option, still on the table, is an Australian Rules Sherrin football. ;)

With team scarves?

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

kitnut617

That does look really sharp Guy   :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

NARSES2

That does look good mate  :thumbsup:

Haven't played cricket "properly" for 20 years or so, but my clubs big kit bag was mostly brown leather. Flippin' heavy to when it was full.

Just wondering if it would have carried a name ? The "Sir Donald" ?  ;)
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: NARSES2 on July 26, 2018, 06:06:00 AM

The Viet Cong would retaliate with a T-34 named 'Larwood'..............  ;) ;D

Regards
Kit

Old Wombat

Thanks Chris &, again, Robert! :thumbsup:

Quote from: zenrat on July 26, 2018, 05:14:07 AM
Quote from: Old Wombat on July 26, 2018, 05:04:47 AM
...The other option, still on the table, is an Australian Rules Sherrin football. ;)
With team scarves?

Could combine SANFL, VFL & WANFL teams: Sturt Double Blues, Footscray Bulldogs, Subiaco Maroons & the NSWRL ring-in Parramatta Eels? :unsure:

(I would have gone with the Geelong Cats but I thought you'd prefer the option provided, Fred. ;))

Never Port Adelaide/Collingwood Magpies, though! Oh, NO! :wacko:

Quote from: PR19_Kit on July 26, 2018, 11:51:37 AM
Quote from: NARSES2 on July 26, 2018, 06:06:00 AM
The Viet Cong would retaliate with a T-34 named 'Larwood'..............  ;) ;D

I don't think so. Besides, the Aussies would have called it "The Don". ;)

nighthunter

We Yanks would just tease them for using the Cricket set as a low tech way to sweep for landmines
"Mind that bus." "What bus?" *SPLAT!*

rickshaw

Quote from: nighthunter on July 26, 2018, 08:04:14 PM
We Yanks would just tease them for using the Cricket set as a low tech way to sweep for landmines

If you ever get the chance, watch the Aussie movie, 'The Dish" which is about the Parkes Radio Telescope and the part it played in Apollo 11.  In one scene, they show how they use a cricket bat and a tennis ball to "zero" the telescope's dish.   Aussies use Cricket in inventive ways!   :thumbsup:
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

rickshaw

As usual, I'm open to all constructive criticism. :thumbsup:

You need some means of securing the bag to your vehicle, otherwise it will be shaken off when it moves along.  I'd also question the placing of tools on the glacis and other areas of the vehicle in racks.  The Australian experience in Vietnam was that travelling through the jungle and bush in Vietnam, was that tools and other protruding bits and pieces would get ripped off.  It's why the Leopard AS1 had tool lockers, which protected them.  It's a tradition that has carried on the M1a1 Abrams.

Your dirt and mud looks quite good.  Well done.    :thumbsup:
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

Old Wombat

Quote from: rickshaw on July 26, 2018, 10:13:53 PM
You need some means of securing the bag to your vehicle, otherwise it will be shaken off when it moves along.

Brian (buzzbomb, not you) raised exactly this issue over on BtS.

It's actually a mood issue. Having made straps to secure the cots & the spare tracks I wasn't in the mood to do any more rope work, so I let it slide with the intention of finishing it off later as it's only a minor detail.

Then the Two Brians pick up on it. :banghead: :banghead:

Quote from: rickshaw on July 26, 2018, 10:13:53 PM
I'd also question the placing of tools on the glacis and other areas of the vehicle in racks.  The Australian experience in Vietnam was that travelling through the jungle and bush in Vietnam, was that tools and other protruding bits and pieces would get ripped off.  It's why the Leopard AS1 had tool lockers, which protected them.  It's a tradition that has carried on the M1a1 Abrams.

The RAM tankers haven't figured that out yet.

This is set in 1968 Vietnam. Post-WW2 budget cuts saw the RAMAR reduced to barely more than enough tanks to maintain training, although events in Korea did see the Government allowing them to upgrade to Centurions from Shermans. At this time the RAMAR has only just built up its numbers, with (mostly) leased ex-US Army/USMC M41s, to a point where they can use them with any operational effectiveness. It'll be 1973 before they've built up the numbers of their Centurions sufficiently to cycle them into Vietnam.

(Note: This is not the Vietnam War in our time-line's history books.)