What power tools do you recommend to the novice whiffer?

Started by McColm, March 08, 2014, 09:09:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dizzyfugu

A friend of mine tried that, using an old toothbrush head for this (but I am not certain if he's the one you refer to - he got that from a German modeler forum, maybe it's from there, too?). It's rotating head, which turns left/right  at high speed and at a very limited distance. The original brush fibres were cut off and a piece sand paper attached to the head, with double-sided adhesive tape. Worked well, AFAIK.

NARSES2

Quote from: Weaver on March 14, 2014, 10:06:08 AM

I've got an Ikea one but I must admit that I havn't tried it yet.

If I can face the infamous IKEA purchasing process then that's the one I'm going to get. However if I can't be bother'd to get the tram and then spend at least 30mins trying to spend a £1 I may just pre-order Argos and pick up in Croydon next time I'm shopping.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

McColm

You're right about the cheaper drill versions they are too fast. I use the largest drill that will fit in the chuck makes a good sander if you have too much filler. Will shape the filler and finish by hand.
Using this technique on the Shorts Warrior.

zenrat

Damn, I want a paint mixer and I was in Ikea last week as well.

Catching the tram to IKEA brings back memories.  Catching it home with our purchases was always fun.  Best trip was the time I bought a 6' stepladder from the adjacent DIY wharehouse...
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

kerick

Whatever paint mixer you use, make sure it has stopped turning before lifting it out of the bottle!!!!
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

zenrat

Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

McColm

When the Revell 1/72 Airbus A400M Grizzly/Atlas was delivered I found a copy of Expo drills and tools inside.
www.expotools.com
The prices are affordable for what I need.

zenrat

A moment of silent contemplation please.
My "best" Dremmel just burnt out.
This was a mere 15 years old genuine Dremmel (made in USA) with built in speed control.
She died as she lived, grinding grout on the bathroom floor with a rotary wire brush on the end of a flexi-drive.

I now have to rely on my cheap Ozito knock off.

Fred

steelpillow

I would never use a power tool on a model unless it was a fairly large scale and made of metal.

For drilling small holes, get a hand chuck: it's basically the business end of a miniature drill but with only a stub shaft that you cab brace against your palm instead of a handle. You turn it by twiddling the gnarly bit round.

To sand large areas, use fine wet-and-dry paper wet. To get them flat, lay the wet paper on a sheet of rigid metal or glass.

Paint mixing is different, though I am 'old school' stir and shake vigorously until arms drop off, retrieve arms and repeat. I find it calming. I did once made a tinlet shaker out of meccano. Trouble was, it shook all the bolts loose.
Cheers.

PR19_Kit

I use a Dremel and a Mini-Tool for drilling and sanding, or for getting rid of areas if styrene that need not to be there. If Dremel weren't so b****y minded about the size of their chucks I wouldn't need the Mini-Tool of course.  :banghead:

I made a powered paint mixer out of a time-expired Revell slot-racing motor and a piece of bent brass tube back in the mid-60s and I still use it most days.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

jcf

What I have/use:
Foredom S flex-shaft with #30 handpiece
Corded Dremel with 4486 Jacobs-type chuck (used in drill press and router mounts)
Cordless Dremel with 1/32, 1/16, 3/32 and 1/8" collets
DeWalt 20" variable-speed, variable-tension jigsaw (pinless blade type, use jewelers saw blades for small work)
Craftsman 12" tilt-head bandsaw for cutting basswood, aluminum, plex etc.

NARSES2

Quote from: steelpillow on November 01, 2014, 09:18:05 AM
Paint mixing is different, though I am 'old school' stir and shake vigorously until arms drop off, retrieve arms and repeat. I find it calming. I did once made a tinlet shaker out of meccano. Trouble was, it shook all the bolts loose.

Yup, I to find it can be quite relaxing. Count to 200 and repeat  ;D

I don't use power tools at all I must admit. Most of my builds don't require them and the occasional one that might benefit doesn't justify the cost. Anyway I'd probably have to move 100 yards from the nearest habitation to power sand resin under H&S regs  :blink: :rolleyes:

albeback

Don't use power tools. Don't even own an airbrush. I do however have a Precision Mini Drill. That's it!!  :lol: Apart from that, the only power tool I use when modelling is the coffee maker!!  I have a selection of foam backed sanding pads which I use. Very useful for large areas

Allan
Loves JMNs but could never eat a whole one!!