RF-20 Super Tigereye; Another FAR conversion

Started by FAR148, March 09, 2014, 01:17:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kerick

Question from a non-user of PE. How do you attach such a piece as that without filling all those tiny holes with glue?
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

FAR148

QuoteQuestion from a non-user of PE. How do you attach such a piece as that without filling all those tiny holes with glue?

A very, very, very tiny drop of super glue spread around so that it's a thin as possible. Then careful place the part. If you place the part wrong and your super glue is thin enough, you can slide a xacto under the part and remove it(just don't bent it). Once off, lightly sand the super glue off the part and where you first place it then give it another go. Which I had to do to the other side. All in all, it worked out fine.

Hope that helps,
Steven L  :cheers:

Captain Canada

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

kerick

Quote from: FAR148 on April 13, 2014, 03:54:01 PM
QuoteQuestion from a non-user of PE. How do you attach such a piece as that without filling all those tiny holes with glue?

A very, very, very tiny drop of super glue spread around so that it's a thin as possible. Then careful place the part. If you place the part wrong and your super glue is thin enough, you can slide a xacto under the part and remove it(just don't bent it). Once off, lightly sand the super glue off the part and where you first place it then give it another go. Which I had to do to the other side. All in all, it worked out fine.

Hope that helps,
Steven L  :cheers:

I've heard of using a pin dipped in CA to apply a very small amount. I'll have to try it. Thanks!
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

FAR148

It's been a while since I posted an update. The past few weeks been super busy at work and had no time to play with my Super Tigereye. Now that I'm back on normal work hours and got some much needed rest, I manage to do a little work on her. I got the rest of her flight control surfaces on alone with the missile rails. I also fitted and glued the cowl covering the instrument panel into place.

Until next time,
Steven L   :cheers:

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

silverwindblade

Loving seeing this take shape. Taking a lot of notes on how your do things, too..! :)
Amidst the blue skies, a link from past to future. The sheltering wings of the protector...
Gordon's Alive, a Podcast I host. Check us out!

Sauragnmon

Always makes me want to give up and take up knitting, seeing the absolutely impressive work you do...
Putty-fu, Scratch-jutsu and Bash-chi, the sacred martial arts of the What-If. Mastering them, is Ancient Chinese Secret.

Just your friendly neighbourhood Mad Scientist and Ship-whiffer.

Overkill? Nah, it's Insurance.  So are the 20" guns.

Captain Canada

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Daryl J.

Mmmm!

(Pauses for a zenlike moment of appreciation)

TallEng

Most impressive :thumbsup:
Is it me or Just quickly looking at it, it looks like the front is painted Lt. gull grey, with white
Control surfaces (classic USN) ;D
I just couldn't think why the back would be black.. Unless it was going to get a big Skull and Cross bones?...
I'll get my hat and coat :blink:

Regards
Keith
The British have raised their security level from "Miffed" to "Peeved". Soon though, security levels may be raised yet again to "Irritated" or even "A Bit Cross". Londoners have not been "A Bit Cross" since the Blitz in 1940 when tea supplies ran out for three weeks

Jkob

I find the RF planes ugly, but the work you're making is impressive, congratulations  :thumbsup:

Ian the Kiwi Herder

Don't know why I haven't been getting reply notifications.... Hmmmmm  :blink:

Great work, Steven, just exceptional clarity of description aswell. Keep it coming, friend. I'm still watching (im)patiently from the sideline !!

Ian
"When the Carpet Monster tells you it's full....
....it's time to tidy the workbench"

Confuscious (maybe)

FAR148

QuoteGreat work, Steven, just exceptional clarity of description as well. Keep it coming, friend. I'm still watching (im)patiently from the sideline !!

Thanks Ian  :thumbsup:

Got good news and bad news. first the good news. She's really getting very close to paint. And now the bad news,(its not so bad) The clear part the is that is the glass over the cameras, cracked. Note to self... don't use super glue accelerator on clear parts. I used super glue to glue into place and should have sat it aside and let it dry/cure on its own. But I didn't...  I added a drop of accelerator and heard a crack :banghead: #$%&!!! The heat from the rapidly curing super glue cause it to crack. So.... not going to try to redo it. That leaves me with two options; one is to make some protective covers out of styrene, paint them red and glue them into place. Or two, Paint or cover the window area chrome silver. I'm leaning toward option two now. Easy and quick. Keep the build moving forward.

Thanks for looking,
Steven

Captain Canada

That sucks....but I like option 2 as well, keep her moving !

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?