RF-20 Super Tigereye; Another FAR conversion

Started by FAR148, March 09, 2014, 01:17:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gondor

You forgot option three: Crash mould a now piece

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

nighthunter

Or option 4, find a replacement from someone, I have a Mirage 3 recon noise piece...
"Mind that bus." "What bus?" *SPLAT!*

Ian the Kiwi Herder

I have a feeling I already know what you're response will be, friend, but there is the 'is it really that noticeable ??' option.... Just a thought, Steven  :thumbsup:

Ian
"When the Carpet Monster tells you it's full....
....it's time to tidy the workbench"

Confuscious (maybe)

FAR148

What's the 'is it really that noticeable ??' option?  :unsure:

Ian the Kiwi Herder

"Let it go...." - to quote a well known contemporary Disney movie song. Could you leave it as it is and overlook it ??. As I said (and knowing your passion for detail), I'm fairly sure what the response will be !!

Ian

Confuscious (maybe)

FAR148

Quote"Let it go...."

Yeah, I'm still struggling to learn that lesson!  ;D

Steven

Weaver

Fantastic work!  :thumbsup:

Re the cracked window, there's always the Whiffjitsu option: instead of letting it go and saying nothing about it, let it go but make up an outrageous tale in the back story to account for it. Result: you still don't have to fix the crack, and you get some back story "colour" as a bonus.

For instance: you could do it in Chilean colours, then say this is what it looked like after hitting a condor over the Andes, the compensation being the look on the bird's face in the last photo the plane took before it hit it... :wacko:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Old Wombat

Have you tried dipping the part in Future or similar?

I fixed a couple of scratches & cracks doing that with the Defender build, I think it was. Worked well.
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

FAR148

QuoteHave you tried dipping the part in Future or similar?

Yeah and the crack is still there. I'm still leaning toward option two.

Here's a small update. This morning I did a paint test on her drop tank. First I shot the whole tank Euro I gray. Next I added my silly putty stripes.

I then reshot the whole tank in Neutral Gray.

Then I removed the silly putty and now I got one tiger striped drop tank  :thumbsup:

Thanks for looking,
Steven L  :cheers:

kerick

I have silly putty in the drawer. I have to remember to use this idea soon. It sure give great results. ;D
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

silverwindblade

Hmm, I don't have an airbrush, but I wonder if this would work with brush-painting?
Amidst the blue skies, a link from past to future. The sheltering wings of the protector...
Gordon's Alive, a Podcast I host. Check us out!

Ian the Kiwi Herder

Yep it's a great technique, used it many times. My aggressor Gripen was done the same way:

Not sure that using a brush would generate the same result, but the obvious way to find out is to try.... preferably on something small and insignificant first.

Steven great wee update as usual. friend.

Ian

Confuscious (maybe)

PR19_Kit

Quote from: silverwindblade on June 01, 2014, 02:19:43 PM
Hmm, I don't have an airbrush, but I wonder if this would work with brush-painting?

Why not?

So many reviews and forum blogs assume that you HAVE to use an airbrush these days. It's just not true, brushes work well too, they just need different techniques.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Old Wombat

One of the big things you'd have to worry about with brush painting this is the brush dragging up the underlying darker coat, a coat of Future (or similar) before putting on the silly putty should prevent this, plus a rub over with a very fine grade sandpaper after the 2nd coat to remove any paint ridges should work a treat.

:cheers:

PS: Remember to only use acrylics for this, especially the 2nd coat, as I'm pretty sure the solvents in enamels dissolve silly putty.
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

silverwindblade

I only use Acrylics anyway, so that particular issue shouldn't come up. I'll give it a try on something when I have the chance and see how it develops. In the meantime, thread hijack over!
Amidst the blue skies, a link from past to future. The sheltering wings of the protector...
Gordon's Alive, a Podcast I host. Check us out!